Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

He wasn’t on their staff last year according to their roster.

He was let go when Johnson was fired. And I imagine he was a little bit of a tough hire until he was cleared in the Adidas deal. Personally, I have zero problem with it. If you’re gonna have a recruiting in these days, Atlanta is easily the one to have.

26 minutes ago, VO5 said:

It’s what every good team is about. Every team plays in the grey area. You have a view from the past that just isn’t reality today. This is just how it’s done anymore. We would never get the talent to compete if we weren’t operating in the grey area like Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc. you may not like it, but our basketball program will be even more of an afterthought if we don’t get with the times. A portion of our fanbase likes to think it’s 1976 still and times have just changed. College athletics is moving in a different direction and if we don’t move with it, well we’ll just be a has been. 

And if you’re good at it, the fans never know. Take Villanova, for example. Lots of people think they’re ‘clean,’ but I’d bet money that they’re operating in the gray area. Even Crean had a few questionable recruits during his time here. We gotta be willing to play on a level playing field if we want IU basketball to be where he wants it to be. 

I’m sure Larry Brown has told Woody a thing or two, lol. Maybe we’ll have him operating back channels. 

8 minutes ago, Josh said:

Really?  So what's he been doing?

Training top talent high school kids.  Holding camps.   Visiting college basketball programs.  Coaches are like a fraternity so when coaches get fired and are out of the game other coaches invite them to observe their practices.  I remember when Rice got fired from unlv he was in Bloomington a couple days with Crean.  

5 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Oh my bad, thought he got let go

Maybe he did.  Others here have said so, but there's really very little to find about him online.  He has some damning info about him with the fbi probe.  Others here have said he was cleared in spite of it, but I can't find anything on that either.  Quite a mystery man tbh.

But like I said, if Woody wants him I'm OK with it I guess

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

And if you’re good at it, the fans never know. Take Villanova, for example. Lots of people think they’re ‘clean,’ but I’d bet money that they’re operating in the gray area. Even Crean had a few questionable recruits during his time here. We gotta be willing to play on a level playing field if we want IU basketball to be where he wants it to be. 

I’m sure Larry Brown has told Woody a thing or two, lol. Maybe we’ll have him operating back channels. 

Sad but true. In fact it has probably never been as clean as some of us want to think.

3 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Sad but true. In fact it has probably never been as clean as some of us want to think.

Oh absolutely. Just look at UCLA back in the day with Coach Wooden. Sam Gilbert was giving players cars, cash, and clothes at every turn. I think it is probably more rampant now, but it’s been a part of college sports for a long time. 

Also he comes up in the Dawkins saga because he meets with Dawkins and Blazer and undercovers and says “whatever you need me to do, I’ll do it,” apparently with respect to recruiting players.

I would not jump to conclusions that it means he’d run cash or trade favors inappropriately. Seems like he’s in a meeting with some handler-types and just says some boilerplate thing to me.

I’m not naive, but this is far from concerning absent other stuff, and if there was “other stuff” it would’ve come up. This was a fed operation with subpoenas of bank records and so on. 

11 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Judging by thread titles from Peegs, it appears Rosemond is trending

Yup. Even the Indystar tossed his name out (the only name they used) today when talking about likely assistants. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/04/09/indiana-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-mike-woodson-coaching-staff/7160914002/