Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Southside

Poll: So how are you feeling now, and a few predictions

Poll: So how are you feeling now, and a few predictions  

112 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Overall, how are you feeling about the program right now (staff, roster, etc)

2. 2. (see OP) How are you feeling about how the roster is starting to fill out?

• Very happy
    • Happy that key guys are returning, but want to see some key additions
    • Unsure at this point
    • Unhappy
    • Horrible
  3. 3. How do you feel about Woodson hire now?

4. 4. How do you feel about the Matta hire now

• Very happy
    • Happy
    • Indifferent / Unsure
    • Unhappy
    • Horrible
  5. 5. How do you feel about the Fife hire?

• Very happy
    • Happy
    • Indifferent / Unsure
    • Unhappy
    • Horrible
  6. 6. How do you feel about the Kenya Hunter retention

7. 7. Will Franklin be back

8. 8. Will Thompson be back?

9. 9. Will Henderson be back?

10. 10. Will Brunk be back?

11. 11. Will Phinisee be back?

12. 12. Will Hunter be back?

13. 13. Your way early prediction on our Big 10 regular season rank next season?

14. 14. Will we make the tourney next season?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2021 at 04:52 AM

While I'm watching the game, thought I'd test the new limits of our polls (thanks @Hovadipo).

So how are you feeling right now after some of the dust has started to settle?

PS - Go Baylor

Staff Hired

• HC Woodson - x-IU player, underrated NBA coaching career, this is his dream job. 
  • Associate AD Matta - Was a great HC at Butler, Xavier, and OSU. Great development, and great shooting were his hallmarks. Knows the MW.
  • Assistant Dane Fife - x-IU player, known for strong D, mentored by Izzo, and was ranked a top 10 recruiter by 247 in 2021. Coach in waiting?
  • Note - 1 assistant coach spot remains open

Staff Retained

• Kenya Hunter - experience from Ucon, Georgetown, Duquesne, Nebraska, and NC State. Great coach of bigs. Recruiting ties to the DC area and NE in general. 

2021 and 2022 Commits retained - both/all

Players confirmed returning (or re-recruited)

• Jackson Davis - huge re-recruitment win. Instant centerpiece. His comments about the program finally having some excitement was, well, exciting.
  • Lander - Our prized 5 star PG recruit from last year, back in the fold
  • Geronimo - 4 star SF from last year's class. Momma lost this battle.
  • Leal - probably our best future pure shooter from last years class
  • Stewart - competent combo guard who shoots well. Should play a big role next season.
  • Galloway - high energy guy from last year's class. 

In the Portal or gone

• Franklin - TBD - IL?
  • Thompson - TBD - MN?
  • Henderson - TBD
  • Durham - Gone - Providence

Hasn't commented

• Brunk - likely coming back, or retire.
  • Hunter - assuming he'll stay
  • Phinisee - assuming he'll stay

Note - Apologies if I've got any of the above wrong. With all the moving pieces, not sure I've read everything.

15 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Henderson? The walk on? I thought he left the team

I just saw an article showing our current state of the roster, and his name listed as portal guys with zero info.

I know nothing about his situation, except I assume he'll talk to Woodson. 

Low priority, but didn't want to leave him out.

30 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Hmm... I’ve honesty never heard of him. 

I've seen his name on the roster, but never had a clue about him.

Just knew he was a walk on.

Guessing he'll end up at a small school where he can play some his last year. I wish him well. 

I’m excited for what Woodson and the program are doing so far, and hopefully we get Franklin and a few transfers in here, but these players have a lot of work to do before I get too optimistic about next season. I’d almost feel more comfortable about immediate results if there was more roster turnover. However, I think our freshmen have a lot of potential and am anxious to see what real coaching does for their development over the next few years.

I’m thinking we’re a bubble team as things stand now.

2 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

I’m excited for what Woodson and the program are doing so far, and hopefully we get Franklin and a few transfers in here, but these players have a lot of work to do before I get too optimistic about next season. I’d almost feel more comfortable about immediate results if there was more roster turnover. However, I think our freshmen have a lot of potential and am anxious to see what real coaching does for their development over the next few years.

I’m thinking we’re a bubble team as things stand now.

I'm putting my rose colored glasses on....

5 - Brunk/TJD/Duncomb

4 - TJD/Thompson/Hunter/Duncomb

3- Geronimo/Hunter/ Leal (if we go small and if he keeps growing)

2- Stewart or Leal or Galloway

1- Landers or Stewart or Phin

Throw in Franklin at 2 if he comes back.

IMO, just with a better scheme, improvements in shooting (Matta has a plan), and a few transfers in, and I really like how things are shaping up. I think Stewart will be big next season.

12 hours ago, Southside said:

It would have been interesting if we had the same type poll from when Archie was hired, to compare.

Exactly ... I know many will claim to have hated the Archie hire right from the start, but I think only a small percentage of the fan base was not excited. It's easy to say and do the right things early -- to win the press conference, if you will.

When Archie successfully re-recruited Al Durham, Justin Smith and Clifton Moore, it looked good. Most loved how Archie said he was gonna reclaim the recruiting foothold in Indiana -- after Crean had lost it. He was no-nonsense, tough, hard-nosed -- while Crean was tabbed a "used car salesman." I remember many (myself included) were thinking: Can you imagine if Archie had coached Crean's players -- we wouldn't have missed the NCAA tourney. 

Now, we're thinking the same about Coach Woody. It's easy to do: He got Race, Khristian, Stewart to pull out of the transfer portal and persuaded TJD to stay (which I never thought was possible). Got Dane Fife on staff. Thad Matta is on board. Larry Brown will be at the ready. All are great optics. Can you imagine if he were coaching Archie's players? A little deja vu, eh? But what really matters are Ws and Ls -- and we're months from seeing how that will go. 

Obviously, I'm hoping for the best -- but there's still a good part of me that remains skeptical. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. 

14 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Exactly ... I know many will claim to have hated the Archie hire right from the start, but I think only a small percentage of the fan base was not excited. It's easy to say and do the right things early -- to win the press conference, if you will.

When Archie successfully re-recruited Al Durham, Justin Smith and Clifton Moore, it looked good. Most loved how Archie said he was gonna reclaim the recruiting foothold in Indiana -- after Crean had lost it. He was no-nonsense, tough, hard-nosed -- while Crean was tabbed a "used car salesman." I remember many (myself included) were thinking: Can you imagine if Archie had coached Crean's players -- we wouldn't have missed the NCAA tourney. 

Now, we're thinking the same about Coach Woody. It's easy to do: He got Race, Khristian, Stewart to pull out of the transfer portal and persuaded TJD to stay (which I never thought was possible). Got Dane Fife on staff. Thad Matta is on board. Larry Brown will be at the ready. All are great optics. Can you imagine if he were coaching Archie's players? A little deja vu, eh? But what really matters are Ws and Ls -- and we're months from seeing how that will go. 

Obviously, I'm hoping for the best -- but there's still a good part of me that remains skeptical. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. 

IDK. I was pretty meh about Archie, and pretty excited about the stuff overall that's happening now.