Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Had one at 45 and just had my check up when I was 50 and can go another 5 without one. I was happy when I found out they check your prostate by a blood test now than the old way
Everyn3 yrs since age 40. Dad died of colon cancer when I was 23

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That post is so incredibly simplistic. Entire takeaway from your post "Sidney Lowe failed as a college coach." 

Mike Woodson is not Sidney Lowe. Woody may fail. He may succeed.

While we welcome fans of other teams here, condescension and passive-aggressive behavior ("so...good luck") from other teams' fans on our board will not do anything to make you a welcome guest

Jesus, all the guy did was present a similar situation at NC State that should resonate here. 

Obviously he's not suggesting Mike Woodson is guaranteed to fail. However, so many fans are pointing to Woodson's NBA experience as proof he "can flat out coach" or whatever cliche you want to throw out there, when in Lowe's case that was clearly not the case.

Apparently presenting uncomfortable truths, or anything but unbridled enthusiasm for Mike Woodson gets you vilified around here.

It's possible to want him to succeed but also question the decision to hire him at the same time.

2 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Jesus, all the guy did was present a similar situation at NC State that should resonate here. 

Obviously he's not suggesting Mike Woodson is guaranteed to fail. However, so many fans are pointing to Woodson's NBA experience as proof he "can flat out coach" or whatever cliche you want to throw out there, when in Lowe's case that was clearly not the case.

Apparently presenting uncomfortable truths, or anything but unbridled enthusiasm for Mike Woodson gets you vilified around here.

It's possible to want him to succeed but also question the decision to hire him at the same time.

The problem is its a terrible comparison. Sydney Lowe's NBA head coaching career isn't even close to Mike Woodson's.

Right. It's an apples-to-oranges, overly simplistic comparison. It's the equivalent of saying, "Mike Woodson is a surefire success because Juwan Howard has been great at Michigan."

There's plenty of nuanced conversation to be had about Woodson's strengths and flaws, and no one is overlooking that. But "Sidney Lowe struggled" is not a relevant part of that conversation.

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Hey, Bow.

At the risk of someone changing my answer spending 4 years blabbing about things I didn't say just so he can follow me around and criticize me like a child....

I like it.   I talked to a friend last night who is very close to Butch Carter and by proxy Mike Woodson, and I know the IU basketball "family" is behind it.  That matters to me.  Woodson wants the job and won''t listen to any of the exterior BS.  He's not afraid of the task at hand, believes in player development and local recruiting.   I like all of that.   Archie wasn't willing to work a room or really change anything.   Woodson will be.

If you take the names off the resumes, I love Matta and would stack his resume against, say Matt Painter's.    Woodson has 20+ years of NBA experience with teams that got better when he was the head coach.  Players kids have heard of respect him and like him.  That matters.   A reality?  I wanted Brad Stevens.  He was the holy grail.   But on second thought and looking at it after stepping back, he really hasn't done anything Woodson hasn't done save coach in college successfully for a short time.   

Woodson played at Broad Ripple, played at Indiana, and played in the NBA for 10 years.   He may be the most under-rated player in the history of the Big Ten.  He was a 2000 point scorer in only 114 games at Indiana.   He was Big Ten player of the year having played just FIVE Big Ten games his senior year.   As Dakich said today, Woodson has dealt with the egos of Carmelo Anthony and Blake Griffin.  He can handle players' mommies.  The minutiae won't bother him.  Matta will help him with the ins and outs of running a college basketball program; and I think that combo will really be fun.

My opinion?  I think Indiana - shown by Matta w Woodson, are getting back to their own culture (no longer running it like a mid major), and at the same time, running IU men's basketball like a top tier basketball program for the first time in 21 years.   I see a whole lot of questioning and doubt above; and I had it too at first reaction.    Having had some time to think about it, I really like it and think he deserves this shot.  The "family" will now be united and that can do nothing but help.    

If I could write that well, I could’ve written this.

