Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Just now, mdiu28 said:

Can someone tell me what the "sweet georgia brown" play DD mentioned to Woody is. Got a hell of a laugh out of the guy. 

Guess it's a Woodson inbounds play? 

Woodson inbounds play they ran in New York and LA I believe, I saw Melo and Redick talking about it. Apparently it was really successful.

Just now, Trish said:

It's nice people like Woodson and of course having the older Indiana fans more tuned in than recent years. But the results have to be there. He has to win and he has to win big. 

If it's not working in 2024/2025 then cut ties. If there's some potential, keep going. 

I agree we have to have results, but I think the pieces are being aligned.

I think back a couple of years when it was a reported (and dang it I can't remember his name) that a Duke recruit was spotted hanging with an NBA dude in Vegas.  You have to think that Coach K uses his NBA influences to help in the recruiting arena.  We have a small share of players in the NBA but nothing in the last few years would have the impact like we could see coming up.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

He either made a new account, or that’s fake. @MikeWoodsonNBA is his verified Twitter handle. 

Well, since he isn't a part of the NBA anymore.......

1 minute ago, T White said:

Well, since he isn't a part of the NBA anymore.......

You don’t have to make a new account to change your handle.

It’s been solved a few pages back though. He did in fact make a new account. Thanks for your periods!

13 minutes ago, Trish said:

It's nice people like Woodson and of course having the older Indiana fans more tuned in than recent years. But the results have to be there. He has to win and he has to win big. 

If it's not working in 2024/2025 then cut ties. If there's some potential, keep going

You won’t get disagreement as that sentiment would have applied to anyone and everyone we would have hired.

I know this hire wasn't anyone's home run hire; certainly it wasn't mine either. Mid last week, I came across a few Youtube videos of NBA players praising Woodson, and thought 'Wait, if it's not going to be Stevens. Mike Woodson could be a consolation prize.' and started posting positive remarks on Woodson. Nothing's guaranteed, even for our once golden boy Brad ******* Stevens. But I'm happy for the hire and also cautiously optimistic. One thing for sure is that coach Woodson, IU, and the entire alumni base WILL pour all resources at their disposal for the success of IU basketball because THIS HAS TO WORK and there's no other option. Right now, national media, for the most part, is laughing at us. The harsh reality is, despite our eternal love for IU basketball, this head coaching gig is not that attractive in year 2021 after 2 decades of continued failures. I believe Dolson has taken his time and done all the due diligence he could possibly do. My guess is he didn't get positive responses from all the sexy candidates we talked about on this board, which possibly led to the Holtmann thing. To me, the fact that IU contacted Holtmann meant that IU ran out of options. The first thing I thought about after hearing Holtmann rumor (or truth) was Mike Woodson because he was pretty much the only one left who is qualified and possibly has the mental fortitude to take this gig. I really feel that this time it had to be coach Woodson, and I'm happy he said yes. 

Again this has to work. Failure is not an option any more. I believe and hope all stakeholders of Indiana basketball would feel the same way and get behind coach Woodson for success. Go Hoosiers!!

23 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Can someone tell me what the "sweet georgia brown" play DD mentioned to Woody is. Got a hell of a laugh out of the guy. 

Guess it's a Woodson inbounds play? 

Search Youtube Mike Woodson there is a video about it. 

I do believe that once all the dust settles, and everybody adjusts to the fact that their guy didn't get the job, they'll realize that 1) one of our own is at the helm; 2) he will be afforded the appropriate transitional learning curve; 3) he will not only be coaching but working to once again instill that IU basketball culture that has been long gone. Give the man an opportunity. The program doesn't need rebuilt as it did when CTC inherited the mess he did, but it does need the right culture instilled once and for all, and the right people brought in who believe in and will embrace and promote that right culture. If IU fans turn on one of their own, then that speaks worse for our fan base than for our coach. Fact is, everybody will be waiting to see how this goes, but I think it has tremendous, mostly unseen potential, and shows Dolson is thinking outside the proverbial box. Everybody thinks this is risky for IU. So it may be. We look back, it was risky hiring Archie. But it is just as risky for Woodson who is heading toward the end of his career, and I'm sure he'd like to cap it off with a good run at IU, so it is equally risky for him. It is also just as risky for Dolson, as if he gets this wrong in the end, he's done as an AD. Talk about one and done. Anyhow, let's all relax and support our new coach as he seeks to return IU to a winning culture that we all once appreciated (and still do). I think he's going to raise a lot of eyebrows and surprise a lot of people.

33 minutes ago, Trish said:

Woody's reaction when he see's Rob, Kristian, and TJD shooting 3's in Cook Hall today. 

ughknicks.gif

As a Knicks fan we all knew how he felt with his facial expressions.  They were quite amusing.  He has the worst poker face I’ve seen,

Man..crazy 24 hours for Mike. Gets on the plane to head to Indiana, meets his teams, meets with Hunter, press conference, and now individual player meetings. I listen to Assembly Call sometimes and I don't always agree with him but Phillips said it best: What Mike Woodson does these first few weeks is going to go a long way in the success he has in his first year or two at Indiana. He has to retain some of the portal guys, hire a great staff, and start building relationships around the state while recruiting in the transfer portal. I think it is so important Woodson has a solid first year at IU like Davis and Sampson had. Make the tournament and get some momentum. 

1 hour ago, Demo said:
  1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Interesting tweet from Jarrad Odle 

Coach Woodson made a great point. Don’t think transfers out are a bad thing. Some of these players are used to doing half the work and he will expect all the work. There were hidden non buy in guys all over this team. Cant win championships with selfishness. 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Great call by Odle. Unassailably true. Will also be curious to see how Woody handles kids that after watching them decides they  just aren’t good enough or are a poor fit for his scheme, though they may be really good kids. Is he ready to be that guy from the jump. Would think so, but I want to see it.

This^^^.....Will coach Woodson "be that guy from the jump"? I'm an old school guy who has been more than willing to let each coach since Bob Knight have their chance to see if it works out. The past 20 odd yrs have been quite a roller-coaster. I don't know jack, but I know marrying the past with the future is now about to really get underway. And Coach Woodson is all IU. No question. I wish him the best of luck in seeing this through.

I'm an NC State fan. This reminds me of our 2006 coaching search. We thought we could get Calipari from Memphis or bring Rick Barnes "home" from Texas. I don't know if our AD was incompetent or if we never had a chance at those guys, but we eventually hired Sidney Lowe. Lowe had two unsuccessful NBA head coaching jobs but he was a good NBA assistant. He was also on our 1983 championship team so he understood how we were supposed to be winners!

He lasted five years. Went 86-78, 25-55 ACC.

So... good luck.
Edited by Shivan