Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

9 minutes ago, Trish said:

oh have the times changed..

I always thought those Larry Brown stories came from Larry Brown. He was part of Woody’s pitch last time and he’s trying  to force his way in now.

Edited by FrenchConnection

SIAP but 247 (Rabby) has an article which gives quotes from numerous former players surrounding the Woodson hire and AJ Guyton’s quote stood out to me: “I’m excited to hear it’s a guy who understands what a winning culture is.”

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Mike-Woodson-Indiana-basketball-coach-Jared-Jeffries-Calbert-Cheaney-AJ-Guyton-Jordan-Hulls-Dane-Fife-Brian-Evans-163258436/

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m trying to get excited about all this and I can’t.

I mean, sure it’s a nice feel-good story, but to expect us to become elite based on this move is lunacy. We don’t have any recruiting pull based on this move. Better coaching? Seems so.

Indiana fans are so hopeful and desperate we’ll convince ourselves of anything.

I just can’t see this ending well in reality. However, I wholeheartedly wish Woodson well, sounds like a great guy.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

And I’m trying to see why fans can’t get excited about this. Lunacy? No recruiting pull? Seems like better coaching? Can’t see it ending well?

I get having questions. But I honestly don’t understand the intensity that some people feel this can’t work. 

Randy Quaid’s character in Major League had more optimism.

1 minute ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

I think we may get a good gauge of how good of a Day 1 recruiter Woody is based on portal movement, especially with a few of our own...

No matter how we do, we’ll convince ourselves we got the “right” guys or whatever.   If he starts recruiting like Juwan Howard I might get excited.  

6 minutes ago, Papacap said:

And I’m trying to see why fans can’t get excited about this. Lunacy? No recruiting pull? Seems like better coaching? Can’t see it ending well?

I get having questions. But I honestly don’t understand the intensity that some people feel this can’t work. 

Randy Quaid’s character in Major League had more optimism.

Lunacy? Yeah, in my opinion.  

A 63 year old head coach giving college his first try.  No system in place to be an elite recruiter.  Players will have to just trust him because he can’t point to prior success.  

Ask yourself this, if any other B1G team made this hire or an equivalent hire based on all the on paper data we would fully expect it to fail.  

Doesn’t mean it will, and I hope it doesn’t. 

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

No matter how we do, we’ll convince ourselves we got the “right” guys or whatever.   If he starts recruiting like Juwan Howard I might get excited.  

Lolz. It seems like you're the one that's already convinced yourself of something....

I can't stand how some people only care about the "stars" attached to a recruits name. Like that translates to instant success. If Woody can develop kids, I'd argue that's a hell of a lot better - see Victor Oladipo and OG Anunoby - find guys that have athleticism and an incredible work ethic and sign them up. 

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

A 63 year old head coach giving college his first try.  No system in place to be an elite recruiter.  Players will have to just trust him because he can’t point to prior success.  

Ask yourself this, if any other B1G team made this hire or an equivalent hire based on all the on paper data we would fully expect it to fail.  

No, I wouldn’t expect it to fail. It might fail. And I might think there were better options. But I wouldn’t expect it to fail. Because I don’t understand the thought that Woodson won’t be able to recruit. It’s not rocket science. It’s developing relationships. And I think Woodson will be able to do that. Am I guaranteeing it? No. But I think Woodson will be able to the type of players he wants.

The last two hires, we selected coaches that made a deep run in the tourney and had some success at their school. Worked wonders for us. Guess we should have done that again based on the paper data you referenced.

Edited by Papacap

3 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Lolz. It seems like you're the one that's already convinced yourself of something....

I can't stand how some people only care about the "stars" attached to a recruits name. Like that translates to instant success. If Woody can develop kids, I'd argue that's a hell of a lot better - see Victor Oladipo and OG Anunoby - find guys that have athleticism and an incredible work ethic and sign them up. 

I have strong opinions. I’ve been right almost universally.  I’m happy to see what Woodson can do.  I was done with Archie a year ago.  So any change is at least a chance at a better product.  

It’s not all about “stars” to me but attracting those “stars” is what ALL coaches try to do because they know it gives them the best odds of success.  The transfer market might shift the demand on the principle.  We will see. 

We definitely would have made fun of the hire. We always laugh at our opponents when we think they did worse or something we would never do. We have been wrong so often on these as well. We even thought we had the best staff in basketball when Archie started.

I don’t mind the hire even if not my top choice and I hope all this expert opinion criticism from the media fuels him towards early success. This though may require some luck in recruiting as his player development will take some time I would think.

4 minutes ago, Papacap said:

No, I wouldn’t expect it to fail. It might fail. And I might think there were better options. But I wouldn’t expect it to fail. Because I don’t understand the thought that Woodson won’t be able to recruit. It’s not rocket science. It’s developing relationships. And I think Woodson will be able to do that. Am I guaranteeing it? No. But I think Woodson will be able to the type of players he wants.

