Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Dane Fife returns HOME to Join Mike Woodsons staff

9 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

"Coach Izzo has always known that it is my dream to coach at Indiana, to be the coach at Indiana"

Dane isn't shy about his desire to take over one day. Also speaks to why he wasn't considered the head coach in waiting at MSU.

Yep. Hopefully he’s taking over to help us win lucky number seven 

Maybe Dane will run the IU program one day. Maybe not. 

But he's definitely got the personality for it. 

On Rob: "That's one of my first objectives coming here. Stella figured out how to get her groove back. We've got to get Rob Phinisee to figure out how to get his groove back. I don't think there's a better defender in the league than Rob Phinisee."

The only time -- and there may have been more, but I only saw it once -- where Archie showed a little bit of personality was after one of our wins two seasons ago, someone asked him about the gum he was chomping on. And he provided a pretty light-hearted answer. But those moments were almost non-existent during his four years here. My guess is he was the same way with his players. Unless you're an absolute basketball genius, and even then, you have to have some connection with your players. It just seemed as if Archie had none. 

I cannot imagine players not feeling a connection to Dane. 

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

On Rob: "That's one of my first objectives coming here. Stella figured out how to get her groove back. We've got to get Rob Phinisee to figure out how to get his groove back. I don't think there's a better defender in the league than Rob Phinisee."

The only time -- and there may have been more, but I only saw it once -- where Archie showed a little bit of personality was after one of our wins two seasons ago, someone asked him about the gum he was chomping on. And he provided a pretty light-hearted answer. But those moments were almost non-existent during his four years here. My guess is he was the same way with his players. Unless you're an absolute basketball genius, and even then, you have to have some connection with your players. It just seemed as if Archie had none. 

Hopeful they can get Phinisee back to his best self.  Dude has the potential to be a big deal the next 2 years 

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I really enjoyed archie comparing people to sesame street and comparing one of them to oscar the grouch. Other than that, maybe his niceties comment in a game was probably the most personality we got to see out of Archie. Dane definitely displays much more character for sure

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I cannot imagine players not feeling a connection to Dane. 

Dane is well regarded and very well could be our next coach, he's the guy I wanted after masshole. 

Archie has a personality, you just have to get him out of the office to see it. Check out his interview with HH.  

I loved this interview. Confident, fair, and unapologetic. 

He asked 'sense of ownership' to media members regularly covering IU athletics, which I've never heard from anyone and I liked very much. He also said Indiana basketball should be for all who love Indiana basketball, and they need to increase interactions with fans all over Indiana to show appreciation. 

I think he is our next coach when CMW retires. 

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep. Hopefully he’s taking over to help us win lucky number seven 

So you think in the 10-15 years he'll be the coach (hopefully he's that successful) before retiring, Woodson will win only 1 NC?

"Coach Izzo has always known that it is my dream to coach at Indiana, to be the coach at Indiana"
Dane isn't shy about his desire to take over one day. Also speaks to why he wasn't considered the head coach in waiting at MSU.
And yet I got hammered on here for saying I think this was the plan coming in. Whether or not things will go as planned is debatable but I still believe the plan was to eventually take over for CMW. The more I hear from Dane the more I believe that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Just now, rcs29 said:

And yet I got hammered on here for saying I think this was the plan coming in. Whether or not things will go as planned is debatable but I still believe the plan was to eventually take over for CMW. The more I hear from Dane the more I believe that.

I don’t think that it’s the plan, but I do think that it’s Dane’s plan or at least his goal. I don’t doubt that Dane wants the job someday. I just don’t think IU has thought 10 years into the future at this point. Woody just got hired a couple weeks ago.  

I don’t think that it’s the plan, but I do think that it’s Dane’s plan or at least his goal. I don’t doubt that Dane wants the job someday. I just don’t think IU has thought 10 years into the future at this point. Woody just got hired a couple weeks ago.  
Maybe CMW doesn't want to do it for that long. None of us know what was discussed. But when Dane says things like taking this job under the right description and getting what he thinks he deserved just makes me believe that. Time will tell but why wouldn't an AD be putting speculative plans together for the not so distant future? Doesn't mean any of the involved are beholden to said plans but it'd be smart to be thinking ahead.