Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Next Year’s Roster

18 minutes ago, Mike Schumann said:

So you think with Race, Geronimo, Kopp and Hunter on the roster, there are going to be meaningful segments where none of them are on the floor and IU is going to opt for four guys 6-5 and under? You could be right, but I am not seeing it.

Maybe for an offensive possession here and there. 

Would be a tough way to have sustained success defensively.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Maybe for an offensive possession here and there. 

Would be a tough way to have sustained success defensively.

Yeah I don't see that happening for long stretches unless there is a bunch of injuries. 

41 minutes ago, Mike Schumann said:

So you think with Race, Geronimo, Kopp and Hunter on the roster, there are going to be meaningful segments where none of them are on the floor and IU is going to opt for four guys 6-5 and under? You could be right, but I am not seeing it.

Yes, it is kind of odd to think with that kind of height in players that can fit the needs of the spot to varying degrees, Woody would use lineups that don't take advantage of it for significant amounts of time. People are too hyper focused on 3 point shooting percentage to the exclusion of everything else. Defense and rebounding are just as important, possibly even more so in this position considering IU can have at least two and most likely 3 other very good shooters on the floor at the same time. IF, Race develops a respectable 3 point shot, then he'll likely see a good amount of time at the 4 since, unlike the other options, he is a proven rebounder and defender. He doesn't have to be a great 3 point shooter, merely good enough to keep opposing defenses honest. Geronimo may end up being the best option of the bunch and eventually end up taking on more of the minutes but he has plenty to work on as well. Ultimately, it will come down to which of the players improves their deficiencies the most and fits in with the other players on the court the best. 

2 hours ago, Mike Schumann said:

I wouldn’t plan on seeing much of Galloway or Leal. Won’t need to go that deep on the bench very often.

23 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

It's rare that a guy hears this, but it appears that SHE married up.

Congrats on the baby girl!

How would that work -- a woman who is a Kentucky fan marrying a guy who is an IU fan?  Wouldn't that technically mean he's her brother but she's not his sister?

Haven't been as active on here the last few days. Wife and I welcomed our baby girl into this world this morning! I am super pumped about the addition of Tamar and Miller. I think both have a massive impact on the team next year. Tamar is a steal. I think he can be this teams best player in a few seasons. Miller is the kind of player IU has needed lately. I'll see how the dominoes fall in the B1G but I really do think IU has a chance next year to be very good. I think for now the IU news is going to slow down. I have a big recruiting battle of my own-my wife is a UK fan. Going to have to convince by daughter to root for IU!!! 
Congratulations

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If the five new players scrimmaged the returning players that would be a good game to watch. Who would you pick to win? I am going with the newbies. I would pay to see it give the new players a couple walk ons for subs.

Edited by Crazy about IU

Crazy about IU said:  

If the five new players scrimmaged the returning players that would be a good game to watch. Who would you pick to win? I am going with the newbies. I would pay to see it give the new players a couple walk ons for subs.

________

I don't think the new players would win. The returning players have an All American (maybe the Big Ten player of the year next season) plus possibly the team's best 3-point shooter in Parker Stewart. Who is going to guard TJD? The newbies have Logan Duncomb and nobody else. Jackson Davis and Race Thompson would score easily almost every possession.

23 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Crazy about IU said:  

________

I don't think the new players would win. The returning players have an All American (maybe the Big Ten player of the year next season) plus possibly the team's best 3-point shooter in Parker Stewart. Who is going to guard TJD? The newbies have Logan Duncomb and nobody else. Jackson Davis and Race Thompson would score easily almost every possession.

Parker probably should be on the newbie squad since he hasn’t played here yet 

8Bucks said: "Parker probably should be on the newbie squad since he hasn’t played here yet."

Parker Stewart was brought in when Archie Miller was coach and was at IU for a semester before Woodson came on. Even so, there is nobody among the new players who can stop Trayce Jackson Davis. TJD only had difficulty scoring when guarded by bigger NBA size players. As long as the returning players don't have to win it on the free throw line, they would win. But obviously there is some real talent coming in with skills that the IU team lacked last season. It will be fun to see how they mesh with the returning players, especially TJD.

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

8Bucks said: "Parker probably should be on the newbie squad since he hasn’t played here yet."

