Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Worst Losses of the Archie Era

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Geez guys—we’ve been seeing so much optimism surrounding the initial Woodson hire that I thought I’d start a thread to balance it out.

Name your personal worst game of the Archie era. I know-I know. There are many choices.

I’ll start:

Bob Knight comes home, Purdue crushes IU. Archie doesn’t even bring the team court side for the halftime ceremony. Not the worst they ever played under Archie, but the most completely offensive.

That's the game he lost me completely. I thought the first lost to Indiana State was a fluke. I had a pretty good idea it wasn't going to work when we also got destroyed by Ft. Wayne the same year 

The Purdue game when Coach Knight came back was a really bad loss. How do you come out that flat in that kind of environment? 

I still vote ISU, though. So excited for the Archie era and then we got straight up destroyed. ISU was bombing threes and we looked totally outclassed.

Geez guys—we’ve been seeing so much optimism surrounding the initial Woodson hire that I thought I’d start a thread to balance it out.
Name your personal worst game of the Archie era. I know-I know. There are many choices.
I’ll start:
Bob Knight comes home, Purdue crushes IU. Archie doesn’t even bring the team court side for the halftime ceremony. Not the worst they ever played under Archie, but the most completely offensive.

You stole my game. Worst part of that bob knight return game every single person in assembly hall had energy that day including the purdue players only ones that didn't were our guys lol. I have to now go with the home loss to purdue this season. Everyone knew it was crucial to come out and play hard and win the game but we really never were truly competitive. That game really should have ended Archie's tenure but to Archie's credit and our guys we came back and beat Iowa after that salvaging a chance to do something

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’ll start:

Easy. The first game against Arkansas in Fayetteville. I was there, surrounded by UA friends. A Hoosier in Hogville. I knew better than to talk too much trash, but the shine was still fresh on the Romeo-Juwan tandem and I fully expected to blow their doors off. Most of the game, it was obvious we were the better team. Despite this, due to turnovers (18 if I recall correctly) and a complete inability to guard Gafford inside (he torched us for 30 something), and some poor free throw shooting (they were bad too as I recall) we lose by 1. It really marked the beginning of the underachievement under Archie. I look back at that roster and think how in all that is good did he not manage to coach them into the heckin' tournament. If we were Kentucky or Duke or UNC, he probably would not have survived 18-19 without blasting through the NIT, even then, probably canned.

The Knight return home loss to Purdon't is surely bad but shouldn't be overshadowed by the loss the year prior; probably the fugliest game I can remember and thats saying something in the Archie era and watching B1G slog ball in general.

So I was stepping into this thread wondering how I’d justify it in the mod thread. Noooope! Stu started it!! Awesome. 

Archie’s time here was bad. Real bad. Just 4 straight years of lowlights. Truly the most fun we had was watching Romeo at New Albany and then enjoying his commitment. Too bad Archie has no idea how to run an offense. The thing is, there were times when we’d be winning a little bit, but everyone with eyes could tell this offense just straight up didn’t work. 

Getting worked by IPFW and ISU. We made Jon Kuchar look like Lebron. The no show game against Duke. The complete fold any time a game mattered, be it RMK in the house or OSU for a tourney bid. Then this year the guys straight gave up. At some point as a fan it didn’t seem fair to go through 5 years of this. 

But yeah, the cake goes to the RMK game. Haarms celebrating in front of our packed SSAH. Archie with another somber postgame interview. It was bad. Real bad. 

Gotta go with the RMK game. I’ll admit I didn’t watch it.  My wife and I had tickets to Les Mis down at IU amazingly enough.  

The worst part wasn’t that we lost it was that at intermission in the restroom line nobody was surprised we were losing.  And afterwards nobody was outraged we lost.  It was just to be expected.  

Don’t even know what year it was, but we got tickets to a Michigan game at home. Got the wife excited for the game, made a date night out of it and I think at one point we were down 30? Good times.