Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Next Year’s Roster

With portal comings and goings, thought it might be useful to take stock of the current state of the non-portal, non-declared roster for next season:

G - Phinisee

G - Stewart 

G - Leal

G/F - Galloway 

F - Hunter 

F - Jackson-Davis

C - Duncomb 

C - Brunk

That’s eight players so far. Only one of them 6’6”-6’8”. But a pretty solid eight to work off of if the coaching is good.

Go Woody — Go IU

I think ideal but realistic rest of off-season would be the roster looking like:
Phinisee
Lander
Armaan
Stewart
Leal
Galloway
Jerome
Race
TJD
Duncomb
Swider*
X. Johnson*
Gurley*

Assistant Coaches:
Kenya, Fife, Lewis (Ok, maybe unrealistic)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I will update this list as guys re commit, commit, or transfer out. 

1. Rob Phinisee

2. Parker Stewart

3. Anthony Leal 

4. Trey Galloway

5. Jerome Hunter 

6. Joey Brunk 

7. Logan Duncomb 

8. Trayce Jackson-Davis

TBD

Jordan Geronimo 

Race Thompson

Armaan Franklin

Khristian Lander

8 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

I think ideal but realistic rest of off-season would be the roster looking like:
Phinisee
Lander
Armaan
Stewart
Leal
Galloway
Jerome
Race
TJD
Duncomb
Swider*
X. Johnson*
Gurley*

Assistant Coaches:
Kenya, Fife, Lewis (Ok, maybe unrealistic)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Landing Swider, X. Johnson, and Gurley are all realistic?

2 hours ago, ap2345 said:

1. Rob Phinisee

2. Parker Stewart

3. Anthony Leal 

4. Trey Galloway

5. Jerome Hunter 

6. Joey Brunk 

7. Logan Duncomb 

8. Trayce Jackson-Davis

TBD

Jordan Geronimo 

Race Thompson

Armaan Franklin

Khristian Lander

I think Brunk is still a TBD. It looks like he will probably return since he's been at the team meetings but the last I saw it was undetermined whether he would return for next season or not. Of course, this was when Miller was still coach so maybe that has changed and I just missed it.

9 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I think Brunk is still a TBD. It looks like he will probably return since he's been at the team meetings but the last I saw it was undetermined whether he would return for next season or not. Of course, this was when Miller was still coach so maybe that has changed and I just missed it.

Nothing has been announced but since he’s been at the meetings I’m assuming he’ll be back as long as he’s healthy.

10 hours ago, HoosierCoop said:

Does anybody have insight on who are the top must-get, best-fit , have a realistic chance to get targets are in the portal?

Don’t think anyone knows that yet.

I haven't seen anything relating RP. Not in the portal and apparently not talking either. Be interesting to see how he fits into the plan. For me, the most interesting aspect of the coming season is how our returning players react to a new coaching staff and philosophy. For better or worse, I think CMW will be a compassionate, no nonsense coach. Maybe a softer, less profane version of Coach Bob Knight. Coach Knight called him a disciplinarian. Honestly, I like it.

My understanding is that college men's basketball rosters are limited to 13 scholarship players.  However. the NCAA has granted an extra year of eligibility to all the players that played last year.  That means that the number of college players is going to increase next year (5th year seniors + incoming freshmen).  In fact the number should remain higher for the next 4 years until the "extra" year players are out of the system.  My question is whether the max limit on players is going to be increased.  Will the "extra" year players count against the number of scholarships?  While IU only has a one freshman class, it may have a major impact on a number of programs, depending on the rule.

As I understand it the 13 limit is still in place with the exception of Seniors in eligibility from this past season. For instance, Joey Brunk (or Durham had he returned) do NOT count against the 13 limit for the up-coming season.

So if Brunk plays for IU then they could carry 14 scholarships total. And this past season did not count against anyone's eligibility. So Lander, Leal, Galloway, Geronimo can all play 4 more seasons. 

If I am mistaken someone please correct me. 

32 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

As I understand it the 13 limit is still in place with the exception of Seniors in eligibility from this past season. For instance, Joey Brunk (or Durham had he returned) do NOT count against the 13 limit for the up-coming season.

So if Brunk plays for IU then they could carry 14 scholarships total. And this past season did not count against anyone's eligibility. So Lander, Leal, Galloway, Geronimo can all play 4 more seasons. 

If I am mistaken someone please correct me. 

This is correct at this point in time.

1. Rob Phinisee 6'1

2. Parker Stewart 6'5

3. Anthony Leal 6'5

4. Trey Galloway 6'4

5. Jerome Hunter 6'7

6. Joey Brunk 6'11

7. Logan Duncomb 6'9

8. Trayce Jackson-Davis 6'9

9. Khristian Lander 6'2

10. Jordan Geronimo 6'6

11. TBD

12. TBD

13. TBD

14. TBD

Still in the Portal 

Race Thompson

Armaan Franklin

I will update this list as guys re commit, commit, or transfer out. Woody and company now have 2 available scholarships to play with and no players left in the portal. 

1. Rob Phinisee 6'1

2. Parker Stewart 6'5

3. Anthony Leal 6'5

4. Trey Galloway 6'4

5. Jerome Hunter 6'7

6. Joey Brunk 6'11

7. Logan Duncomb 6'9

9. Khristian Lander 6'2

10. Jordan Geronimo 6'6

11. Race Thompson 6'8

12. Xavier Johnson 6'3 

13. TBD

14. TBD

6 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I will update this list as guys re commit, commit, or transfer out. Woody and company now have 2 available scholarships to play with and no players left in the portal. 

1. Rob Phinisee 6'1

2. Parker Stewart 6'5

3. Anthony Leal 6'5

4. Trey Galloway 6'4

5. Jerome Hunter 6'7

6. Joey Brunk 6'11

7. Logan Duncomb 6'9

9. Khristian Lander 6'2

10. Jordan Geronimo 6'6

11. Race Thompson 6'8

12. Xavier Johnson 6'3 

13. TBD

14. TBD

My guess on rotation as things sit:

Phinisee/Lander

Johnson (PG role)/Galloway

Stewart/Leal

Hunter/Geronimo

TJD/Thompson

Noah Locke would be a huge get here, perfectly slot into that Phinisee/Lander role and gives us a dead eye shooter.

XJohnson

TJD

PStewart

Pick two out of: Race, Rob, Khristian, Jordan, Jerome, Joey.

I tend to think Woody prefers a bigger lineup--wouldn't be surprised to see Jerome or Jordan as the starting '3'.

If Jordan G can show the ability to guard smaller players he will be hard to keep out of the lineup--i think he has the ability to guard four of five positions better than anyone else on the roster, and he has a good three point stroke. He is a natural fit for 25-30 minutes per game if he continues to develop over the summer.