Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m sure the recruits parents can explain some of these names. Carmelo in the 2000s. Huge name.  Carmelo now, that guy drafted with Lebron and Wade 

C’mon Brass, you asked and now you know. And you know better. 

The man has multiple years with Chris Paul for crying out loud.

Whatever makes you look cool buddy. Anyone who knows me here that I chatter about all IU sports. I rooted for the women’s basketball and football team before it was cool.

So it won’t hurt you a bit to put the big boy pants on and see this through...

Buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m sure the recruits parents can explain some of these names. Carmelo in the 2000s. Huge name.  Carmelo now, that guy drafted with Lebron and Wade 

I’m pretty kids these days know NBA history if they are someone who has sights set on becoming an NBA Pro.

It’s not like they can watch archival footage of old NBA games.

Oh wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

As someone else said there has only been like 70 black NBA coaches, he can tell a recruit he is one of them. He has 25 years of NBA experience. He has Matta, he has friends in AAU, World Wide Wes loves him. Plus he hasn’t assembled his staff yet.

Calbert, Fife, Lewis????

Just now, Stuhoo said:

C’mon Brass, you asked and now you know. An know better. 

The man has multiple years with Chris Paul for crying out loud.

That doesn’t answer the question. He’s knows a bunch of NBA guys.  Most of them Recruits won’t know.  Others were washed up before our recruits starting liking girls.  Chris Paul thing could be useful I will admit. 

3 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

This is where I'm at. Woodson clearly knows the game and how to win from an Xs and Os standpoint. The question is just whether he can parlay his NBA connections to recruit at a sufficient level to win here. If he can come in recruiting at even 80% of the level Penny Hardaway did at Memphis, he'll do fine.

That having been said, this isn't the hire I would have made. Gives me strong Ewing to Georgetown vibes.

Ewing had never been a head coach at any level. Not even in high school.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

As someone else said there has only been like 70 black NBA coaches, he can tell a recruit he is one of them. He has 25 years of NBA experience. He has Matta, he has friends in AAU, World Wide Wes loves him. Plus he hasn’t assembled his staff yet.

I also think it's pretty impressive to be able to say to a recruit, "I played 12 years in the NBA. I know what it takes to make it and I can show you." , before he even has to talk about his NBA coaching record.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

So you learned that you had to give Tom Allen time....but not Woodson?

Exactly.

I don't follow the football team as closely as BB, but I was totally underwhelmed when Tom Allen was hired without even a search.  So far it's turned out damn well - in large part because of TA's enthusiasm.  It's said that Woodson really wants this job and has for several years.  IMO there's a definite chance this works out well (DISCLAIMER: No coaching hire ever comes with an assurance of success).