Parker Stewart was brought in when Archie Miller was coach and was at IU for a semester before Woodson came on. Even so, there is nobody among the new players who can stop Trayce Jackson Davis. TJD only had difficulty scoring when guarded by bigger NBA size players. As long as the returning players don't have to win it on the free throw line, they would win. But obviously there is some real talent coming in with skills that the IU team lacked last season. It will be fun to see how they mesh with the returning players, especially TJD.

I think it would be cool to see how the returning players shoot from outside simply based on having more freedom and encouragement to shoot. During the summer they should improve based on practice but I have this feeling that they would shoot better than last year just because of the change in philosophy. 

3 hours ago, ap2345 said:

The official roster for the 2021-2022 season is now finally set unless something crazy happens. Woody and company have come in to Bloomington and gotten to work on improving this roster and it looks really good on paper. Let's all hope it translates to W's on the court. 

1. Rob Phinisee 6'1 187

2. Khristian Lander 6'2 185

3. Xavier Johnson 6'3 200

4. Trey Galloway 6'4 210

5. Parker Stewart 6'5 200

6. Anthony Leal 6'5 210

7. Tamar Bates 6'5 180 

8. Jordan Geronimo 6'6 220

9. Miller Kopp 6'7 215

10. Race Thompson 6'8 228

11. Trayce Jackson-Davis 6'9 245

12. Logan Duncomb 6'9 230

13. Michael Durr 7'0 250 

Is it November yet? I absolutely cannot wait until next season. 

4 hours ago, ap2345 said:

The official roster for the 2021-2022 season is now finally set unless something crazy happens. Woody and company have come in to Bloomington and gotten to work on improving this roster and it looks really good on paper. Let's all hope it translates to W's on the court. 

1. Rob Phinisee 6'1 187

2. Khristian Lander 6'2 185

3. Xavier Johnson 6'3 200

4. Trey Galloway 6'4 210

5. Parker Stewart 6'5 200

6. Anthony Leal 6'5 210

7. Tamar Bates 6'5 180 

8. Jordan Geronimo 6'6 220

9. Miller Kopp 6'7 215

10. Race Thompson 6'8 228

11. Trayce Jackson-Davis 6'9 245

12. Logan Duncomb 6'9 230

13. Michael Durr 7'0 250 

It's not without weaknesses, but seems to be a definite upgrade. Especially considering the time in which it has happened.

2 hours ago, bigrod said:

It's not without weaknesses, but seems to be a definite upgrade. Especially considering the time in which it has happened.

Agreed.  A couple of holes in the roster but i think the staff got the right players to eventually fill those gaps, which is something we haven't had in awhile.  Our frontcourt looks way better (six guys over 6'6")  and our backcourt looks absolutely stacked (Xavier, Lander, Bates, Parker, Phinisee & Galloway).  As long as the shooting improves, this team could be very potent.  Looks like a fun group (haven't seen a "fun" looking team since Crean).  I also think the distractions are gone and this is a group that's going to work (Lots of tough players i.e. Phinisee, Xavier, Galloway, Race, Bates, etc).  First time in awhile i can say i'm excited about the team, or the program for that matter.

On 4/24/2021 at 8:11 AM, Honkyman said:

Might be more of a game now that the newbies have Durr.

I don't think Woody would be surprised if either Jerome or Jordan start for him in the starting lineup.

He has the ability to guard a variety of positions, and his shooting stroke makes him hard to defend. I believe Jordan G can guard four out of five positions better than anyone else. He is a natural fit for 25-30 minutes per game if he continues to develop over the summer.

Haven't been as active on here the last few days. Wife and I welcomed our baby girl into this world this morning! I am super pumped about the addition of Tamar and Miller. I think both have a massive impact on the team next year. Tamar is a steal. I think he can be this teams best player in a few seasons. Miller is the kind of player IU has needed lately. I'll see how the dominoes fall in the B1G but I really do think IU has a chance next year to be very good. I think for now the IU news is going to slow down. I have a big recruiting battle of my own-my wife is a UK fan. Going to have to convince by daughter to root for IU!!! 

My wife is a UK fan as well so I feel your pain brother!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, yogisballin said:

My wife is a UK fan as well so I feel your pain brother!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Same boat here with an UK fan wife. With the roster we have in place, I really hope they restart the IU/UK series. It seems with our prior two coaches, Cal has had the upper hand.  But with CMW, I don't believe that is the case. Crean had an inferiority complex, and Archie was more of the underdog.  CMW is a big dog Cal may not want to tangle with based on their current status and roster make-up.