Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He said on Dakichs show that he had put his name in the hat before. I wonder which coaching search that was for. 

I think it was in 2017 when we hired Archie. I think Coach Woodson pushed for him with Larry Brown as an assistant. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think it was in 2017 when we hired Archie. I think Coach Woodson pushed for him with Larry Brown as an assistant. 

Yes it was. He came to town to talk to Bill Cook about putting in a good word for him. But Fred wasn't taking calls from anyone at that time. 

One of the most important things I heard throughout his media day yesterday was something on the lines that he didn't have an ego when it comes to basketball.  He's always learning and wants to surround himself with people that will help him.  

Hope this works.  Congrats Coach Woodson.  

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This 26 year old had a few tears in his eyes, lol.

I hated the idea when I first saw him mentioned as a candidate. I really hated it. I wanted a big name coach and I was very adamant about that. But now I'm all in on Coach Woodson. Seeing someone who loves IU basketball like I do as the new head coach was really cool. It's not just another job that happens to pay more than his last job for him. It's his dream job, and I know he's going to do everything he can to get the program back to where we all want it to be. 

I’m 27 and I feel the exact same way. I honestly started getting a little choked up when I watched his press conference. It’s really exciting seeing a head coach who makes it obvious how much IU means to them. 

Coach Woodson seems to be a well-respected leader, a thoughtful person who gets it, a sensitive friend and proponent of the extended family, a lover of all things basketball especially Indiana, and a focused coach of young adults and men.  He seems serious and will draw the line about certain things.  And the players and everyone else will clearly know where that line is drawn.  But, of course, that is the impression the university and Coach Woodson are trying to get out to us.

During the press conference, Coach Woodson was being extremely careful to stress certain things.  He wanted the message to be clear.  And he was overwhelmed at times because of all the emotions, the memories, and the thoughts.  

These next few months are so vitally important.  Getting the right staff, making connections with all of the players individually and then as a team, getting to know Thad Matta and AD Dolson, the NCAA from a coaching perspective, prospective recruits, transfers, moving those pieces around on the multi-dimensional chessboard...

IU basketball was great before RMK, during, and will be great afterwards.  The new coach has arrived.  Bring it!

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I would have never guessed you were a student. Seem older than a student from your post. :-)

I'm not, kid is.  Rumor was something about FIJI told Sigma Chi, told a couple of his buddies that Ferris past out at 31 flavors last night.  :) 

55 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

Something I couldn’t get past watching the games last night after the presser yesterday: 

Kelvin is 65 and seems 55. Woodson is 63 and seems 70. I’m happy for Woodson and I hope it works - I haven’t really figured out how I feel about it and I still don’t fully understand it - but the age thing is tripping me up. 

disagree.  Sampson look like he shuffles along the sideline in velcro shoes.  Woodson looks late 50s, no grey in that beard.  

11 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I’m 27 and I feel the exact same way. I honestly started getting a little choked up when I watched his press conference. It’s really exciting seeing a head coach who makes it obvious how much IU means to them. 

I like seeing people who have a passion for their job and are happy to be here.

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It's not just another job that happens to pay more than his last job for him. It's his dream job, and I know he's going to do everything he can to get the program back to where we all want it to be. 

And I'm going to give him more than 2-3 years before I even remotely get antsy if things don't start out well for him. Cause I know in the long run we'll get back to an upper tier, maybe even elite status again. 

(I doubt if we have to wait nearly that long. I say year 2 we'll be competing for Big Ten title)