Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

5 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

After some drinks I’ve gone from warming up to the Woodson hire to fully ecstatic about it. LFG Woody, glad we got somebody whose dream job it is to coach here!

Edit: I love the Woodshed idea too. Hopefully the team gives the students something to cheer for.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

your welcome

sh*t ... maybe I better get ahold of a copyright atty... 

The Thad Matta part of this is interesting. It's similar to how Alabama football has been operating over the last 10 - 15 years. (And I'm not comparing ALA football to IU basketball) They seem to innovate changes to benefit their end game. ALA always has consultants that help the program. They make up job titles daily.

The AD is bringing in pieces to help facilitate the program that is a little outside the norm. You bring in a head coach that loves the school and has a strong basketball background. And then you start backfilling him to make the program successful. This might work. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I tried to say it before for those who think his nba career win percentage matters here. Schematically he’s likely going to be the best coach we’ve had since Knight. The biggest question will be can he RECRUIT! 

Knicks fans are upset he’s leaving and hoping he doesn’t take Kenny Payne with him. 

AAF4D76A-755A-4660-9099-7F8DFCB6BFD2.png

Don’t see why Kenny Payne would come to be an assistant when he could’ve been the HC at Depaul

3 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I tried to say it before for those who think his nba career win percentage matters here. Schematically he’s likely going to be the best coach we’ve had since Knight. The biggest question will be can he RECRUIT! 

Knicks fans are upset he’s leaving and hoping he doesn’t take Kenny Payne with him. 

AAF4D76A-755A-4660-9099-7F8DFCB6BFD2.png

I would love to hire Kenny Payne, but if he's turning down college head coach jobs this offseason, he's not going to come be an assistant again just because he worked with Woodson for 6 months. And not sure IU would get into those waters after turning nose up at Beard and Drew. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have my thoughts on this if you care. Stevens was plan A. