Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

CBB: Roy Williams Retires from UNC

On 4/3/2021 at 6:21 PM, BeerBQ said:

I’m curious to see how schools like UNC (and inevitably Duke and ‘Cuse soon) handle these searches. Unfortunately as IU fans we’ve gotten pretty experienced with them. The bottom line is that it’s not as easy as it seems. Every realistic coach has questions and concerns. 

Yep and timing has a lot to do with it too. If K retires a year from now it's different than if he has a health event in August. 

I can see Syracuse & Duke both struggling more than UNC, KU, pUKe, since all of their history is wrapped up in their current coach.  

2 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Yep and timing has a lot to do with it too. If K retires a year from now it's different than if he has a health event in August. 

I can see Syracuse & Duke both struggling more than UNC, KU, pUKe, since all of their history is wrapped up in their current coach.  

I think some of Duke's history is wrapped upped in wall-to-wall non-stop ESPN hype for the past 30 years.

I could probably recruit players to Duke if I had that kind of free advertisement...

1 hour ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

They seem hell-bent on “keeping it in the family” and my money is on Hubert Davis. I rarely do this but when Roy retired I checked a UNC site and more than one poster was saying they needed to throw a ton of money at Stevens, Few or Bennett. Reminds me of another fan base:) 

30 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

They seem hell-bent on “keeping it in the family” and my money is on Hubert Davis. I rarely do this but when Roy retired I checked a UNC site and more than one poster was saying they needed to throw a ton of money at Stevens, Few or Bennett. Reminds me of another fan base:) 

What a bunch of delusional idiots! :farting_smiley:

Wondering if the very lackluster four years of the Archie Miller tenure gave Bubba Cunningham pause about hiring Wes Miller, given that all his success is at the mid-major level, and a few levels lower than the Atlantic 10 -- even though he's an alum. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Wondering if the very lackluster four years of the Archie Miller tenure gave Bubba Cunningham pause about hiring Wes Miller, given that all his success is at the mid-major level, and a few levels lower than the Atlantic 10 -- even though he's an alum. 

It was my understanding that Roy got to choose his successor.

I am pretty sure this was his first choice. If you watch his press conference, he was pretty big on loyalty.

This is a gutsy move by UNC and shows me how much pride and self-confidence this traditional power has. Success is not guaranteed for anyone, but they believe in their apprenticeship and the value of 'family'. One good thing of promoting a family member is that the new coach doesn't need to 'pretend' that he truly understands the culture and what it means to represent the school. For a family member, coaching his alma mater is not just a job, but it also is his life. I think of this as a model practice for blueblood programs and I'm glad that IU is heading that way. 

On 4/6/2021 at 9:15 AM, akumanina said:

This is a gutsy move by UNC and shows me how much pride and self-confidence this traditional power has. Success is not guaranteed for anyone, but they believe in their apprenticeship and the value of 'family'. One good thing of promoting a family member is that the new coach doesn't need to 'pretend' that he truly understands the culture and what it means to represent the school. For a family member, coaching his alma mater is not just a job, but it also is his life. I think of this as a model practice for blueblood programs and I'm glad that IU is heading that way. 

Who knows if this will work. Like all hires, nothing is certain. UNC kept it “in the family” with Matt Doherty but it was a disaster. Hubert may or may not work....we will see.