Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Yeah I agree with that, I remember Gelon’s family talking about Archie basically trying to do everything he could to make Gelon leave, even threatening to allow him to keep his scholarship but be off the basketball team.

hence my understanding you can’t just take away a player’s scholarship.

They can stay on scholarship but the roster spot is not guaranteed.  How many basketball players will give up basketball and stay at the school to finish their degree.

I would imagine today or tomorrow we will start hearing about player decisions, then late this week/early next week for assistant hires. Worried about losing Franklin and Kenya Hunter to Louisville, but they have some major issues so who knows. I think these guys are gonna really like Coach Woodson.

Just now, Golfman25 said:

Student rumor is TJD may be staying.  

Before Coach was announced I thought the smart money was on him returning, now I am very very confident. He should put his name in the draft and get some feedback, comeback and get in the gym working on that jump shot and hitting the weight room. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

To me TJD could be the player to benefit the most from having mike as the new coach  TJD has to develop his game a lot before being able to play in the NBA.  Who better to develop you than a coach who has been in the NBA  for over 30 years.

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

He took my advice.

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

But for the fact he has two kids, ok.  

Two kids?

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I mean it makes sense, I would be shocked if he's NBA bound. He just isn't even close to NBA level right now. So I think the two most likely scenarios are him staying or transferring. I am sure he'll put his name in the draft to get feedback, but he still hasn't put his name in the portal and seems relatively behind the Woodson hire early on.

Just now, IU Scott said:

To me TJD could be the player to benefit the most from having mike as the new coach  TJD has to develop his game a lot before being able to play in the NBA.  Who better to develop you than a coach who has been in the NBA  for over 30 years.

TJD probably has the most to gain, but there are a lot of players on the roster that could really benefit. Franklin, Lander, and Hunter are ones that jump to the front of my mind.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I grew up in in Central Indiana in the late 70's and 80's which meant watching IU on our local channel 4 in Indy.  Since it was a locally owned TV station it produced its own game which meant IU announcers.  Those announcers were former players in John Laskowski and later Ted Kitchell.

You left out the legendary Hilliard Gates and Chuck Marlowe. Chuck could make so many mistakes it went beyond comical to sad (he used to get player names confused at times: Scott Benson, John Buckner, etc). The production from the low budget WTTV left a lot to be desired at times. Sometimes when there would be a problem with the broadcast, we used to joke that "Chuck must have tripped over the extension cord again!"

Just now, T White said:

You left out the legendary Hilliard Gates and Chuck Marlowe. Chuck could make so many mistakes it went beyond comical to sad (he used to get player names confused at times: Scott Benson, John Buckner, etc). The production from the low budget WTTV left a lot to be desired at times. Sometimes when there would be a problem with the broadcast, we used to joke that "Chuck must have tripped over the extension cord again!"

"Pat Graham with the basket, check that, Greg Graham with the basket". I used to laugh every time I heard check that. The Graham's weren't even the same color and poor Chuck would mess that up. 

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I will try to explain why I think having an IU guy is the right thing at this time.  First I am not saying this to condemn anyone or blame anyone who might not understand this.  I know people who did not grow up in Indiana or is a lot younger than did not see what IU meant when RMK was the coach.  I grew up in in Central Indiana in the late 70's and 80's which meant watching IU on our local channel 4 in Indy.  Since it was a locally owned TV station it produced its own game which meant IU announcers.  Those announcers were former players in John Laskowski and later Ted Kitchell.  Back then they played games on Thursday night and Saturday and it was easy to keep up with the schedule.  You know when you had to find your 2 and half hours time to watch the game plus the pre game show with RMK.  RMK would have about a 12 minute segment to explain what the team was going to do against this opponent and it taught IU fans the game.  Not to mention Martha the Mop Lady and the Farm Bureau Insurance commercials.

All of this made IU like your own family and would do anything to support that family  I know when you are younger that everything seems more important everything was such a big deal.  This is what IU basketball felt like to me and that I felt part of it.  You also always saw former players at the game and they were welcome back anytime they wanted.

After RMK was let go I was all for letting someone else come in and try to bring IU back to where it was use to be.  We brought in outside guys who had proven to win at the level they were at.  They made deep runs in the tournament so they seemed like great hires but there was always something missing to them.  We have done this for 20 years and it never totally panned out and here we are 20 years later trying to get IU back to what we use to be.  Everyone say they want IU back to what it once was and to me it is time to bring back a guy who was part of what IU use to be.

Also, I remember 30 min pre and post game shows, and both would be aired on channel 4 even if the game was on CBS or ESPN

Just now, PB1230 said:

Also, I remember 30 min pre and post game shows, and both would be aired on channel 4 even if the game was on CBS or ESPN

It just seemed more like a family atmosphere back then.  Today it is either a BTN announcer or a national announcer and it just makes the feeling of the game different.  Back then it felt like an honor to have your game on national TV and get the perspective of you team on a national scene.

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

"Pat Graham with the basket, check that, Greg Graham with the basket". I used to laugh every time I heard check that. The Graham's weren't even the same color and poor Chuck would mess that up. 

Getting off topic here, but.....

Do you remember when a local radio station did a parody on him and Laz? I think it was called "Buck Marlowe in the 21st Century with his loyal pal Laz". For his mistakes he got busted down from interplanetary explorer to working the "Space traffic cop" sort of beat. "Well Laz, we're right on course to make it home and....Check that Laz, we're about a million miles off course.... I have no idea where we are!"

Edited by T White