Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

24 minutes ago, raorIU said:

I also found it interesting and positive CMW did not claim Knight's on-court schemes were part of IU's future product. Avoiding that nonsense was a fear I had about hiring an "IU Guy" - happy it seems a modern bball product is in our future.

Actually, I think he did, but more in a fundamental basketball way.  Something to the effect -- everyone touches the ball, shooters shoot and non-shooters do other things needed to win.   

13 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jon Blau --  I don't know if this has been noted yet on this site, but Bob Knight had his introductory press conference as IU's coach on March 29, 1971.  Mike Woodson's introduction (albiet, via Zoom) came on March 29, 2021.  Exactly 50 years later, to the day.

Let's hope Woody has the same kind of success.

If he does, he will be one of the oldest coaches ever in college basketball.

In another thread I indicated my concern with Woodson was being away from the college game.  And at the time, there where other hot name coaches out there.  I am good with the hire.  I see lots of positives.  The next month or so will tell -- who stays and who he gets to come via transfer.  He's got two definite spots (open scholarships) and a third with Al graduating.   So even if he gets everyone to come back, he can bring in three impact players right away.  That would be a good start.  

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Actually, I think he did, but more in a fundamental basketball way.  Something to the effect -- everyone touches the ball, shooters shoot and non-shooters do other things needed to win.   

Yeah, I caught that too and almost mentioned it in my post. I'm really glad it was said that way and not "we expect 3 passes before any shot" or whatever the Knight cliche was.

2 hours ago, Shivan said:

I'm an NC State fan. This reminds me of our 2006 coaching search. We thought we could get Calipari from Memphis or bring Rick Barnes "home" from Texas. I don't know if our AD was incompetent or if we never had a chance at those guys, but we eventually hired Sidney Lowe. Lowe had two unsuccessful NBA head coaching jobs but he was a good NBA assistant. He was also on our 1983 championship team so he understood how we were supposed to be winners!

He lasted five years. Went 86-78, 25-55 ACC.

So... good luck.

Your administration should've done its homework. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/514524-nba-power-rankings-the-50-worst-coaches-in-nba-history.amp.html

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

For the record, since this was brought up last night...

Woodson said he met with 8 or 9 players from the team last night. The rest Zoom’d in. 1 on 1’s with players today. 

Before anybody drags the guys that Zoom'd in, a few of the players have seemed to be out of town judging by their social medias and that may be the reason Woody has not been able to meet with everybody in person.

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Everyn3 yrs since age 40. Dad died of colon cancer when I was 23

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back home from my first one.. all clear..so recovering from the sleepy drugs rest of evening looking forward to cheering on the Lady Hoosiers.. first meal was pulled pork and brisket and MAAAAAN was it good!

Hi! I haven't been around here for several years. But, there I was on my lunch at work today sitting outside enjoying a nice spring day. Some random guy came by and sat at the bench next to me and saw the IU logo on my jacket. That's who told me we hired a new coach, When he told me who, I sighed. But....

We've recently had a great offensive coach who couldn't coach defense to save his life. Then, we had a great defensive coach who couldn't coach offense to save his life. So, now we have an IU guy. Someone who knows the way it should be. Maybe we have a guy who can just flat out coach? I don't know. But, I'm going to roll with it and find out. Let's do this.

Dare I say I have a slight woody for Woody? Nah, that's too cheesy. I'm on board though.