Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

5 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Has anyone seem a write up of what Thad’s role will be? I’ve only seen the vague “will help out the men’s bball program”. He was a hell of a recruiter at OSU so I’m hoping he’s focusing on that end.  

I think this hire was Brad Stevens or bust for most fans but I think Woodson will do a tremendous job and will look to install his successor in a more planned strategic fashion, leaving this program in a much better place than when he arrived. 

His ability to contribute will be limited since he’s not an on staff coach. We will still have the three assistants with Woodson.

Per NCAA rules, I believe that means he’s not allowed to offer any in-person instruction to players at practice nor is he allowed to go on recruiting visits but he can participate in recruiting visits to IU.

I would assume most of his role is acting in an advisory capacity to Woodson to help him adjust to college and help with recruiting visits to Bloomington. 

2 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

Put names on the jerseys, redesign the jerseys(keep tradition but update), put some more money in Cook Hall, rearrange the student section, and hang a couple banners.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Woodson putting jersey's on the back seems the least likely out of what you mentioned LOL. 

3 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

Put names on the jerseys, redesign the jerseys(keep tradition but update), put some more money in Cook Hall, rearrange the student section, and hang a couple banners.

What more money do we need to put in Cook Hall? No names on jerseys. 

7 hours ago, Shoes_N_Shorts said:

Not directing this at you personally, but I see this take everywhere. 
1. Davis took those players farther than Knight himself ever did. There is a lot to be said for letting players play and grow in confidence. 

2. Davis recruited the hell out of those guys, especially Newton and Moye among others. They were just as much his guys as Knight’s, maybe moreso. 

I encourage anyone who hasn’t yet to listen to A.J. Guyton’s interview with him. Those players loved Mike Davis.

*end rant

I don’t think you understood “the take,” or else you wouldn’t have felt compelled to interject such a misguided Davis defense.  

Davis took over a program and roster built by Knight, had some immediate success for which he gets credit, and then drove the program off the ledge when he was fully responsible for everything. Same with the chap who followed Dean Smith. Thus the parallel drawn. 

This was all in the context of the discussion of great programs not being immune from bad hires. 

14 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

The Big Ten Tournament uniforms from maybe Yogi’s senior year were fantastic and should be our standard jersey. Cream home and Crimson away. The crap the players wear right now is terrible. 

So you don't know? just a random thought? lol 
Why would you think they aren't already doing that? 

I know that our facilities are extreme nice, but as others have said they are not in the top 5 or even top 10 in the country. Don’t you think that we should be in that top 10 range? We are one of the premier basketball programs. Shouldn’t we act like one?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

His ability to contribute will be limited since he’s not an on staff coach. We will still have the three assistants with Woodson.

Per NCAA rules, I believe that means he’s not allowed to offer any in-person instruction to players at practice nor is he allowed to go on recruiting visits but he can participate in recruiting visits to IU.

I would assume most of his role is acting in an advisory capacity to Woodson to help him adjust to college and help with recruiting visits to Bloomington. 

Just an assumption, but if Mattas back is still that bad a bunch of on court stuff and recruiting traveling is probably the thing he’s trying to avoid. 

I fail to understand the guys that are absolutely hating this hire and calling it a failure. No coaching hire is a sure thing. 4 years ago, Archie Miller was lauded as they fail-proof hire. Some commentators saw no way he would fail. How did that turn out?

Coach Woodson has some incredible knowledge and experience that I think these parents and recruits are going to be drawn toward. The only "lack of college experience" aspect that should concern is recruiting, but with some A+ assistants, there is nothing to worry about. Not to mention the Thad Matta angle. I still don't fully understand what he can/cannot do, but I have no doubt it will be a positive impact.

8 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

but as an 16-18 year old. The cut of our uniforms isn’t what kids want.  

Please find me one kid that went to college based on the cut of their uniform.  Young men playing basketball are not doing so to major in fashion design.  Are there some kinds in the past that went to a school because it was Nike, or Adidas?  Sure.  Isn't that what a good portion of the FBI investigation is about?  

4 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

I know that our facilities are extreme nice, but as others have said they are not in the top 5 or even top 10 in the country. Don’t you think that we should be in that top 10 range? We are one of the premier basketball programs. Shouldn’t we act like one?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Have you not seen the locker room? 

And who is they?