Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I'm guessing also but if he has been the guy for a couple of days, he's either been working a transfer or a 5* and won't be announced until something is done

He refers to Jabari Smith as his nephew on twitter and it says in a post on there that Smith planned to go to Alabama and play but that didn't work out so he committed to Auburn. That would be my first guess. 

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

He refers to Jabari Smith as his nephew on twitter and it says in a post on there that Smith planned to go to Alabama and play but that didn't work out so he committed to Auburn. That would be my first guess. 

he signed with Auburn not just committed. Seems it would be a little more difficult to bring him to IU in that case. 

The only uncommitted 5* I see is Efton Reid. If that isn't the player being referenced then there wouldn't be any issue if they had committed but hadn't yet signed. It could get tricky if the player has signed, like Jabari Smith mentioned above. Does the transfer waiver this year include incoming freshmen if the school refuses to give the player a release? Assuming, of course, this scenario comes to pass, which I'm not sold on.

Also, can 2021 signees use the one-time transfer rule if they wish to get out of an official commitment, or do you need to have played a year first? In the olden days you'd have to sit out a year if a school didn't release you from a signed commitment, but it's possible guys could burn that one-time instant transfer waiver to recommit elsewhere if they wanted to.

12 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Did Aminu Mohammed sign with Georgetown? He'd also fit Woodson's style defensively and as a slashing style wing.

I was trying to think if Woodson had any connection to Mike Miller and if Mason would reconsider his Creighton commitment after the McDermott issues this year. Wishful thinking. 

50 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm guessing also but if he has been the guy for a couple of days, he's either been working a transfer or a 5* and won't be announced until something is done

That would be ideal.

48 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

This would be amazing if he brought in Jabari Smith. Wow!

https://247sports.com/Player/Jabari-Smith-46058607/

7 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Also, can 2021 signees use the one-time transfer rule if they wish to get out of an official commitment, or do you need to have played a year first? In the olden days you'd have to sit out a year if a school didn't release you from a signed commitment, but it's possible guys could burn that one-time instant transfer waiver to recommit elsewhere if they wanted to.

Don't know the answer about commits/letter of intent, and I didn't have time to read the whole thing (yet), but it sounds like the transfer portal was designed to remove the school release (that you reference). It refers to that in the past tense...

Previously in Division I, when student-athletes wanted to transfer, they had to ask their coach for permission to contact other schools. If the coach denied the request, student-athletes could make their case to the athletics director.

If permission was still denied, student-athletes could make the request to a designated campus administrator, such as a dean of students. If the request still wasn’t approved, the final step would be to appeal to a committee that consists of professionals on campus and other students.

Those who didn’t receive permission still could transfer but couldn’t be offered athletics aid at the new school.

https://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/what-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-is/

55 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

he signed with Auburn not just committed. Seems it would be a little more difficult to bring him to IU in that case. 

He could get out of it. Xavier Johnson did when he signed with Nebraska and wanted to go to Pitt after Hunter left. 

Just now, ap2345 said:

He could get out of it. Xavier Johnson did when he signed with Nebraska and wanted to go to Pitt after Hunter left. 

That's a completely different situation. 

I agree he could get out of it. But it's not nearly as simple as if he were just committed. 

40 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Did Aminu Mohammed sign with Georgetown? He'd also fit Woodson's style defensively and as a slashing style wing.

Yes, he signed. Zero chance he backs up on it.

20 hours ago, IUrocker said:

I wonder why he all of a sudden tweeted that info about Lewis? Did he just now find it out so he’s letting people know, or did he know it already and is putting it out there because the announcement of who it’s gonna be is coming? 

Sorry... late to this party... WHO tweeted the info about Lewis?

Guess who Rosemond has personally trained with? None other than Bruce Thornton who committed to OSU. Have to imagine this would be a possibility now with him in the fold. He’s also been training/working with other 4 star kids as well. Wasn’t a fan of this at first but this guy has some serious connections. Bring him on