Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Next Year’s Roster

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

XJohnson

TJD

PStewart

Pick two out of: Race, Rob, Khristian, Jordan, Jerome, Joey.

I tend to think Woody prefers a bigger lineup--wouldn't be surprised to see Jerome or Jordan as the starting '3'.

If Jordan G can show the ability to guard smaller players he will be hard to keep out of the lineup--i think he has the ability to guard four of five positions better than anyone else on the roster, and he has a good three point stroke. He is a natural fit for 25-30 minutes per game if he continues to develop over the summer.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Woody uses more lineups based on match ups. Sometimes play big and sometimes play small. I think Leal could be a surprise off of the bench in a Zeisloft type role. Mike Woodson likes him some shooters. 

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I also wouldn't be surprised if Woody uses more lineups based on match ups. Sometimes play big and sometimes play small. I think Leal could be a surprise off of the bench in a Zeisloft type role. Mike Woodson likes him some shooters. 

Agree. Think people are sleeping on Leal and Galloway. Leal because of shooting, and Galloway is a Swiss army knife player. Trey's shot was always ugly, but got worse after he was injured.  Those guys are both gym rats, so improvement will happen.  Exact type of players we need that love IU,  and want to contribute any way possible.

32 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I will update this list as guys re commit, commit, or transfer out. Woody and company now have 2 available scholarships to play with and no players left in the portal. 

1. Rob Phinisee 6'1

2. Parker Stewart 6'5

3. Anthony Leal 6'5

4. Trey Galloway 6'4

5. Jerome Hunter 6'7

6. Joey Brunk 6'11

7. Logan Duncomb 6'9

8. Trayce Jackson-Davis 6'9

9. Khristian Lander 6'2

10. Jordan Geronimo 6'6

11. Race Thompson 6'8

12. Xavier Johnson 6'3 

13. TBD

14. TBD

We should get a big.  

6 guards. a few of these can play small but not ideal wing(guards-Phin, XJ, Lander, Leal-guards with potential to be small wing-Stewart, Galloway)

2 wings.  Geronimo, Hunter

4 bigs.  1 freshman, 1 with injury probs, 1 all BIG candidate, and 1 small-big.

My analysis says no more guards. Go wing with Brooks who can play 3 or 4.  Or go for a legit big guy.   

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We should get a big.  

6 guards. a few of these can play small but not ideal wing(guards-Phin, XJ, Lander, Leal-guards with potential to be small wing-Stewart, Galloway)

My analysis says no more guards. Go wing with Brooks who can play 3 or 4.  Or go for a legit big guy.   

I think a wing and a big make the most sense. The big would likely just be a role player though because I doubt any big names would come to take a back seat. I wouldn't mind a Brooks, Easley, or Kopp addition either for that wing spot. 

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We should get a big.  

Agree with guards. Get a guy with some size that can play the 3-4. 

Just now, ap2345 said:

I think a wing and a big make the most sense. The big would likely just be a role player though because I doubt any big names would come to take a back seat. I wouldn't mind a Brooks, Easley, or Kopp addition either for that wing spot. 

Miller Kopp would be perfect. He could space the floor at the 3 or 4. XJ/Lander driving and kicking to Stewart, Kopp, or Hunter.... yes please. 

I don't think we take another big because it is a logjam there and as you said they won't want to take a backseat. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Actually Brooks would be perfect--he's so incredibly active, and I tells ya!--his three point shot is completely fixable.

A five of TJD, Brooks, Jordan G, Stewart, and X Johnson would be really special. One or two serious three point shooters, two others that have to be guarded at the three, and defensive length and quickness that could switch one through five.

Who's Brooks? I don't see his name in the portal :)

edit: although out of the 1,500 names I am sure there is someone named Brooks lol

Actually Brooks would be perfect--he's so incredibly active, and I tells ya!--his three point shot is completely fixable.
A five of TJD, Brooks, Jordan G, Stewart, and X Johnson would be really special. One or two serious three point shooters, two others that have to be guarded at the three, and defensive length and quickness that could switch one through five.

