Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

CBB: Roy Williams Retires from UNC

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

Actually Bill Guthridge won 74% of his games and was a long time UNC assistant. Doherty struggled but was a UNC guy and then they hired Roy who was a UNC guy. It'll be a UNC guy.

Guthridge went to 2 final fours

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Guthridge went to 2 final fours

Your right and a week or so ago  I mistakenly thought he had a poor three year run. In his 3 years he went to the Final Four twice and was once the national coach of the year.

I remember when he got the job and thought he was awfully old to get the UNC job as he was  60 and retired at 63.  My current thinking due to two factors, Woody and my own “advanced” age, has since changed..... LOL....

46 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

As “settled in” and secure as Roy was in the position you would think this wasn’t a rash decision and that he and the AD already have the succession plan in play. I’m thinking the new head  coach announcement will be real soon.

I agree.  I don't think there is really going to be a coaching search.  Maybe they will talk to the guys they already identified, but I suspect that decision has already been made and they will announce as soon as tomorrow to let Roy have "his day" today.

24 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Your right and a week or so ago  I mistakenly thought he had a poor three year run. In his 3 years he went to the Final Four twice and was once the national coach of the year.

I remember when he got the job and thought he was awfully old to get the UNC job as he was  60 and retired at 63.  My current thinking due to two factors, Woody and my own “advanced” age, has since changed..... LOL....

Guthridge was a failure of hire that Smith forced. Smith left him a LOADED roster which he took to the final 4. They got worse every year and he made the FF as an 8 seed when freshman Forte got hot. 

Then guys started rumbling about going to the pros (or football in peppers case) and they realized his recruiting was just not there and he decided to retire (or was forced to). When everyone bolted the next year Doherty was left with nothing. 

Guthridge is the poster boy for hall of fame coach forcing his hand picked assistant into the job. He just retired before his failure completely sunk the program. 

54 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Guthridge was a failure of hire that Smith forced. Smith left him a LOADED roster which he took to the final 4. They got worse every year and he made the FF as an 8 seed when freshman Forte got hot. 

Then guys started rumbling about going to the pros (or football in peppers case) and they realized his recruiting was just not there and he decided to retire (or was forced to). When everyone bolted the next year Doherty was left with nothing. 

Guthridge is the poster boy for hall of fame coach forcing his hand picked assistant into the job. He just retired before his failure completely sunk the program. 

Not disagreeing but I consider Bob Knight to Pat Knight the ultimate poster boy. Retire in the middle of the season and push your son into the job. That was a disaster.

2 hours ago, coonhounds said:

My money is on stevens. In this alternate iu universe I was transported to 20 years ago that is the only person it could logically be.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm with you on all levels of this.