The last two hires, we selected coaches that made a deep run in the tourney and had some success at their school. Worked wonders for us. Guess we should have done that again based on the paper data you referenced.

Nope. I haven’t been happy with any coach selection so far.  

1-When Crean was hired, I wanted Few or Tony Bennett

2-Miller- wanted Donovan, Bennett, or a stealing of a successful power 5 coach. 

3. Woodson- Stevens, Scott Drew, Oats, or the stealing of a succesful power 5 coach.  

I realize I’ve had my hopes too high, but if reports of 7 mil a year are true we could have aimed so much higher.  

one big plus, is the older alumni/players feel warm and cuddly about this hire.  And maybe that’s the secret sauce.  Dakich has been saying it for years. We are about to find out. 

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

3. Woodson- Stevens, Scott Drew, Oats, or the stealing of a succesful power 5 coach.  

I realize I’ve had my hopes too high, but if reports of 7 mil a year are true we could have aimed so much higher.  

one big plus, is the older alumni/players feel warm and cuddly about this hire.  And maybe that’s the secret sauce.  Dakich has been saying it for years. We are about to find out. 

OK, if you are aiming that high, I get it the disappointment for the last 3 hires. And the beauty of it is, results will determine this, so it’s not like we won’t find out if this will work.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Most options you listed weren’t obtainable. It’s like me saying I wish we would’ve hired Coach Spo

1. Few hasn’t left the NW in his entire life. Maybe he would’ve come for bigger $ but he was a 1st round flameout at the time  (unfair rep obviously) and who knows if he wanted a rebuild. 
And Bennett wasn’t even at UVA when Crean was hired.

2. Donovan was never coming. Bennett maybe? If he knew how good his 17-18 team could be, no chance he comes. What P5 coach then?

3. We tried to get Stevens. By all accounts, Oats wasn’t an option. Agree with you on Drew. 

So maybe we could have gotten Drew with the big $$$ offer that we seemed finally ready to make this time. 

Edited by IUBBx5Banners

I will say, I got behind the Crean hire. The super slow rebuild was a huge turnoff.

Archie, I always said if he could recruit like Sean we’d have similar success. Well the FBI sting and/or the IU admin or whatever never let this come through. Even though I didn’t like the hire, I still expected better results.

We are in the tank. Woodson has the best chance to look good. Going above .500 in conference will be good enough for most. I guess that’s what I expect. Middle of the pack compared to lower third. 4 or 5 years of middle of the pack.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I will say, I got behind the Crean hire. The super slow rebuild was a huge turnoff.

Archie, I always said if he could recruit like Sean we’d have similar success. Well the FBI sting and/or the IU admin or whatever never let this come through. Even though I didn’t like the hire, I still expected better results.

We are in the tank. Woodson has the best chance to look good. Going above .500 in conference will be good enough for most. I guess that’s what I expect. Middle of the pack compared to lower third. 4 or 5 years of middle of the pack.

Your done being a super fan though right? This hire put the nail in the coffin if i remember right.   Turned you into fair weather fan.    I don’t believe it though.  I think you will be here day 1 next year hanging  on every play and hoping for the best 

Most options you listed weren’t obtainable. It’s like me saying I wish we would’ve hired Coach Spo

1. Few hasn’t left the NW in his entire life. Maybe he would’ve come for bigger $ but he was a 1st round flameout at the time  (unfair rep obviously) and who knows if he wanted a rebuild. 

And Bennett wasn’t even at UVA when Crean was hired.

2. Donovan was never coming. Bennett maybe? If he knew how good his 17-18 team could be, no chance he comes. What P5 coach then?

3. We tried to get Stevens. By all accounts, Oats wasn’t an option. Agree with you on Drew. 

So maybe we could have gotten Drew with the big $$$ offer that we seemed finally ready to make this time. 

I’ll never be convinced that doubling someone’s salary doesn’t bring us an elite coach (any coach will listen to 7 mil a year). Indiana has made the decision to find the diamond in the rough.

The Crean and Miller hire both made enough sense if you are trying to find the next up and comer. There’s an inherent risk in raising the level.

We’ve yet to “steal a coach” and flex our muscles on a coach that’s been successful at the level we are trying to win at.

I agree with you, they only appeared ready to spend for this hire. But were they? We supposedly go after Stevens at 7mil then drop off to option B back at the dollar amount they feel good about? Then of all the coaches they could contact, we contact Holtmann?? It’s crazy.

I think it was always going to be an Indiana guy on this hire. It’s been the mantra for years from the talking heads. Hope they are right.

Your done being a super fan though right? This hire put the nail in the coffin if i remember right.   Turned you into fair weather fan.    I don’t believe it though.  I think you will be here day 1 next year hanging  on every play and hoping for the best 

I’ll always hope for the best. It would be a cool underdog story like Tom Allen. But if the results go the way I expect, I’ll quickly adjust my dedication. I’ve been a Cubs fan my whole life. I know how to come into a season strong and save myself a bunch of time when the writing is on the wall. Hope I’m pleasantly surprised.