Would love to see this lineup in action. Especially in transition.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Who's Brooks? I don't see his name in the portal :)

edit: although out of the 1,500 names I am sure there is someone named Brooks lol

Indeed, there are a few: 

4 PF RS SO
6-9
220     Washington    
2 PF FR
6-6
190     Iona    
3 C RS SR
6-11
245 Yes   Miami Ole Miss  
2 SG FR
6-2
193     Abilene Christian

Food for though on our three point shooting.......with Franklin and Durham leaving, we did lose our two best three point shooters for last year.  But taking a look at the numbers would suggest even if nothing else changes (IMO, we are going to be a better shooting team with better movement next year), we didn't really drop anything in shooting.

Let's say that every players on next year's roster continues hitting the same percentage from three that they have in their college career so far and continues to take the same number of threes per game:

Stewart:  6.8 threes, 37% make

Johnson:  3.3 threes, 34% make

Phin:  2.9 threes, 30% make

Hunter:  2.5 threes, 32% make

Lander:  1.8 threes, 27% make

Leal:  1.5 threes, 30% make

Galloway:  1.3 threes, 18% make

Geronimo:  0.5 threes, 40% make

Thompson:  0.4 threes, 22% make.

TEAM TOTALS:  6.7 makes per game on 32% three point shooting.

Indiana's 2020-1 totals:  6.2 makes per game on 32% three point shooting.

So despite the loss of Franklin and Durham, the numbers suggest that we haven't really lost any shooting overall and if this was an Archie Miller coached team, we'd expect the same results as last year.  I am confident that with proper coaching, we are going to see a nice increase.

47 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Food for though on our three point shooting.......with Franklin and Durham leaving, we did lose our two best three point shooters for last year.  But taking a look at the numbers would suggest even if nothing else changes (IMO, we are going to be a better shooting team with better movement next year), we didn't really drop anything in shooting.

Let's say that every players on next year's roster continues hitting the same percentage from three that they have in their college career so far and continues to take the same number of threes per game:

So despite the loss of Franklin and Durham, the numbers suggest that we haven't really lost any shooting overall and if this was an Archie Miller coached team, we'd expect the same results as last year.  I am confident that with proper coaching, we are going to see a nice increase.

I'll add this, our focus seems to be entirely on some combination of getting better shooters or improving the shooting of those we already have which will certainly help but so will improving the teams rebounding. A team full 30-35% shooters can do a lot of damage if they rebound the misses at a high rate and improvements in rebounding will help win games when even a great shooting team has a bad night. Everyone is enamored with Baylor's 3 point shooting but the offensive rebounding performance was just important. 

1 hour ago, hoosierbgh said:

I'll add this, our focus seems to be entirely on some combination of getting better shooters or improving the shooting of those we already have which will certainly help but so will improving the teams rebounding. A team full 30-35% shooters can do a lot of damage if they rebound the misses at a high rate and improvements in rebounding will help win games when even a great shooting team has a bad night. Everyone is enamored with Baylor's 3 point shooting but the offensive rebounding performance was just important. 

Excellent observation on the offensive rebounding.  And this is where Jordan, Race, Hunter,  and Galloway crashing from the wings comes into play. Having length for longer misses is huge. It also creates putbacks or quick passes to open shooters while the defense is scrambling.  This is also why we need some bulldogs that get pissed when they miss and want to get their own rebound, as opposed to hanging their head and moping. 

7 hours ago, ap2345 said:

I will update this list as guys re commit, commit, or transfer out. Woody and company now have 2 available scholarships to play with and no players left in the portal. 

