Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

6 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I am concerned we lose Franklin , Lander and coach Hunter to Louisville.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

All three to Louisville? Cuz that would be one hell of a steal by them and frankly it would make me want to add them to the schedule immediately.

6 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I am concerned we lose Franklin , Lander and coach Hunter to Louisville.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Isn't Louisville up for some discipline?  Wasn't that why the Chris Mack rumors started?  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Woodson doesn't look 70 to me

Never said “look” - I said “seems.” I’ve seen people come out of a wisdom tooth extraction with more energy. And the contrast between him and others thought to maybe be in the mix - Musselman, for example - is striking in that regard. 

Again, maybe it works. I don’t know. But that’s the concern for me right now. 

Edited by Nonymouse

Coach Woodson is looking for that team with echos of: George McGinnis; Joby Wirght; Calbert Cheaney; Dick Van Arsdale; Walt Bellamy; Isiah Thomas; Scott May; Steve Alford; Randy Wittman; Jared Jeffries; Quinn Buckner; and all of the Indiana University basketball team members.  Make it so.

I arrived, as a freshman, in 1969.  It was far out back then.  Basketball in the old fieldhouse. Football was big. and Basketball was bigger!  

I wish Coach Woodson great success.

1 hour ago, jmsgws said:

The one thing that throws a wrench into your entire train of thought, is that RMK was not an IU guy.  Until he was....  

The whole debacle that has been IU basketball for 20 years now, is not that RMK left.  It was the way he was let go.  If IU, and RMK, had handled the situation better we probably would have been closer to UNC.  They had one failure after Dean left.  The person following an icon is probably not going to succeed.  

I would say it is 50-50 at best that Woodson succeeds.  I truly hope he does, but it will not have much to do with him being an IU player at one time.  

I am in the same fan boat as you.  Started to know what basketball was in the early 70's.  Graduated IU in 87.  

Well, they had another massive failure under Roy too. WAY WORSE THAN WHAT KELVIN DID, but just did not get punished so that helps.

Apologies for the rant and getting off topic but few things piss me off like Roy getting away for bull**** classes.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I will try to explain why I think having an IU guy is the right thing at this time.  First I am not saying this to condemn anyone or blame anyone who might not understand this.  I know people who did not grow up in Indiana or is a lot younger than did not see what IU meant when RMK was the coach.  I grew up in in Central Indiana in the late 70's and 80's which meant watching IU on our local channel 4 in Indy.  Since it was a locally owned TV station it produced its own game which meant IU announcers.  Those announcers were former players in John Laskowski and later Ted Kitchell.  Back then they played games on Thursday night and Saturday and it was easy to keep up with the schedule.  You know when you had to find your 2 and half hours time to watch the game plus the pre game show with RMK.  RMK would have about a 12 minute segment to explain what the team was going to do against this opponent and it taught IU fans the game.  Not to mention Martha the Mop Lady and the Farm Bureau Insurance commercials.

All of this made IU like your own family and would do anything to support that family  I know when you are younger that everything seems more important everything was such a big deal.  This is what IU basketball felt like to me and that I felt part of it.  You also always saw former players at the game and they were welcome back anytime they wanted.

After RMK was let go I was all for letting someone else come in and try to bring IU back to where it was use to be.  We brought in outside guys who had proven to win at the level they were at.  They made deep runs in the tournament so they seemed like great hires but there was always something missing to them.  We have done this for 20 years and it never totally panned out and here we are 20 years later trying to get IU back to what we use to be.  Everyone say they want IU back to what it once was and to me it is time to bring back a guy who was part of what IU use to be.

Same era and memories for me as well watching on old channel 4.  I graduated high school in 1990 and believe we were the last of kids playing outside in the 70's and 80's, before technology took over.

Although I love RMK, it was his time to go with early tourney losses to Richmond, Pepperdine, and the continuous one and done in the NCAA.  I don't care who, what, when, where, why, and how we get there (deep Tourney runs) as long as we start getting there again.