Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just hope it wasn't Lander visiting UL on unofficial visit

Evansville is right by lousiville. His message made it pretty clear he wants to talk to our new coach 

edit: within reasonable driving distance. 

Edited by Hoosierfanyuh

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Did they not think about Google Maps’ing that before his decision to come here?

I would assume in the pre COVID world that they were willing to fly to a lot of games. Geronimo did go to a very pricey boarding school. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

My initial guess, based on no insider information at all, is that Hunter is retained while Roberts is probably gone. I think everyone knows Ostrom is long gone.

Ostrom was not retained so he is already gone

Just now, 8bucks said:

It is a much longer drive when your kid does not play. Far more tolerable if he got some consistent PT. 

I think 14 hours would be terrible either way, but if that’s your deciding factor on leaving, it seems like you didn’t do much homework. Wish him the best if true though. I’ll hate seeing him blossom somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

An unofficial visit in athletics terms is very illegal right now, just FYI. 

Excellent point. That I wasn't aware of, but do you think that would stop UofL? That seems minor for them ... LOL ... JK

I don't know if I am as concerned about losing Lander as everyone else. True, he had no business in the B1G last season as a reclass, but his shooting, and general decision making, which should have traveled with despite his size was to me not impressive. At least not 5* impressive. I am not trying to dog the kid, but most players as skinny as he is that are successful, are 7-10 inches taller than he is. That frame is not going to add 25-30 lbs of muscle, and it would inhibit his game anyways. the comparison I keep thinking of is that kid from Syracuse, Dolejai(sp?). Skinny as a rail, but 6-9 and impacted the game at both ends. I just dont see it for KL, hope im wrong wherever he ends up, especially if its with us obviously. Just my thoughts. 

12 minutes ago, e1999doubleglock said:

I have been stalking the board for weeks--it has become a total debilitating addiction. Glad it is over...

I really have appreciated everybody's participation and positive attitude during these past couple weeks. Some of you guys are so funny that I nearly pissed me pants multiple times.

Seems to me like the "philanthropists" who made this happen had "zeroed in" on Stevens, but were fully aware that it was a long shot. If that didn't work out, Dolson was not free to go get whoever he pleased. Remember, it wasn't his money. Plan B was to go get "IU guy" and Woodson seemed to be the most qualified. So the "donor" was not necessarily driving the car, but he was paying for the gas.

I am personally excited about it. I think Woodson is going to be a fantastic recruiter and more importantly, a developer of talent. Archie couldn't develop a turd in his colon---all diarrhea..

Plus, we get a chance to see if "IU guy" is the missing piece to our return to prominence or not. 

If it doesn't work out, then we just go and get a new coach and a new plan. Not the end of the world. IUBB will be fine. It cannot get worse than 12 and 15. Excited to see Woodson and crew get to work. The decisions of the portal guys will be telling. 

I'm with Archie on that one as I'm colonoscopy prepping tonight...

5 minutes ago, goonaha said:

I would assume in the pre COVID world that they were willing to fly to a lot of games. Geronimo did go to a very pricey boarding school. 

A lot of boarding schools give scholarships to b-ball players (to be clear....I have ZERO idea if that was the case with Geronimo).

46 minutes ago, Papacap said:

In terms of the process, those search committees we have used in the past worked well. I love the fact that Dolson said, this is my decision (I’m sure with tons of input), and he will make his stand with this hire.

I’m not saying people can’t have their different opinions on Woody. But I love this process. Dolson showed some stones here.

I liked that part of the process, basically everything except the guy Dolson decided on.

If you asked every athletic director of a Power 5 school to put together a list of 10 candidates they would interview if they needed to hire someone, do you think Mike Woodson cracks any of those lists?

This is not a hire that a big boy program like Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc. would make.  This hire is a massive, massive reach.

If it's true he targeted Woodson after being denied by Stevens, and he never made a call to Chris Beard, then that is a huge question mark against Dolson.  Seriously, that is incompetence at its finest.

6 minutes ago, Ranger78 said:

Excellent point. That I wasn't aware of, but do you think that would stop UofL? That seems minor for them ... LOL ... JK

Welllll....a kid is more than welcome to tour a campus on their own. As long as a member of the staff doesn’t speak with them in person (obviously) or on the phone the day before, of, and (I think) after the tour. So, interpret that however you wish.

usually post on another site. First time here..

Devastated by this hire but what do you do? Hope it works. It’s pathetic when a message board of a Blue Blood program has countless posts convincing each other this is going to work, instead of everyone freaking out in excitement for what everyone KNOWS is coming.

Can this work? Yes. Anything is possible.

But I was WAY more excited about both Crean and Archie than this one. And I wasn’t that excited for either. So maybe this will be the key. Unite the fanbase by getting someone barely anyone thought was possible to even seriously consider. Now we all rally around him.

I’ve appreciated arguments for why you believe he’ll be a good hire folks. I’m grasping for ANYTHING at this point.

2 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I liked that part of the process, basically everything except the guy Dolson decided on.

If you asked every athletic director of a Power 5 school to put together a list of 10 candidates they would interview if they needed to hire someone, do you think Mike Woodson cracks any of those lists?

This is not a hire that a big boy program like Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc. would make.  This hire is a massive, massive reach.

If it's true he targeted Woodson after being denied by Stevens, and he never made a call to Chris Beard, then that is a huge question mark against Dolson.  Seriously, that is incompetence at its finest.

This is Indiana and who cares who those guys would hire.  UNC hired Matt Dougherty so they did the same thing.  Maybe Iu heard the same thing about beard that UCLA did when they decided not to reach out to Beard.