Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

2 minutes ago, iubb said:

I’m pretty kids these days know NBA history if they are someone who has sights set on becoming an NBA Pro.

It’s not like they can watch archival footage of old NBA games.

Oh wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I very seriously doubt kids are poring over film of games from the 2000s.  

Just now, iubb said:

Um. I am pretty sure they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teenagers have changed quite a bit since I was a teenager apparently.  

Considering how different the NBA is nowadays not sure why they would pore over it 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

So, @IndianaMBB is hiring Mike Woodson-& I see some college basketball cops are already killing the move, before he's even, ah, coached his first game. I have no idea if Woody will be successful there; P6 hoops is often about way more than Xs and Os, if you get my mean

But I'd love to see a Venn Diagram intersecting today's hot-takers with a) those who said Michigan was crazy to hire "an NBA guy" in Juwan Howard, w/no head coaching experience, & b) those who said Leonard Hamilton was a "failed NBA coach" when Florida State hired him.

Like I said, I have no idea if Woody will win at IU. Here's what I know: he took a 13-win Hawks team to 53 wins in 6 years. And the last Knicks coach to win 50 games wasn't Mike D'Antoni, or Jeff Hornacek. Maybe we could actually let him coach a year or two and find out together 

David Aldridge 

I’m not saying fire him.  But that doesn’t mean I have to pretend the hire isn’t stupid.  

Another thing, I am pretty optimistic about the Woodson/Matta/asst(recruiters) dynamic they are setting up, but if at 3 yrs in it is not going well, I see Woodson as a guy that would gracefully step down. This dude is doing this 75% because he wants IU to be his IU, and 25% $$. If he saw that he wasn't the guy, I think he would walk away if requested.

2 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Exactly.

I don't follow the football team as closely as BB, but I was totally underwhelmed when Tom Allen was hired without even a search.  So far it's turned out damn well - in large part because of TA's enthusiasm.  It's said that Woodson really wants this job and has for several years.  IMO there's a definite chance this works out well (DISCLAIMER: No coaching hire ever comes with an assurance of success).

Disagree anyone who watched IU football saw the talent had when he was the defensive coordinator under Wilsons tenure. I felt it was a great hire because of that defense, had the energy, and knew our college program.  

As if these same people weren’t super confident about Archie 

I was middle ground on him because I wasn’t sure of the mid major transition.

But go ahead and lump me in with the group opposite you because I’m urging people to do the same thing I’m doing: SUCK IT UP. This is where we are. Nobody has to be in love with this hire, but they definitely don’t have to whine, moan, and be ‘those’ fans.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, 94Bulldog said:

So I guess that flight tracking to and from New York over the last 10 days was legit....

So Woodson was really our #2 or we struck out the last week. 

Just now, HinnyHoosier said:

I was middle ground on him because I wasn’t sure of the mid major transition.

But go ahead and lump me in with the group opposite you because I’m urging people to do the same thing I’m doing: SUCK IT UP. This is where we are. Nobody has to be in love with this hire, but they definitely don’t have to whine, moan, and be ‘those’ fans.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

As opposed to “those fans” already talking smack about how great the hire is