Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

CBB: Roy Williams Retires from UNC

9 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Today? I work with both UNC and Duke administrations- that might have been the case in the 90’s but definitely not now.  If a highly touted kid marketed himself correctly through social media and went through a good development program (international or national) ——I think they’d make a lot more money as opposed to staying in college.  We make huge bank off these kids. I don’t know what’s right or wrong but we do make a ton more money through them (ratio wise of course). 

Really? So when a kid commits to UNC... It doesn't get blasted through by UNC? ESPN? Fox Sports? Throughout the season as they constantly show and bring up a kid? 

45 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Does a great player not make money off the free marketing and branding they received from playing for a North Carolina?

Certainly not fair market value. When it comes to revenue and fair compensation, the school benefits from the top players likeness far more than top players benefit from the school. It’s not even close really. Guys like Zion could have made millions upon millions of dollars during his single season in Durham. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Certainly not fair market value. When it comes to revenue and fair compensation, the school benefits from the top players likeness far more than top players benefit from the school. It’s not even close really. Guys like Zion could have made millions upon millions of dollars during his single season in Durham. 

That's part of the gig. It's like being in the greatest unpaid internship on the planet. Because you still have everything paid for and the ability to make a lot of money when you're done. 

I know we're off the tracks here concerning Ol Roy, but I think the compensation thing is straight-forward: if a player wants to get paid for basketball there is an avenue for that. Professional basketball both here and abroad on multiple levels. If he wants to play college then he is agreeing NOT to be a professional while enrolled (insert Kentucky joke here.) It's not complicated. College players don't "deserve" compensation. If you want to argue that NIL should be allowed that is a much stronger case, but that doesn't mean amateurism shouldn't be allowed to exist. 

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Really? So when a kid commits to UNC... It doesn't get blasted through by UNC? ESPN? Fox Sports? Throughout the season as they constantly show and bring up a kid? 

What’s your age demographic 40-60? Because that’s a solid argument in the 90’s or even early 2000s. It’s different now, international leagues will pay at a minimum $50-60 grand a year for a top 100 kid to play in their league.  Plus they would get endorsements from said country.  If you ever go to Japan or China you’ll see a lot of commercials from basketball player’s because they love the game as much as we do.  I would argue that in China people love basketball as much as people from Indiana.  There’s real money to be had if they want it. 

2 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

What’s your age demographic 40-60? Because that’s a solid argument in the 90’s or even early 2000s. It’s different now, international leagues will pay at a minimum $50-60 grand a year for a top 100 kid to play in their league.  Plus they would get endorsements from said country.  If you ever go to Japan or China you’ll see a lot of commercials from basketball player’s because they love the game as much as we do.  I would argue that in China people love basketball as much as people from Indiana.  There’s real money to be had if they want it. 

I'm 27. I'm just smart enough to understand that kids are getting a few hundred thousand dollars worth of goods for themselves and their atheltic peers in other sports. And that's only really a thing for very few atheltes at very few schools. Kids at Texas Southern aren't making Texas Southern millions and millions of dollars. But a guy like Zion was building his brand beforehand, and then it exploded even more in college by having the word "Duke" across his chest. The problem that everyone of these kids has, is entitlement. They believe they are university and who makes the university popular. WRONG. Zion left and guess what? Duke survived and fans kept watching. Big time atheltes leave colleges and everyone keeps watching college without them there. Not a single athelte is ever bigger than the university and when these kids realize the insanely rare opportunity they are receiving, they'll be better for it. They want to get paid by the school? Then forfeit your scholarship and allow for it to go elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm 27. I'm just smart enough to understand that kids are getting a few hundred thousand dollars worth of goods for themselves and their atheltic peers in other sports. And that's only really a thing for very few atheltes at very few schools. Kids at Texas Southern aren't making Texas Southern millions and millions of dollars. But a guy like Zion was building his brand beforehand, and then it exploded even more in college by having the word "Duke" across his chest. The problem that everyone of these kids has, is entitlement. They believe they are university and who makes the university popular. WRONG. Zion left and guess what? Duke survived and fans kept watching. Big time atheltes leave colleges and everyone keeps watching college without them there. Not a single athelte is ever bigger than the university and when these kids realize the insanely rare opportunity they are receiving, they'll be better for it. They want to get paid by the school? Then forfeit your scholarship and allow for it to go elsewhere. 

Yeah, he could’ve made a lot more. I agree no single athlete is bigger than the university but they can make more money for themselves if they choose to leave the country.  I guess you have to travel the world to understand. Basketball is big in Asia and Europe so much so that they don’t need the universities help for branding. 

2 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

If you ever go to Japan or China you’ll see a lot of commercials from basketball player’s because they love the game as much as we do.

Unless this has changed recently I never saw basketball players doing commercials in Japan.  Baseball players, absolutely, it's huge over there.  They enjoy basketball but it's more a regional thing than a national thing and nowhere on the level of the US.  I would agree with China to an extent but with China it's more about the total number rather than a percentage.  I would argue the percentage of people following basketball closely in the US is far greater than in China.  That's not to downplay the amount of money a good player could make in China.

19 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Yeah, he could’ve made a lot more. I agree no single athlete is bigger than the university but they can make more money for themselves if they choose to leave the country.  I guess you have to travel the world to understand. Basketball is big in Asia and Europe so much so that they don’t need the universities help for branding. 

And all of these kids have that option... But why don't they? Because none of those options give the amount of FREE marketing and branding that college basketball gives. 

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And all of these kids have that option... But why don't they? Because none of those options give the amount of FREE marketing and branding that college basketball gives. 

Lol - ok buddy 

I’m curious to see how schools like UNC (and inevitably Duke and ‘Cuse soon) handle these searches. Unfortunately as IU fans we’ve gotten pretty experienced with them. The bottom line is that it’s not as easy as it seems. Every realistic coach has questions and concerns.