Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

CBB: Roy Williams Retires from UNC

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Seriously though what has Oats and Musselman really done to warrant all of these jobs.  Also I think to many people don't realize the importance of culture and knowing the University they will be coaching at.

I’m with you on Muss, but Oats is a rising star in the game. I think Alabama will be his last college job. Not because he’ll stay there 30 years, but because his analytics approach will lure some NBA GM. I’m thinking his future is with the Houston Rockets.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Seriously though what has Oats and Musselman really done to warrant all of these jobs.  Also I think to many people don't realize the importance of culture and knowing the University they will be coaching at.

Oats has won three conference regular season championships, four conference tournament championships, and four NCAA tournament games at the powerhouses of Buffalo and Alabama in six years. Musselman has only had one season of double-digit losses at each school. EM also won two conference regular season championships, three conference tournament championships, and five NCAA tournament games in six years. The coach is the culture.

image.gif.32f9b2188f2f397d3501e86827c4d2fd.gifZachetology:

Oats has won three conference regular season championships, four conference tournament championships, and four NCAA tournament games at the powerhouses of Buffalo and Alabama in six years. Musselman has only had one season of double-digit losses at each school. EM also won two conference regular season championships, three conference tournament championships, and five NCAA tournament games in six years. The coach is the culture.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm with you, they were my two favorites for IU.

Doubt either gets a sniff from UNC though, they think their....poop don't stink and have to have one of their "own."

I'm rooting for failure and protracted sadness! 

Just read a story that the Kessler transfer was the nail in the coffin for Roy. He absolutely hates the transfer situation. Story below.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Roy-Williams-retirement-Walker-Kessler-transfer-North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-basketball--163471191/?fbclid=IwAR3MynAMhuW7nTz1msz9X_oUh4gUCCjADnU_Za1LmP4m-UkJFchQL8H-6zI

2 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Just read a story that the Kessler transfer was the nail in the coffin for Roy. He absolutely hates the transfer situation. Story below.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Roy-Williams-retirement-Walker-Kessler-transfer-North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-basketball--163471191/?fbclid=IwAR3MynAMhuW7nTz1msz9X_oUh4gUCCjADnU_Za1LmP4m-UkJFchQL8H-6zI

Gotta say I agree with Roy about transfers. 

I’m old school too, and I fully agree with Roy. Edited my diatribe. Lol

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

19 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Gotta say I agree with Roy about transfers. 

Me too, to an extent. He’s being a bit hypocritical by saying he didn’t leave North Carolina when things got tough but he did leave Kansas immediately after a national runner up and didn’t have to miss a year. I think it’s ridiculous that these coaches ignore the blatant hypocrisy within the system. Things change. Adapt or die (figuratively). 

Me too, to an extent. He’s being a bit hypocritical by saying he didn’t leave North Carolina when things got tough but he did leave Kansas immediately after a national runner up and didn’t have to miss a year. I think it’s ridiculous that these coaches ignore the blatant hypocrisy within the system. Things change. Adapt or die (figuratively). 
Yea roy would have been all over this years ago. Truth is he was old and tired probably just knew it was time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

That's true to a point, there is some hypocrisy, but doesn't entirely hold up, imo. Players aren't coaches, so the rules are different. 

Lots of examples: Teachers get a book with the answers, students don't, how is that fair? My kids have a bedtime and I don't- unfair? IU players get lots of free clothes and stuff, but I have to pay for it, how is that fair? You get my point. 

We can argue about what is reasonable and where the line should be, but treating college players and their coaches differently shouldn't be unexpected. 

8 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

That's true to a point, there is some hypocrisy, but doesn't entirely hold up, imo. Players aren't coaches, so the rules are different. 

Lots of examples: Teachers get a book with the answers, students don't, how is that fair? My kids have a bedtime and I don't- unfair? IU players get lots of free clothes and stuff, but I have to pay for it, how is that fair? You get my point. 

We can argue about what is reasonable and where the line should be, but treating college players and their coaches differently shouldn't be unexpected. 

