Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Worst Losses of the Archie Era

If people want to go with the Knight game, I can’t really argue. That was painful to watch. But, man, to step on your home floor, in your 1st game, with the 2 best players, against the mid-major that no one respects from the town everyone hates, and give up a million 3’s and get beaten the hell down? That right there was 1 of the all-time harbingers. 

The RMK return game was definitely hard to witness, but at that point we had seen enough bad performances that I think it was too typical to be the worst loss of the era.  For me it was the 55-70 loss to Purdue at Mackey Arena during the 2018-2019 season. 

That game was early enough in the 12 out of 13 losing skid from that season that I still felt pretty good about the team as we entered the game at 12-5 (3-3).  However aside from a couple spurts in the first half that game had to be an absolute Purdue fan's fantasy.  I still have footage etched in my brain of Romeo getting completed bottled up (and probably fouled) by Nojel Eastern, air-balling a corner three, being swatted at the rim at least twice, and getting overrated chants as he stood at the free throw line and missed all four free throws he shot in the game.  Final stat line for Romeo was 4 pts, 3 turnovers, 2 fouls, 0-4 FT, 0-3 3PT,  and 2-10 FG.  Easily his worst game that whole season.  The team shot 4-20 from 3 and 7-18 FT, and if IU would have just shot their averages from the foul line and from three, which were bad to begin with, it would have been a 4 point loss instead of 15.

Towards the end of the game as it got more out of hand, I remember listing to the "IU Sucks" chants that seemed as loud as ever on that cold and nasty Saturday afternoon and thinking "I'm all in.  I'm getting behind this program and making myself a part of this until we get their a**es back."  We still haven't, but within a couple months of that game I discovered this board, Assembly Call, Crimson Cast, and other great Hoosier resources and am as dedicated to IU basketball as ever until we do.

***This game took place on 1/19/2019 and was also the last day that IU basketball was ranked.

Edited by craigyv88

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Ha, funny thing... I put Pluto TV on my Roku and watched that very Happy Days episode just the other day. The Fonz jumping sharks, epic :)

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Live action video of Archie Miller at the RMK - Purdue game:

Shark Jump GIF - Shark Jump Fonzie GIFs

6 hours ago, Demo said:

If people want to go with the Knight game, I can’t really argue. That was painful to watch. But, man, to step on your home floor, in your 1st game, with the 2 best players, against the mid-major that no one respects from the town everyone hates, and give up a million 3’s and get beaten the hell down? That right there was 1 of the all-time harbingers. 

I wouldn't even call IPFW a mid-major... they are a low major.

The Maryland one in January of 2020 I’ll never forget. Complete choke job down the stretch and the season spiraled out of control after that. 

Was also the same day as the Kobe news, RIP and the game was ending as the news broke nationally. 

I remember all of the aforementioned games, and not fondly. Jalen Smith (Maryland) just hit another wide open three. You get a 50% bonus for that shot. Never understood why in CAM’s tenure, other teams were given so many open three point shots.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Ha.   It’s fun to hate on or tease IPFW or PFW, but Fort Wayne is a good city.  No hate from me. 
I just wondering where the hate came from. I have never heard that plus more iu fans in the fort than almost anywhere else it seems to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IPFW and Indiana State were bad teams. Even relative to their own conferences. And they absolutely destroyed us and showed us a massive red flag for Archie. Everyone gets to shoot open 3s. 
To me it wasn't a massive red flag because I felt he would learn from it and improve but in the end he didn't change or learn anything

55 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

To me it wasn't a massive red flag because I felt he would learn from it and improve but in the end he didn't change or learn anything

He never changed. We were supposed to have some "new and improved" offense this past season.. we still sucked and it never changed. 

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

I just wondering where the hate came from. I have never heard that plus more iu fans in the fort than almost anywhere else it seems to me.

IU and Purdue grads like to tease the interstate college.  Admittedly, PFW has really improved its school and image over the years from how it was in the 90’s.

Duke - I was at the game, a good # of Hoosier fans were there. My first time at Cameron. Right out of the gate we were outclassed and outcoached. It was never a question. Basically had to watch 40 minutes of basketball being down 20+ points. Our hero Romeo looked lost out there. At least I got to see Zion in person I guess. I was so pissed, I decided to drive home that night instead of stay in Raleigh as planned. Long drive home with little hope.

38 minutes ago, ISP said:

Duke - I was at the game, a good # of Hoosier fans were there. My first time at Cameron. Right out of the gate we were outclassed and outcoached. It was never a question. Basically had to watch 40 minutes of basketball being down 20+ points. Our hero Romeo looked lost out there. At least I got to see Zion in person I guess. I was so pissed, I decided to drive home that night instead of stay in Raleigh as planned. Long drive home with little hope.

I happened to be at that game. IU literally looked scared during warmups while they were stretching and the crazies were screaming at, and mocking, our guys well before tip-off. Totally outmatched.

I was also at the prior game at Duke (with Blackmon etc) and at least we were in that one for half of the first half..LOL. Wasn’t pretty but not as bad as the “Romeo” game.

The opposite of this is trying to decide on what his best win was. I was thinking about that the day he was fired and couldn’t come up with a signature win. 

Has to be the Michigan State game to stop the losing streak.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners