Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUCrazy2

Beard to Texas.

They can have him. I was never sold on him. He had a couple of really good seasons but outside of those hasn't been great. Granted that's at TT so maybe he'll do really well at a higher profile school but it's far from a sure thing.

31 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

They can have him. I was never sold on him. He had a couple of really good seasons but outside of those hasn't been great. Granted that's at TT so maybe he'll do really well at a higher profile school but it's far from a sure thing.

Nobody is a sure thing. But he seems like a good coach. He gets his players to play hard tho. We’ll see if he has any trouble when he has a roster full of 5-stars who want to spend a year before they go to the nba. 

He’s a stud. He’s very comfortable navigating today’s recruiting and transfer environment and I have no doubt he’ll rack up 20 win seasons without breaking a sweat. 

Hiring an alum is making a comeback as the hot trend

Multiple pros, journalists et al, have all said he runs the best practice in all of college bball. Says when they travel they all stay in the same room to bounce ideas off each other

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

Best hire Texas has ever made in basketball. He will win a championship there. 

Have to say most of the basketball world thought the same when Smart arrived there.  Still a part of me that says that Smart will reach another final four before Beard does.

2 hours ago, schoosier said:

He will have to win a lot to match Barnes.

I didn’t think much of him as a coach, but he can recruit like crazy. If anything he showed how high a ceiling a place like UT has. If Beard can coach and recruit 75% as good as Barnes, they’ll challenge KU for the conference almost every year. 

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Have to say most of the basketball world thought the same when Smart arrived there.  Still a part of me that says that Smart will reach another final four before Beard does.

I remember more people calling him a gimmick coach and saying Texas would fail. 

38 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I didn’t think much of him as a coach, but he can recruit like crazy. If anything he showed how high a ceiling a place like UT has. If Beard can coach and recruit 75% as good as Barnes, they’ll challenge KU for the conference almost every year. 

UT under Barnes made the tourney every year except I think one. He coached UT from 99 to 2015, and in that long run of tourney appearances he had only 2 seasons without at least 20 wins. Won the conference I think 3 times without looking it up, good coach, excellent recruiter,  but didn’t get past the FF and his tourney record wasn’t great so he and UT got tired of each other (coaching at UT comes with strings, interfering administration and a football first school). UT blew it letting him go and hiring Shaka, but Beard’s good. Will be interesting to see how successful he can be with UT’s resources and backing.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

UT under Barnes made the tourney every year except I think one. He coached UT from 99 to 2015, and in that long run of tourney appearances he had only 2 seasons without at least 20 wins. Won the conference I think 3 times without looking it up, good coach, excellent recruiter,  but didn’t get past the FF and his tourney record wasn’t great so he and UT got tired of each other (coaching at UT comes with strings, interfering administration and a football first school). UT blew it letting him go and hiring Shaka, but Beard’s good. Will be interesting to see how successful he can be with UT’s resources and backing.

And it will be interesting to see if Beard is a great coach over a longer stretch vs a flash in the pan with just the right mix of players for a 2 year run.

After all, in the two years after TT reached the championship game, they finished 3rd and then 6th in the Big 12. 

He should get all the talent in the world at UT, but the question is whether high-level players want to play in that system, when they have wide-open offenses available at other schools. 

3 hours ago, Dalton26 said:

I remember more people calling him a gimmick coach and saying Texas would fail. 

I don't care what level you are at in D1.....you can't gimmick your way to six straight 26 and higher win seasons.  Also think it's noteworthy that Texas is firing him after a season in which he won the Big 12 tournament and was a 3 seed in the NCAA tournament.  I do wonder what would have happened to him if they had simply been able to get a defensive rebound with 2 seconds left this year in the tournament and then had went on to the sweet sixteen.....my gut says he was still going to be forced out at Texas, but that would have been a harder fire.