Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

3 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Can someone explain to me how the play in games are not all 4 16s vs 17s? How does a potential 11 have to play another potential 11 while 20 lesser teams have a rest?

They divide it into the last 4 at large bids and the last 4 auto bids. It’s pretty unlikely for the last at large bids to be lower than a 12 seed just because of their regular season resumes. 

Just now, Hippopotamo said:

They divide it into the last 4 at large bids and the last 4 auto bids. It’s pretty unlikely for the last at large bids to be lower than a 12 seed just because of their regular season resumes. 

Seems pretty f up just take the last 8 teams in regardless of auto vs at large. Why penalize an 11 seed level team because they play in a challenging conference.

10 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Can someone explain to me how the play in games are not all 4 16s vs 17s? How does a potential 11 have to play another potential 11 while 20 lesser teams have a rest?

It’s about “fairness” but mostly optics...and you’re not wrong. 

5 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Seems pretty f up just take the last 8 teams in regardless of auto vs at large. Why penalize an 11 seed level team because they play in a challenging conference.

The counter argument would be “why make the auto bid teams play an extra game?” Not saying either one is right or wrong. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think all the play in games should be the last 8 of the at large teams

I would lean towards that as well. However, the 16 seeds like having the game because if they win they get a full share of NCAA tournament money, and exposure as being the only game on at that time. It ends up benefitting those programs even if it’s maybe unfair. 

Just now, iu eyedoc said:

not sure fairness is making UCLA play an extra game while Drexel or Hartford sit, but optics ...yeah.

Because those teams won their conference and got an automatic bid,  Also making 4 16 teams play in the play in game makes it harder on the 1 seed.  In the past those teams in the play in game would all be 16 seeds.  Now two of the teams who are 16 seeds would use to be 15 seeds.

4 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

The counter argument would be “why make the auto bid teams play an extra game?” Not saying either one is right or wrong. 

Just eliminate auto bids, top 64. Auto bids are nohing more than just a participation trophy for lesser schools. If the commitee cant get it right, it's on them.

Just now, iu eyedoc said:

Just eliminate auto bids, top 64. Auto bids are nohing more than just a participation trophy for lesser schools. If the commitee cant get it right, it's on them.

That would totally ruin the tournament and ask UMBC about those participation trophy.  Sounds like you are kind of new to the tournament selection process.  To me they need to eliminate 4 of the at large bids and go back to 64 teams.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That would totally ruin the tournament and ask UMBC about those participation trophy.  Sounds like you are kind of new to the tournament selection process.  To me they need to eliminate 4 of the at large bids and go back to 64 teams. 

So you feel better not having UCLA for Drexel?

Why should a lesser team be rewarded for beating lesser teams? UCLA was obviously superior to many auto bids but they had tobeat MSU and some serious talent just to get into the 64 just for  good feels.

5 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

So you feel better not having UCLA for Drexel?

Why should a lesser team be rewarded for beating lesser teams? UCLA was obviously superior to many auto bids but they had tobeat MSU and some serious talent just to get into the 64 just for  good feels.

UCLA had their chance but lost their last 5 games of the season and if they had won a few of those they would not be in this situation.  I will never want to see a 1 seed duke playing a 16 seed Providence.  What makes the tournament so special early n is seeing a 15 seed beating a 2 and seeing these kids get a chance to compete against the best teams.  I take the first two days of the tournament off but if they just went to the top 64 teams I would probably stop taking those days off.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

UCLA had their chance but lost their last 5 games of the season and if they had won a few of those they would not be in this situation.  I will never want to see a 1 seed duke playing a 16 seed Providence.  What makes the tournament so special early n is seeing a 15 seed beating a 2 and seeing these kids get a chance to compete against the best teams.  I take the first two days of the tournament off but if they just went to the top 64 teams I would probably stop taking those days off.

But potentially never giving a 11 seeded UCLA a chance because of auto bidding a  no chance Drexel does not make the tourney better. 15 seeds wins make the tourney great because they are part of the top 64 . Never giving a#11 kenpom UCLA team a chance to allow a #158 Drexel does nothing to make the tourney better.

2 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

But never giving a 11 seeded UCLA a chance because ofauto bidding a  no chance Drexel does not make the tourney better. 15 seeds wins make the tourney great because they are part of the top 64 . Never giving a#11 kenpom UCLA team a chance to allow a #158 Drexel does nothing to make the tourney better.

Yes it does.  just because you make a run in the tournament doesn't mean your resume was good enough to get into the tournament.  VCU did the same thing that UCLA did back in 2011 and that team was not really that great.  Do you py attention to the college game because no way in hell that a 15 seed would be in the top 64 of the tournament.  If you are truly taking the top 64 teams without automatic bids those 13-16 seeded teams would never be in the tournament.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes it does.  just because you make a run in the tournament doesn't mean your resume was good enough to get into the tournament.

What????? resumes?  You are saying a shitty #158 Drexel was more deserving of the tourney than #11UCLA based on going 4-5 in conference but beating powerhouse Elon in the daunting CAA championship. Please.

13 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

What????? resumes?  You are saying a shitty #158 Drexel was more deserving of the tourney than #11UCLA based on going 4-5 in conference but beating powerhouse Elon in the daunting CAA championship. Please.

So you want to change the way the tournament has been selected the last 37 years because one team made a good run to the final 4 LOL!  I guess we need to agree to disagree on this topic.  You might not think it is right but I would bet 85% of college basketball fans rather see the 15-16 teams get in over a mediocre team from a power 5 conference teams.  I hate when I see teams like Belmont go 28-4 and lose in their conference tournament and not get in but a 18-14 power conference team gets in.

9 hours ago, iu eyedoc said:

If you did it your way, it would simply be the power five tournament.  You would have the bottom half of the power five schools in and the smaller schools out.