Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Just now, Hoosierfan222 said:

Not at Indiana it's not, it's a four-year commitment. 

If you are talking about the commitment to pay for any players 4 yr education even after they have left the school, that's true.

The interesting dynamic is how it would play out and the optics if a player said I am taking myself out of the portal and Woodson said, not so fast.

This talk about entering & withdrawing from the portal is best solved by what was earlier posted: set a deadline.  If a player says he likes CMW but wants to think about it, cut 'em loose.  That is not being fully on-board.

5 minutes ago, kottke said:

I don’t believe it’s a four year athletic scholarship commitment.

I thought that was what happened with Gelon, no? Archie was trying to get him to transfer because he couldn’t just take away his scholarship

7 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

This talk about entering & withdrawing from the portal is best solved by what was earlier posted: set a deadline.  If a player says he likes CMW but wants to think about it, cut 'em loose.  That is not being fully on-board.

I agree. I'm sure we will. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

I thought that was what happened with Gelon, no? Archie was trying to get him to transfer because he couldn’t just take away his scholarship

Scholarships have always technically been year to year, but to yank a player in good standing's scholarship when he didn't agree to leave would be committing recruiting suicide.

This is from the IU Student-Athlete Bill of Rights in 2014. Not exactly sure what happens, though, when a player enters the transfer portal. I don't know if this was amended after that or not. 

IU Athletics is also making a Four Year Scholarship Commitment to every full head count scholarship student-athlete regardless of sport entering Indiana University to ensure that they have the time needed to earn an undergraduate degree. No athletic scholarship will be reduced because of injury, illness, physical or mental condition, or on the basis of a student-athlete's ability, performance or contribution to the team's success. 

5 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Scholarships have always technically been year to year, but to yank a player in good standing's scholarship when he didn't agree to leave would be committing recruiting suicide.

Yeah I agree with that, I remember Gelon’s family talking about Archie basically trying to do everything he could to make Gelon leave, even threatening to allow him to keep his scholarship but be off the basketball team.

hence my understanding you can’t just take away a player’s scholarship.

7 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

This happens like daily. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

This is from the IU Student-Athlete Bill of Rights in 2014. Not exactly sure what happens, though, when a player enters the transfer portal. I don't know if this was amended after that or not. 

IU Athletics is also making a Four Year Scholarship Commitment to every full head count scholarship student-athlete regardless of sport entering Indiana University to ensure that they have the time needed to earn an undergraduate degree. No athletic scholarship will be reduced because of injury, illness, physical or mental condition, or on the basis of a student-athlete's ability, performance or contribution to the team's success. 

It isn't a 4 year guarantee that they are part of the team. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Student bill of rights guarantees them a scholarship, but it doesn’t guarantee them a spot on the basketball team, and their scholarship no longer counts against the # allowed if they’re removed. If Coach Woodson doesn’t want a kid on the team he can yank his scholarship and it won’t count against the #. The kid would still have a scholarship to attend IU, but it wouldn’t be a basketball scholarship. 

Thank you

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Why couldn't Hunter be the stretch 4?

He could, but I would like to have some competition for that spot.  I think the team has gotten used to the idea that these 5 guys are the starters and will remain that way barring injuries for the rest of the year.

The Miller model of running a team is dead, I want to throw as much dirt on it as possible.  Competition for positions is a very good thing.

That was because of APR issues.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk