Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

I don't hate this hire but don't love it, either. There were 4 coaches that I would've been thrilled with to varying degrees if hired. He wasn't one of them. So I was initially disappointed when this news broke but wasn't yet official. Since it's become official I feel pretty neutral about it. The addition of Matta certainly helped that. This neutral feeling is pretty much the same or better than I've felt about all the hires since Knight and what I was expecting. Dolson didn't let me down in that aspect. lol

I will say this is favor of him: from everything that's been said he really, really wanted this job. He tried to get it before we hired Miller and then again this time. Whether that will help or not, it is certainly something that we haven't seen in any of the coaches we've hired since Knight with the possible exception of Crean. Davis had his eye on the NBA and never seemed to embrace the university. Sampson has always struck me as a mercenary who doesn't feel loyalty to the school he's at. Crean did seem to really love the school. Miller seemed to just view it as another job with no real love for the school.

Another thing is that if he turns out to be very successful we won't have to worry about him bolting the the NBA. He's already been there and done that. 

I view this as kind of a compromise by Dolson. He wanted Stevens from the NBA but couldn't get him. A portion of the fan base wanted a former player, usually Alford. In Woodson he was able to get an NBA coach (and former player) who was also a former player but without the baggage and known mediocre college coaching record of Alford.

I'm hoping for the best and really want this to work out. 

My least favorite procedure. Because of family history, I'm on the every 3 year plan.
Had one every year for the past 7 years because of a personal history. Well make it 8 here in s couple of months

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

I liked that part of the process, basically everything except the guy Dolson decided on.

If you asked every athletic director of a Power 5 school to put together a list of 10 candidates they would interview if they needed to hire someone, do you think Mike Woodson cracks any of those lists?

This is not a hire that a big boy program like Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc. would make.  This hire is a massive, massive reach.

If it's true he targeted Woodson after being denied by Stevens, and he never made a call to Chris Beard, then that is a huge question mark against Dolson.  Seriously, that is incompetence at its finest.

Beard doesn’t play the offensive style he said he was looking for.  

1 minute ago, maharkn said:

Had one every year for the past 7 years because of a personal history. Well make it 8 here in s couple of months

This is my first rodeo- so to speak-not as terrible as I've been told so far.  To think some people "prep" on purpose.. nope, I'm freakin hungry!

This is my first rodeo- so to speak-not as terrible as I've been told so far.  To think some people "prep" on purpose.. nope, I'm freakin hungry!

Yeah I'm not a fan. The only joy is knowing that a big steak will be had soon after

Series of events:

1.) IU hires Woodson/Matta.

2.) Zaga finally matches the ‘76 season.

3.) Push that reset button hard, REbuild the culture, make Indiana a brand again, bring the former players back, push the program forward into the modern day.

4.) Win. Finally. 

Woodson is honestly perfect for the changing aspects of the game. There are a ton of intangibles he brings to the table. It’ll take time, but I’m here for it. LFG Woody!

47 minutes ago, Papacap said:

I’m not trying to tell you how to feel about this, but I honestly don’t get the “devastated” position. Questioning it? Sure. But devastated? Do you think Woodson can’t develop and coach college players? Do you think he can’t create relationships with recruits and get them to buy into his vision?

I get that he’s never coached college before. But to think that he’s going into this like a deer in headlights assumes the worse of all options.

ive seen people say that no other P5 college would hire him. OK. But it’s not likely he would want to coach for another power 5 college. And how many college coaches would an NBA team hire as their head coach? A few. And while people like to say Woodson failed as an NBA head coach, taking two different teams to the playoffs isn’t child’s play.

I think Woodson will develop a fundamentally sound team, I think he knows his Xs and Os, and will be able to connect with recruits. And while some don’t put a premium on this, he is an Indiana Guy who wants this job. Not just for the salary. But as a passion.

This wasn't directed to me, but since I'm of a similar opinion I'll respond. It's not that I think Woodson can't______________. Who knows? He's never done ________________. He's spent his entire career in the NBA. That knowledge might translate, it might not. Spin it however you want his HC record is not stellar (.463). Oh, yeah, he's old too. My primary disappointment is not that I hate Woodson, it's that I think there were so many better options. Guys that are currently coaching in the NCAA. Guys that have a proven record of doing what we want them to do. Not hoping and wishing- but past performance indicating they will continue to succeed. Why didn't we hire an assistant from the Phoenix Suns or T-Wolves, surely one of their guys knows b-ball! We all know why, Woodson got the job because he's an IU letterman. Now we HOPE that "passion" and "understanding" magically turns into wins. I find that to be a 3rd grade mentality, pure fantasy. Hire someone that has shown they can do the job, not who you want it to be. I don't care if this is Woodson's "dream job." I wanna be an astronaut. Neither of us is qualified. Tell me he's the best guy for the job? Top 3? No, no one believes that. Definition of settling. Hugely disappointing. 

5 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

Series of events:

1.) IU hires Woodson/Matta.

2.) Zaga finally matches the ‘76 season.

3.) Push that reset button hard, REbuild the culture, make Indiana a brand again, bring the former players back, push the program forward into the modern day.

4.) Win. Finally. 

Woodson is honestly perfect for the changing aspects of the game. There are a ton of intangibles he brings to the table. It’ll take time, but I’m here for it. LFG Woody!

My only worry is that IU needs some serious refreshing. Uniforms, Facilities, some traditions, etc.. can he himself or can he bring someone on to make those changes? 

1 minute ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

My only worry is that IU needs some serious refreshing. Uniforms, Facilities, some traditions, etc.. can he himself or can he bring someone on to make those changes? 

I think they surround him with a stellar staff, which is absolutely key. I have faith that Dolson is well aware that a total culture overhaul is needed, and I think it’s coming. 

