Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

CBB: Roy Williams Retires from UNC

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Isn't Hubert Davis considered the "coach in waiting" there? 

He looks like a very strong candidate. This guy is everything Carolina, born and raised, a former player, a former first round pick, and an assistant for 9 years under Williams. Big question is if UNC is ready for an African-American head coach. 

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

University of No Classes

Whoever they hire I hope they fail miserably, cheating pieces of $h!t. That stain will never come out. Worse than Hooker U, imo. At least that was turning a blind eye while the basketball staff went off the rails, the academic fraud was the school actually participating in athletic fraud. Repulsive. 

Those last 2 banners don't look stained to me 

21 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

This will be an interesting search. They can honestly get just about anyone they want. They have much more pull than the Indiana job. 

It will be interesting as it will be a barometer as to how easy or difficult it is to get  an already successful “big-name” coach to switch jobs. 

In any case a new hire is always a crapshoot. UCLA fans were disappointed in landing their 81st or so choice, and getting rejected by coach after coach was embarrassing,  but in no time here they are in the Final Four.

1 hour ago, Trish said:

I have Wes Miller going to UNC. But will UNC settle for a mid-major guy or will they shoot for the stars.

Will be fun to see a "blue-blood" hire a new coach. Will maybe make us realize some things about Indiana. 

If they don’t hire Wes Miller, they won’t do better than him. Best young coach in the country. 

14 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yes. Without a doubt. But it also depends on who they go after. And it'll probably a UNC guy. 

Yeah, I just see some of the arguments we saw being in play here too.  "Why would a coach who is comfortable and winning uproot to go to UNC?"  I checked one of their boards and their were a few "Call Stevens" who were mostly shot down.  There were a bunch of "It is probably Wes Miller" and then it got to names we threw around:  "Call Few, Call Oats, etc."  I think they face rmthe same uphill battle we did with those guys.

I think they get Miller.  And nothing against him, I am rooting for some of these other schools like Duke and UNC to share in the struggles we have had since Knight left.  I want the media to twist themselves into a pretzel about how their fanbases are right to have expectations.

The hypocrisy would be "muwhah" (kisses fingers)

13 minutes ago, akumanina said:

He looks like a very strong candidate. This guy is everything Carolina, born and raised, a former player, a former first round pick, and an assistant for 9 years under Williams. Big question is if UNC is ready for an African-American head coach. 

Yes, UNC is every bit as ready as IU, especially being in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill metro area.

6 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Mike Roberts was associate head coach, and spent 8 years there, at UNCG. Wonder if he gets offered the head coaching job if UNC picks up Wes Miller 

Good point. This is a real possibility. 

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Mike Roberts was associate head coach, and spent 8 years there, at UNCG. Wonder if he gets offered the head coaching job if UNC picks up Wes Miller 

Certainly makes some sense. I was DM’ing with a friend after Manning was fired at Wake and asked why they wouldn’t just hire Miller and call it a day. His response was that everyone just assumes he’s the next guy at UNC. Guess we’ll see.

Good luck coach.  I became a fan of his explicitly because of that Raef Lafrentz and Jacque Vaughn team in the 90s at Kansas.  UNC poaching him from Kansas was phenomenal on their part at the time.  Then Kansas poaching Self coming off a title game was equally phenomenal.  Enjoy retirement sir.

3 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Let’s see if UNC can replace a legend without going into decades of obscurity. 

They were already on their way into the wilderness during the Matt Doherty era, but they had an alum in Roy that they could lure back with a mixture of loyalty and big bucks. It was just our bad luck that none of the Knight-era players or assistants went on to be successful college coaches.

5 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Let’s see if UNC can replace a legend without going into decades of obscurity. 

I too am curious how they handle this one.  After Smith they stuck in family for three hires.  Third time was the charm.  I don’t know peoples personal beliefs on Dean Smith, but at the time most certainly felt he was on that RMK level.  They were good again within 10 years.  Wish we had that ambition. 

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I too am curious how they handle this one.  After Smith they stuck in family for three hires.  Third time was the charm.  I don’t know peoples personal beliefs on Dean Smith, but at the time most certainly felt he was on that RMK level.  They were good again within 10 years.  Wish we had that ambition. 

They had a hall of fame caliber replacement already in the college ranks last time. We never did. Having said that, I don’t see Carolina falling to our lows regardless of who they hire.

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

They were already on their way into the wilderness during the Matt Doherty era, but they had an alum in Roy that they could lure back with a mixture of loyalty and big bucks. It was just our bad luck that none of the Knight-era players or assistants went on to be successful college coaches.

RMK had one of the more storied coaching trees. In fact his top performer did so well he built an even better kingdom and did not need to come back to IU. I know people love to hate on DD but he was in on his way until that West Virginia fiasco and he never recovered from that. After he left IU he did well again developing Beard. 

Our Roy and our Self was Coach K and unfortunately “our guy” was too successful to come back.