Listened to the press conference at lunch. I certainly like that he is ready to go. He is meeting with the players today and will have a staff soon. I'm warming up to the hire, but he can't have a 2008 like exodus of players and not bring anyone in. I do think this can work! Interested to see his staff. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Listened to the press conference at lunch. I certainly like that he is ready to go. He is meeting with the players today and will have a staff soon. I'm warming up to the hire, but he can't have a 2008 like exodus of players and not bring anyone in. I do think this can work! Interested to see his staff. 

This is probably the best year ever to build a team, or plug holes via transfers.

Just listened to, and then read the transcript, of CMW's conference. I noted he made a huge overture to the inarguably redeemable aspects of Knight's program: player development, player (not coach - hah!) accountability, and continuity across classes. That last aspect being what I think many here wanted to say when they shouted for hiring an "IU Guy". After all, it is was comparatively difficult for Crean, Miller to work with former IU players.

I also found it interesting and positive CMW did not claim Knight's on-court schemes were part of IU's future product. Avoiding that nonsense was a fear I had about hiring an "IU Guy" - happy it seems a modern bball product is in our future.

All that being said, it did not appear CMW has all the answers when it comes to recruiting strategy, navigating the B10 / NCAA. He was fairly transparent on that - kudos - but still worrying. I'm really glad Matta is part of this as he could be a major boon in these aspects.

Like most people on this board, I was disappointed at first with this hire.  The more I think about it, the more I like it.  He is one of the only coaches we could have got that can actually say to a player, "I know what it takes to get to the NBA, and if you are willing to put in the work, we can make it happen."  I think that will really motivate players to improve and put in the work to up their game.

32 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Hey, Bow.

At the risk of someone changing my answer spending 4 years blabbing about things I didn't say just so he can follow me around like a child and criticize me like he has nothing better to do....

I like it.   I talked to a friend last night who is very close to Butch Carter and by proxy Mike Woodson, and I know the IU basketball "family" is behind it.  That matters to me.  Woodson wants the job and won''t listen to any of the exterior BS.  He's not afraid of the task at hand, believes in player development and local recruiting.   I like all of that.   Archie wasn't willing to work a room or really change anything.   Woodson will be.

If you take the names off the resumes, I love Matta and would stack his resume against, say Matt Painter's.    Woodson has 20+ years of NBA experience with teams that got better when he was the head coach.  Players kids have heard of respect him and like him.  That matters.   A reality?  I wanted Brad Stevens.  He was the holy grail.   But on second thought and looking at it after stepping back, he really hasn't done anything Woodson hasn't done save coach in college successfully for a short time.   

Woodson played at Broad Ripple, played at Indiana, and played in the NBA for 10 years.  That will resonate w kids whether they have heard of him or not.   He may be the most under-rated player in the history of the Big Ten.  He was a 2000 point scorer in only 114 games at Indiana.   He was Big Ten player of the year having played just FIVE Big Ten games his senior year.   As Dakich said today, Woodson has dealt with the egos of Carmelo Anthony and Blake Griffin.  He can handle players' mommies.  The minutiae won't bother him.  Matta will help him with the ins and outs of running a college basketball program; and I think that combo will really be fun.

My opinion?  I think Indiana - shown by Matta w Woodson, are getting back to their own culture (no longer running it like a mid major), and at the same time, running IU men's basketball like a top tier basketball program for the first time in 21 years.   I see a whole lot of questioning and doubt above; and I had it too at first reaction.    Having had some time to think about it, I really like it and think he deserves this shot.  The "family" will now be united and that can do nothing but help.    

Edit :  Bob Kravitz doesn't like it which means I love it.    He and so many others are so damned unable to look beneath the surface.  Why journalism guys like he and Zac Osterman (whose experience is playing Madden and NCAA Basketball on XBox) are asked for their input on sports.   I digress..

Yeah man, I know you and I have had discussions probably over the last 15 years on IU guy vs not IU guy.  I think to a degree we both hedged at various times if it was needed.  We will see how it plays out.  But I really like the structure they are going to surround him with.  He is an X and O guy.  The other guys will help with recruiting and making sure he doesn’t hand a kid a pop giving IU the death sentence.  Out of every ex IU guy, at the point it had to be Woodson or Lewis I think.  Good time for a reboot for everyone.