Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I will try to explain why I think having an IU guy is the right thing at this time.  First I am not saying this to condemn anyone or blame anyone who might not understand this.  I know people who did not grow up in Indiana or is a lot younger than did not see what IU meant when RMK was the coach.  I grew up in in Central Indiana in the late 70's and 80's which meant watching IU on our local channel 4 in Indy.  Since it was a locally owned TV station it produced its own game which meant IU announcers.  Those

Excellent post Scott, you and I must be about the same age.  Oh, how I miss the games being on channel 4 with pre and post games, and let's not forget the Sunday morning coaches show, dad and I rarely missed one. 

1 minute ago, HoosierTownie said:

Excellent post Scott, you and I must be about the same age.  Oh, how I miss the games being on channel 4 with pre and post games, and let's not forget the Sunday morning coaches show, dad and I rarely missed one. 

I am 50 and yes I remember the Sunday morning shows and after losses they were not as much fun

Something I couldn’t get past watching the games last night after the presser yesterday: 

Kelvin is 65 and seems 55. Woodson is 63 and seems 70. I’m happy for Woodson and I hope it works - I haven’t really figured out how I feel about it and I still don’t fully understand it - but the age thing is tripping me up. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am 50 and yes I remember the Sunday morning shows and after losses they were not as much fun

51 here, and yes, Knight could be a little salty after a loss, especially considering, if I remember right, they were taped shortly after the Saturday game ended.

1 minute ago, Nonymouse said:

Something I couldn’t get past watching the games last night after the presser yesterday: 

Kelvin is 65 and seems 55. Woodson is 63 and seems 70. I’m happy for Woodson and I hope it works - I haven’t really figured out how I feel about it and I still don’t fully understand it - but the age thing is tripping me up. 

The time to have hired him was exactly when Sampson was fired and no one decent wanted the job.  He's too old now but Dolson made his choice. 

3 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

I think Coach Woodson only seemed 70 yesterday because of how slow he was talking. I've watched videos of him coaching and that's not at all how he is when he's at practice and the like. I think yesterday he was just nervous about saying the wrong thing so he was trying to think about what he said before he said it. Maybe that's how he always talks now, idk, but it wasn't a few years ago at least. 

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I will try to explain why I think having an IU guy is the right thing at this time.  First I am not saying this to condemn anyone or blame anyone who might not understand this.  I know people who did not grow up in Indiana or is a lot younger than did not see what IU meant when RMK was the coach.  I grew up in in Central Indiana in the late 70's and 80's which meant watching IU on our local channel 4 in Indy.  Since it was a locally owned TV station it produced its own game which meant IU announcers.  Those announcers were former players in John Laskowski and later Ted Kitchell.  Back then they played games on Thursday night and Saturday and it was easy to keep up with the schedule.  You know when you had to find your 2 and half hours time to watch the game plus the pre game show with RMK.  RMK would have about a 12 minute segment to explain what the team was going to do against this opponent and it taught IU fans the game.  Not to mention Martha the Mop Lady and the Farm Bureau Insurance commercials.

All of this made IU like your own family and would do anything to support that family  I know when you are younger that everything seems more important everything was such a big deal.  This is what IU basketball felt like to me and that I felt part of it.  You also always saw former players at the game and they were welcome back anytime they wanted.

After RMK was let go I was all for letting someone else come in and try to bring IU back to where it was use to be.  We brought in outside guys who had proven to win at the level they were at.  They made deep runs in the tournament so they seemed like great hires but there was always something missing to them.  We have done this for 20 years and it never totally panned out and here we are 20 years later trying to get IU back to what we use to be.  Everyone say they want IU back to what it once was and to me it is time to bring back a guy who was part of what IU use to be.

The one thing that throws a wrench into your entire train of thought, is that RMK was not an IU guy.  Until he was....  

The whole debacle that has been IU basketball for 20 years now, is not that RMK left.  It was the way he was let go.  If IU, and RMK, had handled the situation better we probably would have been closer to UNC.  They had one failure after Dean left.  The person following an icon is probably not going to succeed.  

I would say it is 50-50 at best that Woodson succeeds.  I truly hope he does, but it will not have much to do with him being an IU player at one time.  

I am in the same fan boat as you.  Started to know what basketball was in the early 70's.  Graduated IU in 87.  

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

I think people are confusing his relatively calm/soft spoken demeanor with the media to being old. Woodson seems completely different in practice vs how he is in front of the media. Not to mention he had literally gotten on a plane the night before to fly into Bloomington and had probably barely slept. 

And not ONCE did he say "uhhhh", "ummm", or anything close to that. Guy is class thru and thru.

11 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

The one thing that throws a wrench into your entire train of thought, is that RMK was not an IU guy.  Until he was....  

The whole debacle that has been IU basketball for 20 years now, is not that RMK left.  It was the way he was let go.  If IU, and RMK, had handled the situation better we probably would have been closer to UNC.  They had one failure after Dean left.  The person following an icon is probably not going to succeed.  

I would say it is 50-50 at best that Woodson succeeds.  I truly hope he does, but it will not have much to do with him being an IU player at one time.  

I am in the same fan boat as you.  Started to know what basketball was in the early 70's.  Graduated IU in 87.  

RMK made this generation of IU basketball and that is the culture I am talking about

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This 26 year old had a few tears in his eyes, lol.

I hated the idea when I first saw him mentioned as a candidate. I really hated it. I wanted a big name coach and I was very adamant about that. But now I'm all in on Coach Woodson. Seeing someone who loves IU basketball like I do as the new head coach was really cool. It's not just another job that happens to pay more than his last job for him. It's his dream job, and I know he's going to do everything he can to get the program back to where we all want it to be. 

If Woodson and Dolson can bring back the old school jersey's full time, I'll start to buy in more.

I need to see who the staff is, who Woody can convince to stay and come via portal, and recruiting this summer. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This 26 year old had a few tears in his eyes, lol.

I hated the idea when I first saw him mentioned as a candidate. I really hated it. I wanted a big name coach and I was very adamant about that. But now I'm all in on Coach Woodson. Seeing someone who loves IU basketball like I do as the new head coach was really cool. It's not just another job that happens to pay more than his last job for him. It's his dream job, and I know he's going to do everything he can to get the program back to where we all want it to be. 

He said on Dakichs show that he had put his name in the hat before. I wonder which coaching search that was for. 

2 minutes ago, Trish said:

If Woodson and Dolson can bring back the old school jersey's full time, I'll start to buy in more.

I need to see who the staff is, who Woody can convince to stay and come via portal, and recruiting this summer. 

I want the jerseys they had during the Zeller/Oladipo years. The jerseys we've had the past few years are trash. The tops don't even match up with the shorts. 

Hopefully we find out about the assistants and the current players here soon. After the past few days I'm in need of more IU information to keep the high going, lol. 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He said on Dakichs show that he had put his name in the hat before. I wonder which coaching search that was for. 

He did when Archie was hired for sure. Not sure about the others.