Ehh I disagree with this. For one, they are legal adults they should be awarded the same rights as their student peers. If other students want to transfer they can, also they’re allowed to do anything they can to earn money outside of school. For me, I took money from the IU trustees playing them in poker.  

Your kids are in a age frame we’re development is necessary and they need those tools to better themselves so they can reach their grossing and mental peaks.  With the basketball players one could easily argue that they are in their peak grossing period of their life. (Ages 18-30). Tools like not allowing kids to transfer are used to make an institution and not the individual have more control over money. 

7 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Ehh I disagree with this. For one, they are legal adults they should be awarded the same rights as their student peers. If other students want to transfer they can, also they’re allowed to do anything they can to earn money outside of school. For me, I took money from the IU trustees playing them in poker.  

Your kids are in a age frame we’re development is necessary and they need those tools to better themselves so they can reach their grossing and mental peaks.  With the basketball players one could easily argue that they are in their peak grossing period of their life. (Ages 18-30). Tools like not allowing kids to transfer are used to make an institution and not the individual have more control over money. 

Leaving a scholarship is like leaving a contract. There are consequences. This is just giving in to a bunch of babies who don't like to do m deal with consequences. 

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Leaving a scholarship is like leaving a contract. There are consequences. This is just giving in to a bunch of babies who don't like to do m deal with consequences. 

Eeeeh parameters change.  Should a university capitalize on someone’s likeness way after they leave college? Universities counter that they give a athlete exposure, but now social media and advanced scouting have changed so that mode of arguing is archaic.  Rules change thats how society works. Remember when coaches used to forbid you from transferring to certain schools? Some coaches were acting on bad faith, some were not. In life you have good people and bad. I don’t talk in generalities. Generalities confine us to a certain belief and make us ingrained in believing and defending that belief to the bitter end. 

3 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

Some of these transfer takes here are hot garbage. 

Some players have good reasons to transfer, some have bad reasons. But they are adults and if they want to transfer, they should have that right. 

Lol. They already have the ability to transfer. No one is forcing a player to stay at a school they don’t want to be at. But if you want to back out of the commitment you made then you’re going to have to sit out a year before you can play again. No one has the ‘right’ to play college basketball. And if you want to play immediately then you can go to a D2 school and make that happen. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lol. They already have the ability to transfer. No one is forcing a player to stay at a school they don’t want to be at. But if you want to back out of the commitment you made then you’re going to have to sit out a year before you can play again. No one has the ‘right’ to play college basketball. And if you want to play immediately then you can go to a D2 school and make that happen. 

My issue is the 'sit out a year' rule only has applied to basketball, football, and I think hockey. Why do swimmers, tennis players, etc. get to transfer and continue to play immediately?

15 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

My issue is the 'sit out a year' rule only has applied to basketball, football, and I think hockey. Why do swimmers, tennis players, etc. get to transfer and continue to play immediately?

I don’t pay attention to those sports honestly so I don’t know, but maybe it has to do with scholarships? I know football and basketball players all get full scholarships but other sports have to divide scholarships amongst their players. I’m just spitballing, though. 

1 hour ago, Banksyrules said:

Eeeeh parameters change.  Should a university capitalize on someone’s likeness way after they leave college? Universities counter that they give a athlete exposure, but now social media and advanced scouting have changed so that mode of arguing is archaic.  Rules change thats how society works. Remember when coaches used to forbid you from transferring to certain schools? Some coaches were acting on bad faith, some were not. In life you have good people and bad. I don’t talk in generalities. Generalities confine us to a certain belief and make us ingrained in believing and defending that belief to the bitter end. 

Does a great player not make money off the free marketing and branding they received from playing for a North Carolina?

46 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Does a great player not make money off the free marketing and branding they received from playing for a North Carolina?

Today? I work with both UNC and Duke administrations- that might have been the case in the 90’s but definitely not now.  If a highly touted kid marketed himself correctly through social media and went through a good development program (international or national) ——I think they’d make a lot more money as opposed to staying in college.  We make huge bank off these kids. I don’t know what’s right or wrong but we do make a ton more money through them (ratio wise of course).