Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Fizdale: "If you don't like Woody there's something wrong with you ... he made it so fun, and we kept getting better. He just one of the coolest guys who's extremely innovative and thoughtful." 

So National Champions after Woody’s 2nd year? Count me in!

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Fizdale: "If you don't like Woody there's something wrong with you ... he made it so fun, and we kept getting better. He just one of the coolest guys who's extremely innovative and thoughtful... "

(Later talking about Josh Smith, the most difficult player to coach Fizdale has ever met): "(Woody) has the incredible ability to move on. To get over it. (He) keeps his own ego out of it and has the incredible ability to come back the next day and say c'mon kid let's get back to work." 

So Josh Smith was incredibly difficult to coach? Can you imagine if he had ended up at IU and Mike Davis trying coach the uncoachable? I just can't imagine Davis doing well with him. Probably better for both that it never happened.

21 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

So what, if any, moves do Woodson and company make regarding the departure of Mike Roberts from the coaching staff?

Yeah I was wondering that too. Do we stand pat since Matta and some grad assistants can probably handle it or do we bring in an AJ or another former player to fill that role. 

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah I was wondering that too. Do we stand pat since Matta and some grad assistants can probably handle it or do we bring in an AJ or another former player to fill that role. 

I would love to have a former player fill that role - maybe an A.J. or a recent player... like Hulls, Watford, Johnson, or Hartman.

Robert Johnson would allow the staff to bridge the IU generations almost completely with the former players on the staff:

• Early Knight years: Woodson
  • Late Knight & Davis years: Fife
  • Crean & Miller years: Johnson

Interesting thing about the Mike Roberts situation. 

It's been speculated this would happen, so it's not a surprise. But there's still no official word yet -- from Indiana (that he's leaving) or Cincy (that he's been hired). 

The only indication -- other than speculation from folks here who might have some inside info -- this is gonna happen is Goodman's tweet. Just to see if it actually had been confirmed, I googled "Mike Roberts, Indiana" and found 3-4 stories saying that he was leaving -- but the only source is Goodman's tweet. Guess nobody -- other than Goodman -- has done any reporting on it. 

Granted, it's a very small potatoes in the big world of college basketball -- but it's still interesting news to us IU fans. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I would assume this is going to be a recent GA from IU or from another school. Doesn't seem like a very big role. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Interesting thing about the Mike Roberts situation. 

It's been speculated this would happen, so it's not a surprise. But there's still no official word yet -- from Indiana (that he's leaving) or Cincy (that he's been hired). 

The only indication -- other than speculation from folks here who might have some inside info -- this is gonna happen is Goodman's tweet. Just to see if it actually had been confirmed, I googled "Mike Roberts, Indiana" and found 3-4 stories saying that he was leaving -- but the only source is Goodman's tweet. Guess nobody -- other than Goodman -- has done any reporting on it. 

Granted, it's a very small potatoes in the big world of college basketball -- but it's still interesting news to us IU fans. 

I think it has been known for a while now so maybe that why it hasn't been written about. I think IU is just waiting for Cincy to make it official. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I feel like Robert's admin job was wholly created to just to give him something so he wasn't technically out of a job since he wasn't going to be retained as an assistant, out of respect as a former player. I'm sure that Robert's plan was always to leave, but with a job in hand, he could at least be selective with his next coaching job.