Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

Mike Woodson and His Coaching Staff

Chris 007: Fife has turned down mid-major roles he said in a podcast on Peegs.  ______ The right head coach job may not have been offered to Fife. I very much hope Woodson brings on Fife or Lewis. But I really don't know why either one would leave Michigan State or UCLA to make a lateral move as an assistant coach.  Lewis must be feeling especially satisfied by the work he has done at UCLA. And, Fife may be waiting out Izzo's retirement. We'll see.

If Fife has no plans on taking a HC job until a P5 one comes up, he’s better off coming to IU and gaining more experience under Woody. Hopefully with the expectation that Woody succeeds and Fife is his successor as I think we can all agree Fife would rather have the IU job 6 years down the road than MSU. And there’s a decent chance those are both possibilities for him at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Do you see Dane being upset when Dewayne Stephens gets the MSU job? Isn't his wife from Indiana?

Fife and Lewis bring much of the same thing in terms of recruiting. No real benefit to bringing both. And Fife has it nice where he is.

Just now, Ephul said:

Fife and Lewis bring much of the same thing in terms of recruiting. No real benefit to bringing both. And Fife has it nice where he is.

If Dane wants to be a career assistant I'm all for it. I will always root for him when he's not playing IU

Here is the difference about both Fife and Lewis. They are both IU guys that love IU. They want to see IU get back to being great and probably would like to be a part of that. IF they would be able to then they would find their names in the mix for several head coaching jobs and they might not even have to go the mid major route. There could also be an added benefit for them as well of working with Matta in case a job at a certain Big East job opens up in a couple years that Matta has connections to and there aren't any head coaching candidates in house at that school right now. As for Fife he is not the head coach in waiting at MSU and he knows that he's not. So that is not a reason that he would stay at MSU. GO GET THEM BOTH. Thanks for coming to my TED TALK!

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I have no intel, someone asked me what I thought and I gave my opinion. I think Lewis would take a mid-major job to become a head coach, Fife has said he's turned some down to stay as an assistant at a P5 program. I will drive to Indy to get Lewis after the FF or all the way up to Michigan to get Fife if either wants to come to IU or both. 

Yeah, I believe Fife first accepted the Duquesne job in 2017 before changing his mind and turning it down.

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I have no intel, someone asked me what I thought and I gave my opinion. I think Lewis would take a mid-major job to become a head coach, Fife has said he's turned some down to stay as an assistant at a P5 program. I will drive to Indy to get Lewis after the FF or all the way up to Michigan to get Fife if either wants to come to IU or both. 

So you like Jasper guys now?

I would think if Fife is comming, he would be here by now.  MSU has been done for a while.  Does make sense that we are waiting on Lewis and probably "surprised" UCLA is in the finals.  

5 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I would think if Fife is comming, he would be here by now.  MSU has been done for a while.  Does make sense that we are waiting on Lewis and probably "surprised" UCLA is in the finals.  

Get that sense as well, if Fife was coming I don't know what the delay would be over. I think Lewis is more likely.

On another note, have you all seen the rumors about Buckley? Long time assistant under Crean and current assistant at UNLV, he's apparently a candidate for one spot. Wouldn't mind him after how terrible our teams have been shooting wise. 

7 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Maybe IU is waiting to announce Lewis and Fife together or Woodson hasn’t finished sorting through his assistant options yet. There could be any number of reasons and sometimes things like this can take a few days.

8 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I'm guessing that at this point Roberts isn't being retained since there's been no announcement. 

He’s been at both meetings so I’m guessing he’ll be around in some capacity.