Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

CBB: Roy Williams Retires from UNC

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I'm just like everyone else here.  Talked to a diehard Fan today.  He says what you all say.  Miller, Davis, Stackhouse.  He didn't mention Stevens.  

If Stevens did take the UNC job, to IU fans he'd go from Brad ******* Stevens to ******* Brad Stevens 

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If Stevens did take the UNC job, to IU fans he'd go from Brad ******* Stevens to ******* Brad Stevens 

Too late already has for this IU fan! He did what he thought was best for him and his family and I think he's a **** because of it.

I would be even more shocked for Stevens to take the UNC job then IU. At IU he'd be coming home, have a long leash and be the savior. UNC he'd be expected to win day 1 and better be high level by year 3. Can't burn talent year after year like Dean Smith did. Sheesh, that guy did less with more than anyone. Total dork. 

22 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Too late already has for this IU fan! He did what he thought was best for him and his family and I think he's a **** because of it.

I would be even more shocked for Stevens to take the UNC job then IU. At IU he'd be coming home, have a long leash and be the savior. UNC he'd be expected to win day 1 and better be high level by year 3. Can't burn talent year after year like Dean Smith did. Sheesh, that guy did less with more than anyone. Total dork. 

Lol calling him names because he chose a career path that didn’t benefit your fan interests. Cmon.

Yeah it’s disappointing he didn’t come, but that’s not a reflection of his character  

5 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Anyone think Hubert Davis will be successful? If he is hired

I have no idea but know the odds of the first coach to follow a “legend” doing well aren’t great.

its always hard to tell if a coach will work out. Many thought Archie was a home run hire while many laughed at UCLA when they had to dip to their 89th choice, Cronin. Who knows?

25 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Maybe, but he has no HC experience at any level. They should go with Stackhouse. 

If they want a former UNC guy who has the most experience it would be Wes Miller

I really like Hubert as a player and if he gets the job I wish him well. It would also show that UNC is not in bad shape just because they hire someone with no HC experience. It is a completely reasonable approach if you have a guy groomed in your system and not unreasonable if they have tutored in another legendary program. 

I don't understand how schools can put so much emphasis on a coach's alma mater over his performance. UNC should be making those calls to Drew/Oats/Musselman before Wes Miller, who hasn't won a tournament game in 10 years. Archie was a stronger candidate when IU hired him than Wes is now. I'd like to see if a blue blood school can run a coaching search correctly.

4 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Not disagreeing but I consider Bob Knight to Pat Knight the ultimate poster boy. Retire in the middle of the season and push your son into the job. That was a disaster.

Absolutely. Bo did the same for Gard, who isn’t nearly the same coach but has been a nice recruiting success. Eddie Sutton did it for Sean Sutton. 

Lots of guys do it if they can. Credit to ol’ Roy for not doing it to UNC. 

8 minutes ago, Zachetology said:

I don't understand how schools can put so much emphasis on a coach's alma mater over his performance. UNC should be making those calls to Drew/Oats/Musselman before Wes Miller, who hasn't won a tournament game in 10 years. Archie was a stronger candidate when IU hired him than Wes is now. I'd like to see if a blue blood school can run a coaching search correctly.

When I saw Miller's name floated earlier this month, I read up on him and came away incredibly impressed. There are a few things that stuck with me that I think are important to consider when looking at Miller as a candidate:

1. Wes Miller took over the UNCG program when he was 27 years old. Regardless of program quality, this is an impressive accomplishment. 

2. UNCG has never won a single tourney game in their program's existence. They've been to the tourney 4 times total. 

3. Fran McCaffrey coached there for 6 seasons, during which he was able to post one 20-win season. Miller has posted 5 straight with a 74% win percentage. 

His age and trajectory are really attractive IMO. There are smarter people than I who can discuss how good he is at in-game coaching but by all accounts he is a rock star. 

2 hours ago, Zachetology said:

Seriously though what has Oats and Musselman really done to warrant all of these jobs.  Also I think to many people don't realize the importance of culture and knowing the University they will be coaching at.