Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

So, this is funny. After schlepping all these years for his buddy Alford to get the job and calling everyone an idiot for not agreeing with him, DD says that he just learned that Buckner has a HUGE problem with Alford. 

And then ... silence. So apparently Bucker's not an idiot for thinking the same thing that many, many IU fans did who are idiots? Okey doke. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Wonder if a guy like Randy Wittman is ever considered for an assistant coaching job here?

Lewis/Wittman/Hunter staff?

Wittman hasn't coached in 5 years

Just now, PB1230 said:

Wittman hasn't coached in 5 years

Sure but I am just tossing him out there because he has NBA head coaching experience and I am pretty sure he's close to Woodson plus the passion for the program

Anthony Leal's mom is really pleased with the hire if you check out her Twitter. Have to think Anthony is as well. (I know he said he was staying before we hired a new coach, but good to see the feeling seems to still there after the hire too).

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

It's a 63 year old using technology lol... I doubt he wants "NBA" in his twitter handle. 

You can change your Twitter handle without making a new account.

But he is an old fart so he may not know that ;) 

2 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

After a day of consideration and learning about Coach Woody, I’m a big fan of the hire. Very different from Archie’s energy, for sure. Hearing Dolson talk about the three main concerns of the players was telling: relationship with coach, skill development, overall style of play. I’d say this is in line with what we all suspected. I agree with the sentiment that Woodson will be a players’ coach. Personally I view that as a great thing. Woodson is calm and self-assured and large and accomplished. He’s got some swag about him, has so much more to his resume than a Lewis or Fife or even Cheaney. And I think he’s going to have real rapport with these guys having come from Indy and succeeded and has awesome pics with the hair and records that still hold up. And the dude wants to bring our offense and defense current! Yeah. The more I think about him the more I like it. My reservations before were really just ignorance. Oh, lastly, his reverence for IU ball. Hard to imagine many more qualified to connect and instill that in young players. 

The announcement of Matta simultaneous to Woodson was an interesting choice. We’ve talked about making a splash with the hire, and this I think was an effort towards that, which could be seen as a recognition that Woodson himself doesn’t make that splash. Hard to imagine a fiery guy like Matta can sit back and not try to take some ownership along the way. Regardless, he has to be viewed as an asset. 

As for transfers vs retention, I’m nearing ambiguity. I do like our players, but will like the new ones, too. Let Coach build his own team. 

The think the Matta hire/announcement was precisely to address Woodson's biggest question mark (lack of college experience). It was to preemptively quiet the biggest doubts so the rest of Woodson's resume could make a splash

28 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

It might sound odd but this comment right here is what stood out most to me from the entire press conference.  To me, Woodson basically saying "don't waste my time if you're not serious and I won't waste your time if I'm hired".  I don't know, I liked the no-nonsense of it all and I think that attitude will translate well down to recruits.

I thought it more as I want to talk face to face where we can look at each other in the eye instead of over a electronic impersonal media.