Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

3 minutes ago, Shivan said:

I'm an NC State fan. This reminds me of our 2006 coaching search. We thought we could get Calipari from Memphis or bring Rick Barnes "home" from Texas. I don't know if our AD was incompetent or if we never had a chance at those guys, but we eventually hired Sidney Lowe. Lowe had two unsuccessful NBA head coaching jobs but he was a good NBA assistant. He was also on our 1983 championship team so he understood how we were supposed to be winners!

He lasted five years. Went 86-78, 25-55 ACC.

So... good luck.

Thanks for the insight.

Now run and duck for cover, because you're about to labelled a hater.

5 minutes ago, Shivan said:

I'm an NC State fan. This reminds me of our 2006 coaching search. We thought we could get Calipari from Memphis or bring Rick Barnes "home" from Texas. I don't know if our AD was incompetent or if we never had a chance at those guys, but we eventually hired Sidney Lowe. Lowe had two unsuccessful NBA head coaching jobs but he was a good NBA assistant. He was also on our 1983 championship team so he understood how we were supposed to be winners!

So... good luck.

Woodson managed to get the Hawks and Knicks (two of the worst franchises in the NBA) to the playoffs.  He was anything but a failure as an NBA Head Coach.  

4 minutes ago, Shivan said:

So... good luck.

This is a very surface level comparison. 

Lowe's win % in NBA was .257 and his best win total in a season was 23. 

Woodson improved Atlanta's win % every single season including taking them to the playoffs his last 3 seasons. He made the playoffs over 50% of his total seasons as a HC. He is the last Knicks coach to take them to the playoffs. He won more first round series than he lost. 

He also has Thad ******* Matta helping him out. 

We’re comparing a 23 win NBA coach at his peak to 50+ Wins with Woodson.

That seems like a good comparison. Woodson’s teams improved every year he was there essentially, and they all got worse after he left. 

Plenty of NBA coaches have come to college and failed, others have come and succeeded. One example in a vacuum is pretty meaningless, but I’m glad an NC State fan felt the need to come here and inform us of their specific failure.

So NC State then hired a proven cheater (Gottfried), and now are treading water with Keats who hasn’t made the tourney the last three years. 

Plus Sidney lowe was 79-228 in five seasons in the nba, which isn’t even close to Woodson

1 minute ago, jimsorgi said:

If the difference between college Sidney Lowe and college Mike Woodson matches the difference between NBA Sidney Lowe and NBA Mike Woodson, I'll be thrilled for IU's future.

And the great Jim Sorgi delivers an elbow drop from the top rope!

31 minutes ago, ViaSwiss said:

Thad Matta salary $400,000 per yr

I think this might make Matta one of the top 10 highest paid non heading coaching staffers and highest overall paid non assistant coach in all of college basketball