28 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Historically Indiana is a top ten program. In the last 20 years, they have not been a top 25 program. Both can be true. Doesn't mean they can't get back. 

The second fact doesn't take them down from blue blood status.   Just like it hasn't for the Knicks.  Just like it hasn't for the Montreal Canadiens.   Both blue blood programs.  Same as IU.  Recent success / failure doesn't affect that.

33 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

BADGE!! Good to see ya bud, hope you’ve been doing well.

Trust me, I get it and it’s not a sexy hire that we all thought it would be. My biggest suggestion is while being frustrated, go into it with an open mind because you never know what might happen. We have Matta on staff, and if we can get some top level assistants this could be a home run situation. If we can somehow get Lewis from UCLA, that brings a high level pedigree for and offensive guru. 

Lastly, this fanbase has been fractured ever since Bobby was fired. Instead of us bickering and continuously never being satisfied, let’s finally come together and support our new coach! Give them 100% from us, and maybe we can get over this “curse” that seems to be over this program since Coach Knight. 

Thank you sir. Good to be noticed. I’ve been on IU boards for over 20 years now. Lol!

Yea this one STUNG. I hope he does well. I HATED the Crean hire. Felt reasonably ok with Archie, and this one I am flat as a pancake. I guess we’ll see.

My first litmus test is who comes back as players. This is the group that should be the easiest recruits. They’re already here, have relationships, already committed to the school against other schools, only change is a losing coach to a new brand of basketball. If he meets and doesn’t retain most, I am already GRAVELY concerned for recruiting moving forward.

I’m going to hope and try to be open.

Sorry but this feels like a “good ole boys” hire who wanted “one of theirs.”

The second fact doesn't take them down from blue blood status.   Just like it hasn't for the Knicks.  Just like it hasn't for the Montreal Canadiens.   Both blue blood programs.  Same as IU.  Recent success / failure doesn't affect that.

Old Friend, how do you feel about this hire?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

This wasn't directed to me, but since I'm of a similar opinion I'll respond. It's not that I think Woodson can't______________. Who knows? He's never done ________________. He's spent his entire career in the NBA. That knowledge might translate, it might not. Spin it however you want his HC record is not stellar (.463). Oh, yeah, he's old too. My primary disappointment is not that I hate Woodson, it's that I think there were so many better options. Guys that are currently coaching in the NCAA. Guys that have a proven record of doing what we want them to do. Not hoping and wishing- but past performance indicating they will continue to succeed. Why didn't we hire an assistant from the Phoenix Suns or T-Wolves, surely one of their guys knows b-ball! We all know why, Woodson got the job because he's an IU letterman. Now we HOPE that "passion" and "understanding" magically turns into wins. I find that to be a 3rd grade mentality, pure fantasy. Hire someone that has shown they can do the job, not who you want it to be. I don't care if this is Woodson's "dream job." I wanna be an astronaut. Neither of us is qualified. Tell me he's the best guy for the job? Top 3? No, no one believes that. Definition of settling. Hugely disappointing. 

Exactly where I’m at. Even for guys who wanted “an IU guy” his names wasn’t floating in those circles at all, and no one can try to say he was. He wasn’t on 98% of fans radars before rumors happened FOR A REASON. 

NOW of course we want to believe he’ll do it. In reality we have no reason BUT to believe he will. I remember as a Wisconsin citizen when Crean was hired and told everyone exactly what we hired and it turned out EXACTLY that way. His career at Marquette would repeat itself. BUT most spun and spun Crean so much even they got ME to start to believe he had found all the fixes he needed at IU to be great.

I see A LOT more question marks, unknowns, and points of GRAVE concern with Woodson at the hire than with Crean AND Archie.

He could prove me wrong. I hope he does. But as of right now, I’ve never been less excited for any hire of any team I’ve followed my whole life. This is the text book definition of “color me unimpressed.”

Here goes nothing. 

I think they surround him with a stellar staff, which is absolutely key. I have faith that Dolson is well aware that a total culture overhaul is needed, and I think it’s coming. 

Any inside info? Or is that a gut feeling? I mean the practice facility is nice but you have to compare to the rest of Big10 a few years ago they ranked the b10 jobs and IU was like 6th in facilities. I’m excited for this hire.... but IU needs a serious refresh. I’d go as far to see we need to bring the bison mascot back, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, BadgerVol said:

Exactly where I’m at. Even for guys who wanted “an IU guy” his names wasn’t floating in those circles at all, and no one can try to say he was. He wasn’t on 98% of fans radars before rumors happened FOR A REASON. 

NOW of course we want to believe he’ll do it. In reality we have no reason BUT to believe he will. I remember as a Wisconsin citizen when Crean was hired and told everyone exactly what we hired and it turned out EXACTLY that way. His career at Marquette would repeat itself. BUT most spun and spun Crean so much even they got ME to start to believe he had found all the fixes he needed at IU to be great.

I see A LOT more question marks, unknowns, and points of GRAVE concern with Woodson at the hire than with Crean AND Archie.

He could prove me wrong. I hope he does. But as of right now, I’ve never been less excited for any hire of any team I’ve followed my whole life. This is the text book definition of “color me unimpressed.”

Here goes nothing. 

Ok. 

Who would you have been excited with, that we could actually get, that isn't named Brad Stevens?

6 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Ok. 

Who would you have been excited with, that we could actually get, that isn't named Brad Stevens?

Not gonna go that road with you. I’ll name names “NOT Stevens” and then you’ll just say they wouldn’t come regardless of the money we thru at them. So you. Can take your “win.” Woodson is the best candidate we could have gotten and we should all be thrilled at such a great hire.

Kudos.