Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Worst Losses of the Archie Era

Hands down RMK's homecoming game against none other than Purdue.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought Archie Miller, coaching staff, and players were disgrace to IU basketball. I wouldn't have cared if they would've lost the next 15 straight games, but they shouldn't have lost that Purdue game. That was how much I was ticked off. Even to this day, every time I think about that game, I still get pissed off. 

46 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Was it really that long ago? Damn. I could have swore this was Archie’s first year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Miller's first year they lost by 20+. At Assembly Hall.

Some ones maybe less mentioned:

- first round of Big Ten tourney to OSU on the brink of the bubble

- Arkansas at home after an otherwise successful non-con pissed me off

- asswhooping from Michigan last year sucked

- blowout from Duke during the Romeo/Juwan season, Romeo played uglyyyy

- Florida State choke this year was a blow and I’m pretty sure we all knew it had tourney implications

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Gotta go with the RMK game. I’ll admit I didn’t watch it.  My wife and I had tickets to Les Mis down at IU amazingly enough.  

The worst part wasn’t that we lost it was that at intermission in the restroom line nobody was surprised we were losing.  And afterwards nobody was outraged we lost.  It was just to be expected.  

RMK game = Les Miserables.

yes

Honestly, there's too many to count. Here's some that come to mind:

2017-18: ISU & FW. These were the harbingers of what was to come 

2018-19: Arkansas (which happened right after Marquette when we all thought IU was back), any one of the big B1G losing streak

2019-20: early B1G loss to Wiscy. IU was 8-0 and got dog walked. RMK game. Maryland - they scored last 7 points to win by 1.

2020-21: Texas, FSU, Northwestern, and all the others

I think the RMK game was my "I'm out" moment, but more recently, the first MSU game this year was when I was most disgusted (at least recently). All IU needed to do was when that game and they were squarely on the right side of the bubble. IU jumped out to a big lead and once shots didn't go down, they just quit. I remember sitting there saying to myself, "this is nice to finally watch IU play well". At some point in the 2nd half, I had this exchange with my 8 year old daughter:

Me: Why do I even bother watching?

Daughter: Why do you keep watching then?

Me: You know what, you're right. 

I got up, found something else to do, and didn't watch another game until the Rutgers B1G Tourney game because I knew it was the last of the season. That was a fitting game for Archie to go out. Everything that went wrong the last 4 years boiled down into the last 10 minutes of the season. 

Edited by FWHoosier84

12 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Geez guys—we’ve been seeing so much optimism surrounding the initial Woodson hire that I thought I’d start a thread to balance it out.

Name your personal worst game of the Archie era. I know-I know. There are many choices.

I’ll start:

Bob Knight comes home, Purdue crushes IU. Archie doesn’t even bring the team court side for the halftime ceremony. Not the worst they ever played under Archie, but the most completely offensive.

That Purdue loss was 1, 2, and 3 on the worst loss list for me.  So much emotion and enthusiasm there that day and "thud".  I only know a little about Woodson but I do know he would've had that team scratching and clawing.

Then ISU and IPFW.

The Maryland one in January of 2020 I’ll never forget. Complete choke job down the stretch and the season spiraled out of control after that. 

Was also the same day as the Kobe news, RIP and the game was ending as the news broke nationally. 

Add in Stick Smith’s mid court celebration and that basketball afternoon sucked.

This is incredible really and may help explain why Crean stayed longer. Crean’s was clearly Syracuse but Miller has so many to choose from. In addition to thos games he had ac13 game losing streak in year 2(?) and a 6 game streak to end the season in year 4.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Echoing the Knight game.

I was in Nick’s and everyone was going apesh-t at halftime, only to quietly shuffle out when it was over. A kid taking a pee loudly exclaimed “well I’m gonna go home and kill myself I guess.”

That’s the day I knew Archie didn’t give two sh-ts about IU and I didn’t give two about him, either.

7 hours ago, theriverpilot said:

That Purdue loss was 1, 2, and 3 on the worst loss list for me.  So much emotion and enthusiasm there that day and "thud".  I only know a little about Woodson but I do know he would've had that team scratching and clawing.

Then ISU and IPFW.

Live action video of Archie Miller at the RMK - Purdue game:

Shark Jump GIF - Shark Jump Fonzie GIFs

10 minutes ago, T White said:

Trying to answer that question is like being a mosquito at a nudist colony......there are so many choices you don't know where to start.

The opposite of this is trying to decide on what his best win was. I was thinking about that the day he was fired and couldn’t come up with a signature win.