Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ll always hope for the best. It would be a cool underdog story like Tom Allen. But if the results go the way I expect, I’ll quickly adjust my dedication. I’ve been a Cubs fan my whole life. I know how to come into a season strong and save myself a bunch of time when the writing is on the wall. Hope I’m pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just trust your guy Slater who is the most informed insider in the business in my opinion.   He says Woodson will be fine and that age won’t be a problem just needs him 2 sharks on the bench with him.  

3 hours ago, lillurk said:

I’d really recommend the Fisch interview that quote is from. Woody’s always learning and growing as a coach, willing to admit he doesn’t know it all and adapt.

Mentions liking having interchangeable 6’6”-6’7”+ guys to switch on defense, learning to love the three, putting shooters around stars...all encouraging.

Personally, having watched IU play too many waterbug guards and too few rangy forwards for years, the size/athleticism emphasis is music to my ears. 

I hate the three guard offense. Our last championship had a true center in Dean Garret and great forwards in Thomas and Calloway. Woody gets it.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ll never be convinced that doubling someone’s salary doesn’t bring us an elite coach (any coach will listen to 7 mil a year). Indiana has made the decision to find the diamond in the rough.

The Crean and Miller hire both made enough sense if you are trying to find the next up and comer. There’s an inherent risk in raising the level.

We’ve yet to “steal a coach” and flex our muscles on a coach that’s been successful at the level we are trying to win at.

I agree with you, they only appeared ready to spend for this hire. But were they? We supposedly go after Stevens at 7mil then drop off to option B back are the dollar amount they feel good about? Then of all the coaches they could contact, we contact Holtmann?? It’s crazy.

I think it was always going to be an Indiana guy on this hire. It’s been the mantra for years from the talking heads. Hope they are right.

I’m with you 100% that we should’ve made a $5M+ offer to the clear cut guys (Beard, Oats, etc) and should’ve floated a $7M+ offer to guys like Wright or Bennett. 

But there’s a lot we don’t need know - maybe the $7M was a Stevens-only exception. Maybe we did backchannel and see if $7M gets us a home run hire.

But I think the reality is the job isn’t nearly as attractive as we’d like to believe. And for a coach making $4M, is another couple million worth leaving a program they’ve built, the life they’ve established there, the stability, etc. for a job in a tough conference with a fan base that has (perceived) unrealistic expectations? 

Perhaps it’s a tougher sell than maybe we’d like to admit 

Just trust your guy Slater who is the most informed insider in the business in my opinion.   He says Woodson will be fine and that age won’t be a problem just needs him 2 sharks on the bench with him.  

Well, if he gets sharks and recruits dogs, I’ll raise my antennae. That’ll be the key, almost always is. You know I’ll pay attention to see who he targets and who he lands. It’ll foretell the future.

Also, some coaches have a better eye for talent than others (not all *stars* are created equally) I hope that’s Woodson.

3 hours ago, lillurk said:

I’d really recommend the Fisch interview that quote is from. Woody’s always learning and growing as a coach, willing to admit he doesn’t know it all and adapt.

Mentions liking having interchangeable 6’6”-6’7”+ guys to switch on defense, learning to love the three, putting shooters around stars...all encouraging.

Personally, having watched IU play too many waterbug guards and too few rangy forwards for years, the size/athleticism emphasis is music to my ears. 

Agreed. Just look at last 2 national champs. Nova and UVA played 4 G/Fs, with the 2-4s being 6’5-6’9. Both had a smaller lead PG (Guy and Brunson) and both played a smallish big man (Spellman for Nova and a couple of 6’9 guys at UVA). 

Its a versatile approach that can really hum and be devastating if you can field a lengthy team with multiple creators. Also, I think it’s also easier to recruit into that type of system where you can target archetypes and mix and match strengths and weaknesses

Ok, I readily admit that I don't know what I'm talking about most of the time, but I'll take a guy who's passionate about being here over a guy who takes a job because the money was too good to pass up. I've also heard enough from people with first hand experience to believe that this man can coach and relate to players. Assistants and translating to the different landscape will be important. I think he understands that. When he said something like 'at the end of the day, it's just basketball', I thought this guy gets it. Maybe I'm the idiot I always tell my wife I am, but I think a lot of people will be eating crow when this is over.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Lunacy? Yeah, in my opinion.  

