Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Just now, Chris007 said:

If I'm Mike I stay on at any cost because we're about to get this turned around, then he could get another assistant coaching job after that. I think he wants to be a part of turning this thing around. He loves IU also. 

Agreed, I definitely think he’d want to a part of this big time and I’d hope he’d be willing to do whatever role necessary to stay onboard. I’d like to think if he knew Fife had a shot at coming he’d gladly move down the line a bit to get Dane on the bench. Is the news about an assistant today going to be about Roberts staying on staff, or someone else coming in? 

Just now, IUrocker said:

Agreed, I definitely think he’d want to a part of this big time and I’d hope he’d be willing to do whatever role necessary to stay onboard. I’d like to think if he knew Fife had a shot at coming he’d gladly move down the line a bit to get Dane on the bench. Is the news about an assistant today going to be about Roberts staying on staff, or someone else coming in? 

I have no idea, I'm just guessing this morning. I think it could go either way or maybe both happens

19 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

His family wants him closer to home and when the season ended it was almost certain that he was leaving. However after meeting with Woodson Rabby said that Woodson gave him some things to seriously think about. So it's possible he could decide to come back. 

It’s not like bloomington moved farther away.  They knew where he was going years ago.  

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have no idea, I'm just guessing this morning. I think it could go either way or maybe both happens

Gotcha thanks, and that’s very true. I don’t see how both couldn’t happen. Even if Dane hops onboard and that is announced, that doesn’t mean Roberts couldn’t also be announced that he’s in a different role. 

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

It’s not. bloomington moved farther away.  They knew where he was going years ago.  

The did but sometimes when a kid actually moves 14 hours away families don't like it once it actually happens. I'd say they need to get used to it if he wants to play professionally some day but everyone handles things like that differently. 

Well Lewis is already in Indy and Fife could fly or drive for that matter. Someone hinted in the peegs chat at one point like 3 days ago that Fife flew down to Bloomington but I never saw a flight that confirmed that so who knows if it was true or not. I do know Fife has talked with Woodson to some extent so maybe he really is looking for houses in Bloomington. 

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I told my wife this morning I was becoming a Purdue fan. I said it's time to root for the Black and gold. She said why? We just got a new coach and you said he's doing great things. I said because it's April 1st. She said get out of here and go to work. 

That's why wives are frequently referred to as "better half."

2 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

A really decent article about Woodson, Knight and regaining what IU has lost...from tOSU perspective of their fan site 11 Warriors: https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-basketball/2021/03/121964/an-emperors-shadow#comments

The comments are fun, too.

Thanks!  That was a really good article.

Something that stood out is this line: "but those 10 lost years boiled off the emperor pressure at the heart of the identity crisis..." 

I believe this is very true.  Nobody was going to succeed RMK immediately following his dismissal.  By the Sampson Crean tenures we could have gotten back on the track with the right coach, but they weren't.  Archie was just not a good fit.

Hopefully Mike Woodson is the right guy.  I'm optimistic that is the case.

9 hours ago, akumanina said:

I think you're oversimplifying things. Technically you're right. Stevens can simply resign if he wanted IU job, but what if Celtics management team and the ownership were not cool with his sudden resignation in the middle of the season? Certainly a young coach like Stevens wouldn't want to hurt those peoples' feelings because he may want to come back to the NBA down the road. Boston Celtics is a powerful NBA franchise, and if a young coach like him wants to move on, it would need to be at least a mutual decision or he should be fired for performance reason. 

All true and I am also a firm believer that it's not a good idea to burn bridges......but still. If Stevens wanted to coach IU and his family wanted to move back to Indiana it's hard for me to believe he'd be that cautious. Appears to me has decided to be a NBA coach going forward.