Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

11 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

180* wrong.   Blue blood means historic.  Foundational.  All time championships both national and conference.  Programs that built and shaped what we have now in every sport (the Knicks, for example are a blue blood NBA team).    There is no "momentary" blue blood status; nor is a team "still" a blue blood.   You either are or you aren't.   In college basketball, it's Indiana, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, probably Duke and probably UCLA.   For example, what will it mean for college basketball as a whole if Purdue becomes a national powerhouse?    Not a whole hell of a lot.   What will it mean when Indiana does so again?    You know the answer as well as I do.  Reason?  College basketball's better when Indiana's good.  Same as college football's better when Notre Dame's good.  Why?  Blue bloods have that kind of clout.  And they always will.  It's not a temporary condition.   There's a reason IU is RIGHT NOW the #3 revenue generating college basketball program even as bad as they've been.  You're making up your own definition and then arguing against it.    

Happy to see you here again. Honestly, we need a bit of what you bring. You've always been a defender of the greatness of the program. I've been watching since the mid 50's, though I don't remember that much about those teams. But I do know that over the years I've watched a lot of great IU basketball. And personally, I am fine with Woodson taking a shot at it. He, at the very least, understands.

Just now, Bowhunter said:

So does anyone think Lander was visiting Louisville to play there next season? I’m a big believer in him and I don’t want him to go

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Would be illegal for Louisville to do that

17 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Welcome home, Coach!

@Chris007  Where is this picture taken from.  I don't recall anywhere around Assembly Hall or Memorial Stadium that has a drive in corridor such as this?  Its for sure not Assembly Hall correct?  Maybe it is Memorial Stadium but I can't for the life of me picture where the drive in would be?

42 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Mike Woodson would definitely be in my top 10, my top 5. Dude played 12 years in the NBA, coached 25 years in the NBA, the highest level of basketball plus they added Matta. Where did Beard play? Oh he went to one final game and loves Texas. His daughters, and girlfriend is in Lubbock. We got the guy who loves IU

Yeah you wouldn't want to hire a coach based on how successful they've been recently.

SMH, some of you guys are seriously putting yourselves through quite the display of mental gymnastics to convince yourselves we didn't settle on Woodson.

21 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

180* wrong.   Blue blood means historic.  Foundational.  All time championships both national and conference.  Programs that built and shaped what we have now in every sport (the Knicks, for example are a blue blood NBA team).    There is no "momentary" blue blood status; nor is a team "still" a blue blood.   You either are or you aren't.   In college basketball, it's Indiana, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, probably Duke and probably UCLA.   For example, what will it mean for college basketball as a whole if Purdue becomes a national powerhouse?    Not a whole hell of a lot.   What will it mean when Indiana does so again?    You know the answer as well as I do.  Reason?  College basketball's better when Indiana's good.  Same as college football's better when Notre Dame's good.  Why?  Blue bloods have that kind of clout.  And they always will.  It's not a temporary condition.   There's a reason IU is RIGHT NOW the #3 revenue generating college basketball program even as bad as they've been.  You're making up your own definition and then arguing against it.    

Historically Indiana is a top ten program. In the last 20 years, they have not been a top 25 program. Both can be true. Doesn't mean they can't get back. 

46 minutes ago, BadgerVol said:

usually post on another site. First time here..

Devastated by this hire but what do you do? Hope it works. It’s pathetic when a message board of a Blue Blood program has countless posts convincing each other this is going to work, instead of everyone freaking out in excitement for what everyone KNOWS is coming.

Can this work? Yes. Anything is possible.

But I was WAY more excited about both Crean and Archie than this one. And I wasn’t that excited for either. So maybe this will be the key. Unite the fanbase by getting someone barely anyone thought was possible to even seriously consider. Now we all rally around him.

I’ve appreciated arguments for why you believe he’ll be a good hire folks. I’m grasping for ANYTHING at this point.

BADGE!! Good to see ya bud, hope you’ve been doing well.

Trust me, I get it and it’s not a sexy hire that we all thought it would be. My biggest suggestion is while being frustrated, go into it with an open mind because you never know what might happen. We have Matta on staff, and if we can get some top level assistants this could be a home run situation. If we can somehow get Lewis from UCLA, that brings a high level pedigree for and offensive guru. 

Lastly, this fanbase has been fractured ever since Bobby was fired. Instead of us bickering and continuously never being satisfied, let’s finally come together and support our new coach! Give them 100% from us, and maybe we can get over this “curse” that seems to be over this program since Coach Knight. 

Incoming transfers could make all the difference for next year if we have roster departures.
could we even get better possibly?
Hopefully a couple of bigs can transfer in

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, DoddsHouse said:

I haven't read all 43 pages, but judging by the first page (and discussion leading up to this) I'm guessing a lot of people aren't happy with this. 

Did you really think that Brad Stevens was coming? People talked themselves into something that never had a chance. 

Woodson's not exactly a home run but I like it a lot more than taking a stab at some mid-major darling who ends up completely in over his head. Woodson should at least be able to win games and get to the tournament which I'll ******* take at this point over being at the bottom with Nebraska and Penn State. Woodson's NBA experience, even if he was moderately successful at best, earns him points with recruits and I have more confidence that players will buy in. It didn't look like players really respected little Archie from the start. 

If nothing else I'm excited for a fresh start. Here's to hoping great success for Woodson and that one day we can all look back and laugh at these takes. 

I'm not happy but never thought Stevens was coming. I did buy the hype about Dolson "gets it" and was taking this seriously. Really expected him to hire a proven winner, maybe Oats or Mussleman! Instead waited 2 weeks to find out he hired an old NBA assistant that nobody else wanted. Main qualities? He was a good player at IU in the 70's and Jamal Crawford likes him. If 12-15 other coaches turned IU down ....maybe then you give up and settle for Woodson. I doubt that happened and am disgusted. 

I hope we all laugh at this too, but more likely will cry in 3 years when IU is still struggling. 

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

Isn't it possible that Lander was in Louisville and just couldn't make it back in time? I don't want to interpret his absence as a sign he's leaving. We don't know how short notice the meeting was or if the players were tipped off earlier to a hire being announced Sunday / being told to be around Sunday.

thought Lander had been contacted by C Mack almost as soon as he entered the transfer portal?