Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

The more I think about it, I think that your probably right.  My initial thought was that Stevens got cold feet because Ainge told him that if he does that, no NBA team will hire him and if he fails he’ll have to go back to mid-major coaching. And given our recent past, the chance of failure is pretty high.

I was thinking exactly this. He actually had a lot to lose. Looks bad burning that bridge as a head coach in arguably a top 3 NBA job. And if he failed what would that look like after the stretch the Celtics have had? Would that tarnish his image?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

I was thinking exactly this. He actually had a lot to lose. Looks bad burning that bridge as a head coach in arguably a top 3 NBA job. And if he failed what would that look like after the stretch the Celtics have had? Would that tarnish his image?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It is all running together but I said something similar in a different thread last week when "Masshole Watch" was still on going. Aside from BS I was pretty skeptical about the non IU names being thrown around as possibilities. I thought we needed someone who really really wanted to be here, because recent history says-- you take this job, you end up fired-- if I was the hot new up and comer I would think long and hard before taking this job. With BS, he gets fired from IU-- Duke, UNC aren't coming calling, and the NBA bridge would probably be burned, at least at the HC level.

55 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

An early 4 star for the 2023 class seems interested, he retweeted this tweet. 

George Hill sponsored AAU team? George Hill went to Broad Ripple as well. Not sure if that will help much with this kid but an interesting connection 

1 hour ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I will tell you why I am excited and happy with the change in direction. I WAS NOT, a hire an IU guy guy (apologies). Brad was as close to an "IU guy" as I was interested in, until I really started digging into MW and the staffing possibilities. The MAJOR thing that sticks out here, is the general disdain for the hire among the brilliant all knowing media types. Some of the vitriol is almost laughable when talking about a guy who coached 30 years in the NBA. Second major thing to me, is the massive out pouring of support from NBA PLAYERS and the IU basketball alumni base. Not even being tepid, or staying silent, basically every Hoosier of note who either had major impact in college and  in the NBA has had nothing but glowing sentiment towards the hire. I remember Archie being a "slam dunk" wunderkind hire according to the all knowing media types. I remember TC being the guy who "made D-Wade" and generally loved by the media. What I don't remember was this level of support from IU alumni or players. I have to believe that if a bunch of former players now feel they can be part of the program, and expect success, they probably know better than I do. 

Soo, swinging back to my original statement about not wanting an IU guy. The reason I have changed my stance is 1. Not IU guy hasn't worked, 2. Maybe all this time, instead of actively ignoring or running away from the shadow of RMK, we should have been embracing it. Maybe this experiment doesn't work, but I can say I haven't been this excited about a hire at IU ever. Bring the family back together, run this ship like an NBA team and lets see what happens. I said before the shine needs to be brought back to this job before we can seriously consider it "elite" and attract the non IU type uber successful coach. Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to share my thoughts as a convert. 

Sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong. 

8 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Just thinking.....often hear people say they are cautiously optimistic about someone getting hired, but I've never heard anyone say that they are 'cautiously pessimistic'.  Why so many degrees of optimism but only one degree of pessimism?

Pessimism, I feel sorry for you.....you're way too pigeon holed.

I have felt that way about IU football for years. Used the exact same phrase.

2 minutes ago, Trish said:

What it could’ve been Brad :( 

Now Woodson is teaching the boys about Indiana Basketball in the main lobby!

Woodson is 63, Stevens can always come back in 10-15 years once Woody has restored the program back to what it was during his day ;)