A 63 year old head coach giving college his first try.  No system in place to be an elite recruiter.  Players will have to just trust him because he can’t point to prior success.  

Ask yourself this, if any other B1G team made this hire or an equivalent hire based on all the on paper data we would fully expect it to fail.  

Doesn’t mean it will, and I hope it doesn’t. 

Not a chance in hell this "fails."  May not get another banner right away, as that is an extreemely difficult these days, but we'll compete in the big 10 and make tourney runs.  Guarantee will be at least as good as Crean and Miller, and in all likelihood way, way, way, better.   Any recruit that doesn't listen to Woody isn't smart enought to play at IU.  

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Nope. I haven’t been happy with any coach selection so far.  

1-When Crean was hired, I wanted Few or Tony Bennett

2-Miller- wanted Donovan, Bennett, or a stealing of a successful power 5 coach. 

3. Woodson- Stevens, Scott Drew, Oats, or the stealing of a succesful power 5 coach.  

I realize I’ve had my hopes too high, but if reports of 7 mil a year are true we could have aimed so much higher.  

one big plus, is the older alumni/players feel warm and cuddly about this hire.  And maybe that’s the secret sauce.  Dakich has been saying it for years. We are about to find out. 

None of those guys where ever comming.  You need a guy like Woodson to bring IU back into prominance.  

1 hour ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

Most options you listed weren’t obtainable. It’s like me saying I wish we would’ve hired Coach Spo

1. Few hasn’t left the NW in his entire life. Maybe he would’ve come for bigger $ but he was a 1st round flameout at the time  (unfair rep obviously) and who knows if he wanted a rebuild. 
And Bennett wasn’t even at UVA when Crean was hired.

2. Donovan was never coming. Bennett maybe? If he knew how good his 17-18 team could be, no chance he comes. What P5 coach then?

3. We tried to get Stevens. By all accounts, Oats wasn’t an option. Agree with you on Drew. 

So maybe we could have gotten Drew with the big $$$ offer that we seemed finally ready to make this time. 

Drew is in the final 4.  He wasn't comming, no matter what.  

Agreed. Just look at last 2 national champs. Nova and UVA played 4 G/Fs, with the 2-4s being 6’5-6’9. Both had a smaller lead PG (Guy and Brunson) and both played a smallish big man (Spellman for Nova and a couple of 6’9 guys at UVA). 
Its a versatile approach that can really hum and be devastating if you can field a lengthy team with multiple creators. Also, I think it’s also easier to recruit into that type of system where you can target archetypes and mix and match strengths and weaknesses

My first choice was Stevens, with a healthy Matta as my number 2, but I’m not so sure he’s healthy. He did well at O$U. Since we couldn’t get either of them, I will support Woody and hope he does well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 hours ago, ziggyiu said:

I'm not saying IU should or should not have taken him, but Scott Drew could win the championship this year and he still would have walked from Waco to take the job. He wanted this. 

I’ve seen no indication that that is true.  Has it ever happened before?  Would be pretty historic.  

9 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I’ve seen no indication that that is true.  Has it ever happened before?  Would be pretty historic.  

There were a lot of “rumblings” that Drew was interested in the job but Dolson did not contact him. He was initially seen as likely to have the most interest out of the Texas coaches (Drew, Beard)

Off top my head, I know Roy left Kansas after an L in the championship. Larry Brown jumped to NBA right after winning one..I want to say Pitino did the same but not certain. 

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m trying to get excited about all this and I can’t.

I mean, sure it’s a nice feel-good story, but to expect us to become elite based on this move is lunacy. We don’t have any recruiting pull based on this move. Better coaching? Seems so.

Indiana fans are so hopeful and desperate we’ll convince ourselves of anything.

I just can’t see this ending well in reality. However, I wholeheartedly wish Woodson well, sounds like a great guy.

Fully agree with you Wayne. I think it's more fans talking themselves into this hire than being excited initially.

I hope it works out but I wouldn't put my money on it, he's against the odds.  

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Only example I can think of is Johnny Majors leaving Pitt for Tennessee after winning the college football championship in 1976.