Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Two weeks ago when rumors started about the job status of Miller I wouldn't have liked Mike Woodson. I'll admit it's growing on me. He wasn't on my top 5 wish list but I will give him a chance. 

Pros

1) He wants the job. I really don't think Archie wanted to be at IU. He just wanted to coach basketball. That's just now how it works at Indiana. 

2) Today's group wants to get to the NBA. Mike Woodson played for a decade in the NBA and coached for around 25 years with 9 years as a HC. One think I saw was he led the Hawks and Knicks to their best season in years. 

3) It has been said that he relates well to younger players and that he knows his X's and O's. If so, this will be a great hire. 

4) He coached in New York-the biggest marked in the world. He can handle Bloomington unlike the previous coach. 

Cons/Concerns 

1) Can he recruit? He has to have a monster staff. I hope he can retain Kenya. If he does I think a lot of our guys in the portal return. It is important he gets off to a good start. Indiana HAS to have some momentum. They have none right now. 

2) If he went to another university, would he be a candidate? I guess he checks the boxes, but just makes me wonder. 

I expect things to move fast. It's possible we know of some players/staff by the end of the week. If he can return our core guys and bring some transfers in, a tournament appearance should be expected. My hope is Woody can leave the program in good shape. I'm not calling it a home run hire. I'm not demanding he hang a 6th banner. What I want is for IU to be fun to watch again. For the program to compete in the B1G and nationally. It is hard to win a National Championship. I want Indiana to win a National Championship but they have some work to get there. 

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I’m confused by this. He said “yeah I’ll be your coach, but actually I won’t lmao bye” ..? 

Seemed like a lot of conversations were happening with his agent, not him directly. He was probably interested but at the end of the day using the situation to get a raise sounded just as good. 

I mean going into the tournament. I thought the PAC 12 was the worse P5 league in the country. 2 weeks later ... they might be the best. My point... who the hell knows. Everybody wants the sure-fire hire that can't miss and I think it changes daily.

I think we should give coach Mike a chance ...

5 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I’m not a tool, I call it how I see it. This is a bad process and very questionable hire. 

I haven't disagreed with many of your points, but I'd just say that I thought the process, or lack there of, of the last football HC hire was a terrible process and that's worked out quite well so far. No idea if Woodson will work or not, but I'm willing to let it play out for the same reason as I don't know who would have been a solid hire anymore. I was wrong on both Archie and Allen.

I know I'm in the minority here but I like the hire, we need a hard nose coach who knows IU's culture from days past (which is what everyone always clamors for when referencing Coach Knight). I believe Coach Woodson will bring leadership, discipline and grit back to the program. He is a smart guy and will figure out the recruiting very easily in my opinion, look at the stories he could tell to potential recruits. Go ahead and flame away but I like that this is not a "shiny new toy" hire. We obviously could not get it right previously so going a different route should change things.

Go Hoosiers!

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Oh believe me, everyone here is well aware of you calling it as you see it. It's hard to miss the 200 posts outlining the same opinion on repeat. 

Then live with it. I’m posting on a basketball board. I’m not going to name call him because I respect the man, but get over yourself, I have a right to post my opinion as many times as I want. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

OK instead of Indiana guy how about an RMK guy who knows and loves IU basketball.  Every coach before RMK was an IU guy. and that won 2 titles.  Coach K was not a Duke guy but all of his assistants are former Duke players and the next HC will probably be one of those guys.  Dean Smith was not a UNC guy but after him all of their HC that have been hired was an UNC guy.

And dean smith was a phog allen guy. Coaching trees are fun

Just now, Banksyrules said:

Then live with it. I’m posting on a basketball board. I’m not going to name call him because I respect the man, but get over yourself, I have a right to post my opinion as many times as I want. 

You do in-fact have a right to continue to post it. I also have a right to continue to poke fun at it. In your own words, get over it.

I’ll be more sold if we get Lewis, a big time recruiter who bends the rules ;), and another recruiter. 

If we can get AJ Moye / Guyton  in support roles then I’ll lead the Woodson Wagon.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Gave a verbal agreement early on but wouldn’t sign, maybe Celtics reminded him about something in his contract, but we gave a deadline and he said no. We had this plan ready.

Do you think this plan we had ready includes knowing the assistant coaches Mike will have on his staff, or are those positions not set yet and are just hopeful candidates discussed that he might go after? 

19 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I hope we don’t settle for Big Ten Chanpionships. Is he going to the final four and a championship game? That’s where Indiana is suppose to be. 

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Winning the big ten was the only thing RMK ever talked about according to former players.  With this philosophy he sure did well

Any schmoe can make a fluke EE or FF run, as we've learned from our last two coaches. But you're not going become a consistent FF/NC threat without being the caliber of team that routinely wins conference championships. If Woodson has us near the top of the B1G every year, I don't care if he hangs another banner. This isn't just about instant gratification, this is a long term investment in the health of the program.

4 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I’m not a tool, I call it how I see it. This is a bad process and very questionable hire. 

In terms of the process, those search committees we have used in the past worked well. I love the fact that Dolson said, this is my decision (I’m sure with tons of input), and he will make his stand with this hire.

I’m not saying people can’t have their different opinions on Woody. But I love this process. Dolson showed some stones here.