Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

50 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

Right but I’ve seen multiple posts about how his mind is gone. I’m just saying they wouldn’t bring him in to be a mascot 

He could wear a bison suit and dodge all the flags during the "Greatest Timeout in College Basketball" in his little rascal scooter...

Hey, Bow.
At the risk of someone changing my answer spending 4 years blabbing about things I didn't say just so he can follow me around like a child and criticize me like he has nothing better to do....
I like it.   I talked to a friend last night who is very close to Butch Carter and by proxy Mike Woodson, and I know the IU basketball "family" is behind it.  That matters to me.  Woodson wants the job and won''t listen to any of the exterior BS.  He's not afraid of the task at hand, believes in player development and local recruiting.   I like all of that.   Archie wasn't willing to work a room or really change anything.   Woodson will be.
 If you take the names off the resumes, I love Matta and would stack his resume against, say Matt Painter's.    Woodson has 20+ years of NBA experience with teams that got better when he was the head coach.  Players  respect him and like him.  That matters.   A reality?  I wanted Brad Stevens.  He was the holy grail.   But on second thought and looking at it after stepping back, he really hasn't done anything Woodson hasn't done save coach in college successfully for a short time.   
Woodson played at Broad Ripple, played at Indiana, and played in the NBA for 10 years.  That will resonate w kids whether they have heard of him or not.   He may be the most under-rated player in the history of the Big Ten.  He was a 2000 point scorer in only 114 games at Indiana.   He was Big Ten player of the year having played just FIVE Big Ten games his senior year.   As Dakich said today, Woodson has dealt with the egos of Carmelo Anthony and Blake Griffin.  He can handle players' mommies.  The minutiae won't bother him.  Matta will help him with the ins and outs of running a college basketball program; and I think that combo will really be fun.
My opinion?  I think Indiana - shown by Matta w Woodson, are getting back to their own culture (no longer running it like a mid major), and at the same time, running IU men's basketball like a top tier basketball program for the first time in 21 years.   I see a whole lot of questioning and doubt above; and I had it too at first reaction.    Having had some time to think about it, I really like it and think he deserves this shot.  The "family" will now be united and that can do nothing but help.    
Edit :  Bob Kravitz doesn't like it which means I love it.    He and so many others are so damned unable to look beneath the surface.  Why journalism guys like he and Zac Osterman (whose experience is playing Madden and NCAA Basketball on XBox) are asked for their input on sports.   I digress..

Thank you old friend! I knew you wouldn’t let me down.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Hey, Bow.

At the risk of someone changing my answer spending 4 years blabbing about things I didn't say just so he can follow me around like a child and criticize me like he has nothing better to do....

I like it.   I talked to a friend last night who is very close to Butch Carter and by proxy Mike Woodson, and I know the IU basketball "family" is behind it.  That matters to me.  Woodson wants the job and won''t listen to any of the exterior BS.  He's not afraid of the task at hand, believes in player development and local recruiting.   I like all of that.   Archie wasn't willing to work a room or really change anything.   Woodson will be.

If you take the names off the resumes, I love Matta and would stack his resume against, say Matt Painter's.    Woodson has 20+ years of NBA experience with teams that got better when he was the head coach.  Players  respect him and like him.  That matters.   A reality?  I wanted Brad Stevens.  He was the holy grail.   But on second thought and looking at it after stepping back, he really hasn't done anything Woodson hasn't done save coach in college successfully for a short time.   

Woodson played at Broad Ripple, played at Indiana, and played in the NBA for 10 years.  That will resonate w kids whether they have heard of him or not.   He may be the most under-rated player in the history of the Big Ten.  He was a 2000 point scorer in only 114 games at Indiana.   He was Big Ten player of the year having played just FIVE Big Ten games his senior year.   As Dakich said today, Woodson has dealt with the egos of Carmelo Anthony and Blake Griffin.  He can handle players' mommies.  The minutiae won't bother him.  Matta will help him with the ins and outs of running a college basketball program; and I think that combo will really be fun.

My opinion?  I think Indiana - shown by Matta w Woodson, are getting back to their own culture (no longer running it like a mid major), and at the same time, running IU men's basketball like a top tier basketball program for the first time in 21 years.   I see a whole lot of questioning and doubt above; and I had it too at first reaction.    Having had some time to think about it, I really like it and think he deserves this shot.  The "family" will now be united and that can do nothing but help.    

Edit :  Bob Kravitz doesn't like it which means I love it.    He and so many others are so damned unable to look beneath the surface.  Why journalism guys like he and Zac Osterman (whose experience is playing Madden and NCAA Basketball on XBox) are asked for their input on sports.   I digress..

What are you talking about, you know nothing :103: lol. Just kidding and great take!

6 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Hey, Bow.

Matta has a much better resume than Porkchop’s, imho. 5 conference titles to Painter’s 3. Four conference tournament titles to Painter’s 1. 2 final fours to Painter’s 0 (lol). He won 73% of his games at OSU compared to 66% for Painter at Purdue.

Anyway, didn’t say this to disagree with you. Just that Painter is considered one of the most coaches in the conference and we now have someone better on our staff. Matta’s back might be messed up but his mind isn’t. 

I was originally not happy with the hire. It was Brad Stevens or a hot name for me. After watching the press conference and Dakich today, I have changed my mind. I am on the Woody train.
I know Dakich annoys us sometimes, but this is a great guy to have on our side. He is a voice,not only in Indiana, but on ESPN, especially during college basketball season. Coach Woodson has my full support! He is way more qualified
Than I ever could have dreamed and I am embarrassed for not wanting him to get the job.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Didn't care for Dakich basically taking a dump on Matta

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

Didn't care for Dakich basically taking a dump on Matta

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

That chapped my a$$, too. 

Dolson basically said Woodson asked him for resources to help him in adjusting to coaching college ball. Can't imagine a better resource than Thad Matta. Is Dakich butthurt because Matta got the gig and he wasn't considered -- especially since Matta's not an "IU guy?" I think he -- and we all -- should be thrilled Matta agreed to take on that role. I can't see any downside to it. 

12 minutes ago, BTOWN said:

Khristian's last few twitter likes are looking promising.

I really want to see this kid reach his full potential at IU.

120272069_ScreenShot2021-03-29at10_22_22PM.thumb.png.003b19b0413103c5fa8db6989e47c7e0.png

I would be stunned if he left. The NBA style Woodson is bringing has to be music to his ears. I'm not as high on KL as his ranking suggests but I think he is the starting PG next year. I'd like this line up:

1 Lander

2 Franklin

3 Stewart

4 Stretch 4 Transfer that can shoot it (basically Justin Smith at Arkansas)

5 TJD

Galloway, Leal, Hunter, Duncomb off the bench. Brunk and Phinisee stay, but I don't think they fit with the style Mike is talking about. If one of Lander, Stewart, or Franklin leave I'd like to see a CG transfer that can shoot it. 

I'd like to see them go after Tre Mitchell. I think IU recruited him. He can shoot the three ball.