Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Me So Hornsby

Indy Restaurant Recommendations?

Going to Indy in May for my wife and I’s first anniversary and have been trying to research the best Indy has to offer. We are staying close to downtown but don’t mind a drive. We like good food and are pretty adventurous. We did St Elmos last year so something other than that. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

32 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

Going to Indy in May for my wife and I’s first anniversary and have been trying to research the best Indy has to offer. We are staying close to downtown but don’t mind a drive. We like good food and are pretty adventurous. We did St Elmos last year so something other than that. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Milktooth & Patachou for brunch

Provision, The Eagle, & Union 50 for dinner

Bazbeaux & Napolese for pizza

Chatham Tap, Yats, & Bakersfield for casual

Slapfish for seafood 

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

RathSkellar used to be my spot. Yummm

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yep.  Absolutely if the weather's good.   

Others for you, Hornsby...  Iaria's for Italian.  It's a "joint."  (south College Ave)  Was Rick Majerus' favorite spot and exceptional.   Revolucion in Fountain Square is killer if you like tacos.  If you find yourself north, Miracle sushi in Carmel on old Meridian Street is by far the best i've ever had, and I've had it in San Diego. Noah Grant's or the Salty Cowboy in Zionsville are great....Salty Cowboy very casual.  Can't go wrong with Ambrosia in "mid town."  Corner of Kessler and College.

If you like German foods, The Rathskeller is a definite place to eat:   https://rathskeller.com/

True delicatessen fare - Shapiro's               https://shapiros.com/

Steaks:  St. Elmo's, Ruth's Chris, Harry & Izzy's.    If you should go to St. Elmo's DO NOT pass up the shrimp cocktail.

2 hours ago, hper50 said:

Union 50 is awesome. The Tomahawk Pork Chop is spectacular

Are they still doing live music on weekends? Love the sticky wings and shrimp & grits there. Don’t live in Indy anymore but love how the downtown food scene has evolved. 15 years ago you could count the worthwhile spots on one hand. Now there’s too many to count. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Ale emporium for casual food for lunch. Try the wings. Workingmens friend for lunch also. Take cash and enjoy the best burger in Indy.  Patachou for breakfast. I'll let others recommend dinner places

I live in Indy and still haven't had the Workingman's Friend burger. Shameful. Getting vaccinated at the Speedway on the 16th... maybe I go to the west side early to relish!

Oakley's Bistro on the Northside (86th and Michigan area) is my favorite restaurant in the whole city. Affordable (for what it is, don't expect a dollar menu) quality bistro food, good wine and cocktails, and a great atmosphere.

I would also add Flatwater and Half Liter in Broadripple. Both are great outdoor eat, drink, and hang spots.

If you like beer, the Black Acre Beer Garden in Irvington is great. They have small plates, but mostly a place to have a pint. While you are in that neighborhood, I would also recommend either Steer Inn Diner (classic diner, best in the city) or Jackamo's Pizza.

Speaking of pizza, last recommendation would be King Dough on the near east side. Best pizza in the city. I live in the burbs now, but my friends all still live in the city. Whenever we go visit them, you can usually count on us to get a King Dough pizza to bring home and eat later.

There is also the bottle works place that opened up on Mass Ave. Its kind of an open concept, mall style eating hall. I haven't had anything from there, but may be worth checking out?

Have fun!