Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Transfer portal is a two way street....

We could potentially lose a lot of guys in the portal but it’s now easier than ever to retool your roster via the portal. 

THIS.

I can tell that Woody wants to keep our guys to the extent that it makes sense. But if we get some surprising transfers? Now that will tell us something about the appeal of playing for an NBA vet. They may not even go after transfers that hard, but if they do and it works... very exciting for the future.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'll give it a shot.  I'm not calling it a good or bad hire, nothing has taken place, yet. 

1)  Where was Woody on everyone's list of top coaches?  Top 5, top 10, not in the running?

2)  Beilein has been there and done that at this level but many ruled him out for his age.  He's 5 years older than Woody?  Say everything goes splendid with this hire, how many years do we get out of Woody?  10, 12, 15 years max?  Why was it a big deal with Beilein but not with Woody?  5 years isn't that big of a difference plus one is an established coach at this level and one is just getting his feet wet.

3)  Again, with the age.  How will he relate to young players?  I don't question his X's and O's but I question how young men, more than 1/3 his age, respond to him?  It's cool to be able to say you coached Melo, Paul, and others at the highest level but what does that do for young men?  Can he say he got those guys to where they are?  He definitely can say he coached them at that level but did he get them there?

4)  The Matta hire is solid but he's not allowed to work with the players on shooting or putting them through drills.  Just stop with that.  He won't be allowed to recruit.  He was hired to assist Woodson with the transition to the college level in terms of rules and how to build a program.  That's solid but think about what that means.  Dolson wasn't confident enough in the coach he hired to hand over the program to him.  I'm more confident with Matta being hired but we're looking at a coach that can learn on the job for a once historically elite program in the hopes it works out.  That should tell you where the program is at this current time.

5)  On top of all that, it will be that much harder to get rid of "one of our own" if he's not cutting it in 4-5 years.  That concerns me but that is the trend of how the basketball program has been (mis)managed for the last 20 years.

Can it work out?  Sure, but I'm not holding my breath.

The more I think about it, the more I think he won’t have any problem relating to younger guys. The Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul is good and all for the name dropping aspect, but I think his current stuff is more important. A week ago he was coaching guys like RJ Barrett (20), Kevin Knox (21), Immanuel Quickley (21), Obi Toppin (23) and Mitchell Robinson (22), among other young guys on the Knicks. The Knicks have a bunch of guys on the team who are college age or just past college age. 

18 minutes ago, Trish said:

I think we need all of them besides Al to stay. Race is important, Franklin is our best guard, Kristian has the most potential, and Jordan might develop into what Woodson wants. 

Jordan's mom already said he is going closer to home to play. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The more I think about it, the more I think he won’t have any problem relating to younger guys. The Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul is good and all for the name dropping aspect, but I think his current stuff is more important. A week ago he was coaching guys like RJ Barrett (20), Kevin Knox (21), Immanuel Quickley (21), Obi Toppin (23) and Mitchell Robinson (22), among other young guys on the Knicks. The Knicks have a bunch of guys on the team who are college age or just past college age. 

Wow.  That group is younger than the WI players!

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I thought his “IU basketball will always be Bob Knight” comment was really interesting. With our other coaches, and other candidates out there, they’d want IU to be their program. They wouldn’t want to live in the shadows of Bob Knight. Such a polarizing former coach creates a divide. Other guys might not feel as comfortable embracing the past. With Woody, I get a different feeling. Obviously he’s the guy in charge of IU basketball now. Saying “it’s not his program” sounds weird, but from listening to him talk I get the feeling that he sees IU basketball as Bob Knight’s program. It’s Bob Knight’s program, and it’s now Coach Woodson’s job to get it back to a place Bob Knight would be proud of. 

I just took that as CMW acknowledging the shadow Knight still casts over the program, which has been kind of an elephant in the room for the last few coaches. Just the optics of seeing the new IU coach talk so much Knight right at the top of his introductory press conference was extraordinary. That would've been unimaginable with the last few hires. I'm not saying it's better one way or the other, but it is a signal that there's some sort of weight that's lifted, and that the way the program connects its past and present is going to be different going forward.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

But he wasn't their head coach! Nor did he recruit those specific players there as it's the NBA.

We'll see if he can relate to young players and coach them in today's college basketball! 

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Woodson is meeting with players individually today. 

Franklin has some options like Louisville and Virginia.

Louisville is trying to hire Kenya Hunter too.

The meetings today will be huge.

Yeeep.

I think Franklin is a must have. 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I&#39;m not gonna puff my chest out and be like &#39;Indiana just hit a home run and everyone else should be scared&#39; but Mike Woodson is awesome.&quot;<a href="https://twitter.com/clubtrillion?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@clubtrillion</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/tatefrazier?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tatefrazier</a> react to <a href="https://twitter.com/IndianaMBB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@IndianaMBB</a> hiring Mike Woodson to be its next Head Coach ⬇️ <a href="https://t.co/0uakP6T1LW">pic.twitter.com/0uakP6T1LW</a></p>&mdash; FOX College Hoops (@CBBonFOX) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBBonFOX/status/1376557260399255554?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edit: **** 

https://twitter.com/CBBonFOX/status/1376557260399255554?s=20

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I started a (much appreciated) Private Message conversation with a very respected poster on this board about six days ago when Woody's name first became a real possibility. The other poster knows a lot about Woody, and I started to research just how highly his NBA players thought of him. That's when I started to post YouTube videos of those testimonials. The conclusion from our conversation stated:

"This is the guy we should have hired both five and thirteen years ago."

Better late than never y'all. Better late than never.

No concern about age?