1. Rob Phinisee 6'1

2. Parker Stewart 6'5

3. Anthony Leal 6'5

4. Trey Galloway 6'4

5. Jerome Hunter 6'7

6. Joey Brunk 6'11

7. Logan Duncomb 6'9

8. Trayce Jackson-Davis 6'9

9. Khristian Lander 6'2

10. Jordan Geronimo 6'6

11. Race Thompson 6'8

12. Xavier Johnson 6'3 

13. TBD

14. TBD

I really like the look of that roster. We won't have to play Jordan at the 5, unless Woody wants to.

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I haven't seen him play enough, so what do see in his shot that's broken or fixable?

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I said this elsewhere but applies here, fwiw I wouldn't assume the shooting percentages of several of the players are representative of their shooting, they're not. CAM's offense devalued the outside shot, it wasn't run to create spacing for outside shooters or better opportunities and they were basically discouraged from shooting -- that goes to the small number of outside shots we took in relation to other B1G teams and the points about confidence we've heard TJD among other comment on. And there's more history here. 

Leal is a very good outside shooter, he's way better than a 30% shooter. We'll see that. Hunter finished his prior year hitting over 40% in the last 10 games. For much of the season he was hitting around 38%. He's definitely better than a 32% shooter, the kid can shoot, and he's going to have spacing and the green light to show it. Rob is absolutely better than a 30% shooter, he was touted coming into last season as one of our 3 best outside shooters. Really think it's a confidence/head thing with him, and with Woody he'll get a lot of positive pushing of his shot. 

We're going to shoot better than this.

PER (Player Efficiency Rating) for each. These are mostly based on offense with only a few defensive stats used to calculate. It works better for the NBA since the teams all play each other while in the NCAA there can be huge differences in the competition's talent level. Not perfect but gives a decent idea.

These numbers can also vary by position (bigs tend to have much higher numbers) but overall 15 should be average. Around 20 will be all-B1G for guards. Guard play for IU has been a problem for the past few years and these numbers back that up. 

Franklin

19-20: 7.9

20-21: 14.4 

Career: 11.8

Durham

17-18: 9.3

18-19: 9.7

19-20: 14.9

20-21: 13.3

Career: 11.9

Stewart

17-18: 13.7

19-20: 19.2

Career: 16.6

Johnson

18-19: 17.9

19-20: 14.8

20-21: 20.8

Career: 17.2 

For the record Phinisee has had PER of 10.9, 12.8, and 9.3 with 10.9 for his career. That's bad. Really bad. For comparison Yogi had PER of 13.0, 18.9, 21.7, 22.9 and career 19.4.

From this it appears there should be a significant improvement in guard play. We won't know fur sure until the games are played but this indicates we'll have a couple of pretty good guards.

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

PER (Player Efficiency Rating) for each. These are mostly based on offense with only a few defensive stats used to calculate. It works better for the NBA since the teams all play each other while in the NCAA there can be huge differences in the competition's talent level. Not perfect but gives a decent idea.

These numbers can also vary by position (bigs tend to have much higher numbers) but overall 15 should be average. Around 20 will be all-B1G for guards. Guard play for IU has been a problem for the past few years and these numbers back that up. 

Franklin

19-20: 7.9

20-21: 14.4 

Career: 11.8

Durham

17-18: 9.3

18-19: 9.7

19-20: 14.9

20-21: 13.3

Career: 11.9

Stewart

17-18: 13.7

19-20: 19.2

Career: 16.6

Johnson

18-19: 17.9

19-20: 14.8

20-21: 20.8

Career: 17.2 

For the record Phinisee has had PER of 10.9, 12.8, and 9.3 with 10.9 for his career. That's bad. Really bad. For comparison Yogi had PER of 13.0, 18.9, 21.7, 22.9 and career 19.4.

From this it appears there should be a significant improvement in guard play. We won't know fur sure until the games are played but this indicates we'll have a couple of pretty good guards.

Yup. Really not worried about G play right now. If Lander can develop and hold down the one, Johnson (2) and Stewart (3) can take the wings. Assuming TJD is the in/5, that leaves only the 4 to solve for. If they use Johnson at 1, that may change things up. Hopefully both Lander and Phin will raise their games with new coaching.