Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Coach Woodson's Media Appearances

I realize this is not going to be a popular opinion, but I'm surprised at how unpolished Woodson comes across. His personality is so sleepy, and in this interview the only player from the current roster he name dropped was the guy who left (Franklin), rather than any of the guys who stayed. Strange.
Woodson is certainly going to be an interesting case study on whether personality or pedigree win out on the recruiting trail. I worry about whether more dynamic coaches are going to recruit circles around him. Hopefully he proves me wrong!

I can see that. Personally I think he’s just being cautious (and probably a bit nervous given the fresh circumstances) in front of the media and wants to make sure he says the right things. I feel like he’s probably much more personable when the cameras are off. Hearing some clips of his coaching he seems to know how to connect to guys. And despite a lot of what we hear, I think a good portion of parents out there are wary of the recruiting wolves. Woodson could be a really nice change of pace for some players and their parents.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He's talked like that to the media his entire career, and yet his NBA players seem to universally love him. People can have different media personalities.

Exactly. Watch the video on YouTube on him in practice. He’s a totally different human being. Walking around and joking and ripping on players. He might not like the media and that’s fine. I wouldn’t either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, IU Prof said:

I realize this is not going to be a popular opinion, but I'm surprised at how unpolished Woodson comes across. His personality is so sleepy, and in this interview the only player from the current roster he name dropped was the guy who left (Franklin), rather than any of the guys who stayed. Strange.

Woodson is certainly going to be an interesting case study on whether personality or pedigree win out on the recruiting trail. I worry about whether more dynamic coaches are going to recruit circles around him. Hopefully he proves me wrong!

Well he had already has won a lot of recruiting battles with the 4 staying us Johnson.  It is obvious what ever Woodson is telling players and their parents are working.

37 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

CMW met with Rick Bozich and 2 other journalists yesterday and Bozich will have a story out tomorrow.  But Bozich did relate this today on CMW's first meeting with TJD.

The Kentucky Derby horses are off for at least the next 11 days, but college basketball does not believe in Pause Mode.

Translation: This is a perfect time for Dr. Bo College Basketball Notebook.

On Tuesday, I joined two other journalists on a 40-minute Zoom interview with new Indiana men’s basketball coach Mike Woodson. I’ll have a longer piece on what we discussed Wednesday.

Here is one revealing nugget from our conversation to tip off a string of notebook items.

*How Mike Woodson Convinced Trayce Jackson-Davis to Stay at IU

After his first series of meetings with the IU basketball players, Woodson was dejected. Down. Frustrated.

He concluded his final group meeting in the IU locker room by asking for a show of hands of the players who intended to stay with the Hoosiers.

“Everybody committed except the five best players,” Woodson said. “I walked away from that meeting really dejected. I mean, I was down.

“I was like, ‘Wow, how can this be? You guys are not even giving me a chance.’

“So I had to do some damage control. I had to start setting up meetings with the parents and the players and I had to tell them what was on my heart and how I felt about the individual player as a player and how I thought that player could help us from a team standpoint.

Trayce Jackson-Davis had a career game in Indiana's loss to Michigan State Saturday. IU athletics photo. 

“I started at the top with Jackson-Davis.”

In college basketball, they call this recruiting. Woodson put his trademark on his pitch. He put together a long collection of video clips of things Jackson-Davis did not do well, like use his right hand or make jump shots. He summoned Jackson-Davis and his stepfather, Ray Jackson, to his office at Cook Hall.

“It wasn’t a knock against the young man, but I showed film of what he couldn’t do,” Woodson said. “We sat there for about an hour, and it finally registered. I was just waiting and waiting and waiting.

“He finally said, 'Damn, coach, we’ve been sitting here watching tape and you haven’t put anything on there that I’ve done well.'

“I said, 'Bingo.’

“He figured it out because I’m not concerned with what you do well. I’m concerned about what you can’t do and how you can get better to help us win basketball games and better yourself for your future ...

“... It wasn’t a knock against the young man. I honestly thought I could help him make the next move to the big leagues.”

Jackson-Davis will return for his junior season, part of a 13-player roster that Woodson strengthened by keeping most of the IU players while adding grad transfers Xavier Johnson (Pittsburgh) and Miller Kopp (Northwestern), plus top-50 high school recruit Tamar Bates.

“(Jackson-Davis) walked out of that meeting and he came back and said, 'Coach, I’m on board,” Woodson said.

“That’s all I needed to hear. I gave him the biggest hug. I said, 'Hey, man, let’s do this together. Now we’ve got to go after the rest of the guys back.'"

image.png

Absolutely love this. That's coaching, right there. Can't wait to hear more from these zooms. 

This isn't from a media appearance but it's a good inside look at CMW and how he never forgets those who've helped him over the years.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketballs-mike-woodson-has-a-history-of-recognizing-those-who-helped-forge-his-path/?fbclid=IwAR1xdibQkq5bHr5X_JPTTDpIq-3w47VYyy-Fw3YbxLU9UWXF8QO6mQj8ZLo

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This isn't from a media appearance but it's a good inside look at CMW and how he never forgets those who've helped him over the years.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketballs-mike-woodson-has-a-history-of-recognizing-those-who-helped-forge-his-path/?fbclid=IwAR1xdibQkq5bHr5X_JPTTDpIq-3w47VYyy-Fw3YbxLU9UWXF8QO6mQj8ZLo

There seem to be so many stories about Woody like this one that point to him being both honest and loyal, but most of all just a genuinely good guy that leaves everyone in his wake a better person.  Regardless of how many wins or losses he gets as a coach here (and I think we’ll see a lot of wins), I know I’ll have total respect and admiration for the person that is our head coach.  That’s extremely rare in college basketball, and I can’t say I’ve ever truly had that feeling about a basketball coach here at Indiana.

2 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

I just caught that POD cast on the way into work this morning.  Very enjoyable and genuine to listen to.  Gives much credit to those around him.  I think he will bring a lot of the mindset that he had growing up to today's players that WANT to take advantage of his knoweldge.

On 5/4/2021 at 3:43 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Right man at the right time.  

From the Guyton interview Coach Woodson mentions that Bruce's cafe was his favorite restaurant while he played here.  As someone who was born in Bloomington (76) and has lived here almost all of my 45 years, I don't think I  ever ate at Bruce's Cafe. Does anyone else remember that place? What were they known for? CMW said they had great pastries. 

32 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

From the Guyton interview Coach Woodson mentions that Bruce's cafe was his favorite restaurant while he played here.  As someone who was born in Bloomington (76) and has lived here almost all of my 45 years, I don't think I  ever ate at Bruce's Cafe. Does anyone else remember that place? What were they known for? CMW said they had great pastries. 

Great place to eat.  Although I only remember going there after the bars closed for breakfast.  Most often after my buddies band had a gig at a local bar (usually Jakes), and after we had torn everything down and loaded it into the van.  No idea what time they actually opened or closed, but great omelets. 

1 minute ago, HoosierTownie said:

Great place to eat.  Although I only remember going there after the bars closed for breakfast.  Most often after my buddies band had a gig at a local bar (usually Jakes), and after we had torn everything down and loaded it into the van.  No idea what time they actually opened or closed, but great omelets. 

I looked it up and found that they opened at 3am and closed at 3pm.