Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Trayce Jackson-Davis Announces Return to Indiana Basketball (QUOTES IN OP)

9 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I think we need to let the dust settle first and see what players come back and what ones don't.  Durham's exit left 32 1/2 minutes open.  IF both Race and Geronimo transferred, that works out to another 34 1/2 minutes per game open,  Franklin and Lander?  We don't know.

Point is, at this point we are yet to have anyone transfer in for sure and haven't had anyone but Al leave for sure.  I expect if Leal can shoot, he's going to see the court.  Galloway will need to be better on the perimeter but he can guard multiple positions.  I'm expecting that IF we can retain enough players and bring in guys that are capable, the minutes will be there for the splits.  I'm not expecting the mainly seven man rotation and then everyone else just get a couple of spot minute time next year.

You think we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves? Probably so :-)

11 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I think we need to let the dust settle first and see what players come back and what ones don't.  Durham's exit left 32 1/2 minutes open.  IF both Race and Geronimo transferred, that works out to another 34 1/2 minutes per game open,  Franklin and Lander?  We don't know.

Point is, at this point we are yet to have anyone transfer in for sure and haven't had anyone but Al leave for sure.  I expect if Leal can shoot, he's going to see the court.  Galloway will need to be better on the perimeter but he can guard multiple positions.  I'm expecting that IF we can retain enough players and bring in guys that are capable, the minutes will be there for the splits.  I'm not expecting the mainly seven man rotation and then everyone else just get a couple of spot minute time next year.

I think we get better with Durham gone. That's 32 1/2 minutes going to players with way more potential to better. 

2 hours ago, Silat Player said:

In all honesty, no one has any idea how Woodson's tenure will be. It's not like he has any college record to look back on. 

I think his hiring is either going to be a home run or a massive strike out. I would be shocked if it is anywhere in between. 

The main question seemed to be whether he could recruit at the college level or not. He seems to be doing OK so far. To me, there's no doubt he can coach. And he has had to adapt to the ever changing rosters of NBA teams. As a defensive assistant coach, he had to know NBA offenses to defend against them. I think the college game will not be that difficult for him to figure out. Every hire has question marks. I was sceptical about this at first. But, this week has made me more excited than I have been in a very long time. That says a lot because I have been watching since the mid 50's.

I could see a situation where it’s tough to find minutes for these two next year.
I can see a situation where archie sucked at many levels and both players making a huge leap. Leal in shooting and Galloway being a great all around player. He was good to start i feel he regressed for a reason. Bob knight would made both great hoosier ball players we would be proud of. Coach Woodson i believe will do same. Leal was touted as a shooter we didn't see it but who under archie became a great shooter. I will wait for the answer

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, coonhounds said:

I can see a situation where archie sucked at many levels and both players making a huge leap. Leal in shooting and Galloway being a great all around player. He was good to start i feel he regressed for a reason. Bob knight would made both great hoosier ball players we would be proud of. Coach Woodson i believe will do same. Leal was touted as a shooter we didn't see it but who under archie became a great shooter. I will wait for the answer

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oh I think he will but I see them being big contributors in year 3 and 4. I’m still considering next year as year 1 for them.

In a 4 out set does the 1 take many outside shots? If not then with all the talk about TJD improving his outside game why assume he stays down low?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

In a 4 out set does the 1 take many outside shots? If not then with all the talk about TJD improving his outside game why assume he stays down low?

Woody very much wants a longer team.

I could easily see us with a pg, maybe a 6’3” Xavier Johnson, Parker at the two,  Leal or Hunter at the three, TJD spotted by Hunter at the four, and Brunk and Duncomb splitting the five.

Could even be Armaan and Parker at the two guard spots at 6’4” each.

6 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Pick and pop, plus he will have to play some 4 when Brunk & Logan are in.

Excited TJD is coming back. Regardless of any incoming transfers, we weren’t gonna get anyone nearly as impactful as him.

It really does two big things:

1. Speeds up the timeline for being very good. Not saying it will or won’t, but this can be a tournament team next year-no doubt. 

2. Gives Woodson the ability to showcase his talent in player development. If TJD comes back next year with a mid range/outside shot it will give him tangible results in the college game to tout during recruiting. That’s a huge opportunity that can’t be understated.

51 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Oh I think he will but I see them being big contributors in year 3 and 4. I’m still considering next year as year 1 for them.

Agree. If it wasn't for everyone getting a free year and IU being short handed they both would have redshirted in a program that was smart. I think those are two guys that wouldn't transfer if they don't play a lot as sophomores. They buy in to the program and like you said can be huge contributors in years 3 and 4. I just think as far as the backcourt goes Parker, Lander, Franklin (if he is back), and Rob are better. You add in maybe an Xavier Johnson type transfer too. 

Just MO, but I don't like redshirting players in basketball, especially ones that could be in the top ten on a team.  Even if you have an eight man rotation, the 9 and 10 are going to get some significant minutes at some point in the season.  I think in a lot of cases you lose the year anyway.  Not many bball players stick around for five years at the same place.