Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Just now, Gnet550 said:

this doesn’t look bad either

I think he tests the NBA draft waters (as he should) but I would be surprised if he isn't back. Lots of mock drafts had him as a mid 2nd rounder before the season. He's fallen out of the top 60. A third year makes sense. Play for a former NBA coach, get your degree in three years, and improve your draft stock. If he develops a nice mid range shot he gets drafted. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I would be stunned if he left. The NBA style Woodson is bringing has to be music to his ears. I'm not as high on KL as his ranking suggests but I think he is the starting PG next year. I'd like this line up:

1 Lander

2 Franklin

3 Stewart

4 Stretch 4 Transfer that can shoot it (basically Justin Smith at Arkansas)

5 TJD

Galloway, Leal, Hunter, Duncomb off the bench. Brunk and Phinisee stay, but I don't think they fit with the style Mike is talking about. If one of Lander, Stewart, or Franklin leave I'd like to see a CG transfer that can shoot it. 

Assuming Race is gone?

I am kind of worried Armaan could leave. Really want him back but he's going to be hearing from just about every school in the country. Woodson's recruiting skills are going to be tested early.

5 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think Woodson only plays one big the majority of the time. He won't play as much for Woodson in my opinion. Sounds like he wants to play close to home assuming he has a year left. My only thing about Franklin is he and his mom act like they are all about IU. If that's true-he stays. Obviously I'm not a player but hearing about Mike Woodson's style vs. Archie Miller's style this should be music to their ears. Probably will get flack for this comment but part of me hopes Woodson gave them a deadline. Meaning by a certain date they are either in or out. I know Archie recruited them but they committed to play at IU. Woodson gave his pitch. They are either in or out. 

I can see that to a certain extent. At the end of the day, if you’re not staying Woodson has to be out recruiting guards. Hopefully we hear of some guys coming back in the next few days. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Matta has a much better resume than Porkchop’s, imho. 5 conference titles to Painter’s 3. Four conference tournament titles to Painter’s 1. 2 final fours to Painter’s 0 (lol). He won 73% of his games at OSU compared to 66% for Painter at Purdue.

Anyway, didn’t say this to disagree with you. Just that Painter is considered one of the most coaches in the conference and we now have someone better on our staff. Matta’s back might be messed up but his mind isn’t. 

I agree with you.  That was my point.   Exactly, as a matter of fact.

14 minutes ago, J_Smiff said:

Just stumbled across this post from J.R. Smith: https://www.instagram.com/p/CM-gVR7B7Wg/

Among the comments are Bradley Beal, Kenyon Martin, Quentin Richardson, Stephen Jackson – liked by Chris Paul. Hard to understate how loved Woody is and how valuable these relationships will be for us.

Sacramento Kings player development coach, former NFL WR victor cruz, and Austin Hutcherson (Illinois player) liked or commented on it too. 

ok @Stuhoo I was dead wrong the other day haha

4 hours ago, J_Smiff said:

Just stumbled across this post from J.R. Smith: https://www.instagram.com/p/CM-gVR7B7Wg/

Among the comments are Bradley Beal, Kenyon Martin, Quentin Richardson, Stephen Jackson – liked by Chris Paul. Hard to understate how loved Woody is and how valuable these relationships will be for us.

411B1E34-60DA-4C38-B588-D840B2AEB614.thumb.jpeg.2ad1b631f542f3c32f4978005658315a.jpeg

Kids today don’t know Bradley Beal... Lol. Just kidding.

Heck, let’s even say none of these relationships will matter (which I don’t believe). All these guys like Coach Woodson for a reason. If he was able to get pretty much everyone in the NBA to like him it seems, he’s not going to have any trouble getting college recruits to like him either. 

5 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

I barely had time to comment on this hire since I was out of town when the news dropped, so apologies for laying my random thoughts 98 pages into the convo...

I think this is a good (enough) hire given the circumstances, and those circumstances are it wasn’t going to be Brad Stevens and there’s no other sure thing out there at the moment. I’m not concerned that Coach Woodson has never recruited or coached in college. If it was another HC with a similar background that would concern me, but between his NBA ties and love for Indiana, I think he’s going to be ok on the recruiting trail. Half of what I see in college basketball is so lacking today that at this point I’d settle for someone who just knows how to play basketball...

More than anything, I think Woodson is going to connect with players’ parents. It really feels like an adult is in the room now who can show these kids a different side of things compared to so many sleazy coaches out there, and that may go a long way in recruiting. I’m not concerned that he isn’t “Penny Hardaway” or “Juwan Howard.” Their parents will know who he is and if the parents are willing to listen, that’s half the battle already. 

I agree with others who said his assistants are going to be crucial, and Matta coming is huge. That lessened my concerns a lot over this hire. Matta is another accomplished voice in the room and has a ton of connections throughout the region. I guess he’s doing what Urban Meyer did for OSU football after stepping down? He also may be able to step in in a pinch if this doesn’t work out a la Barry Alvarez. It’s reassuring to see our AD craft out a new role in the administration specifically dedicated to MBball’s matters. 

From what I’m seeing, we’re going to have a fair amount of attention from the “inside” basketball world. Think Dwyane Wade supporting IU but on a larger scale. Woodson is very close with a good portion of the NBA and will also get more former Hoosiers around the program, and not just for halftime anniversary honors. One thing that’s certain is our players are going to know what Indiana basketball means and feel like they’re part of a continuing legacy.

This isn’t a home run hire because home run hires are rare, but like I said earlier, this is good enough given the circumstances. I’d assume that the biggest reason some were upset about this hire is because (besides it not being Stevens) it isn’t a long term solution. Mike Woodson will in all likelihood not be coaching here within ten years. He’s not the next Bobby Knight  or Coach K. He’s also not a seasoned veteran college coach. But he brings gravitas to this role and will help the program from spiraling the drain, and that’s ok for now. We don’t need a long term solution, just a solution. 

And depending on who CMW gets on his staff, that associate coach could be groomed to be our long term solution!

59 minutes ago, hoosierfan6157 said:

And depending on who CMW gets on his staff, that associate coach could be groomed to be our long term solution!

I pray this isn't the case. 

8 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I would be stunned if he left. The NBA style Woodson is bringing has to be music to his ears. I'm not as high on KL as his ranking suggests but I think he is the starting PG next year. I'd like this line up:

1 Lander

2 Franklin

3 Stewart

4 Stretch 4 Transfer that can shoot it (basically Justin Smith at Arkansas)

5 TJD

Galloway, Leal, Hunter, Duncomb off the bench. Brunk and Phinisee stay, but I don't think they fit with the style Mike is talking about. If one of Lander, Stewart, or Franklin leave I'd like to see a CG transfer that can shoot it. 

I'd like to see them go after Tre Mitchell. I think IU recruited him. He can shoot the three ball. 

That kid we were looking at from Furman who is in the transfer portal would fit that role it seems like....Noah Gurley.

51 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Coach Crean had Dwyane Wade. Coach Woodson has the whole league!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Everyone loves Woodson as a human being. Hell the same could be said for Crean, he was always kind to me and there's countless stories of him doing good things to random people throughout Bloomington. 

We'll see if Woody can coach and recruit at a final four level at Indiana!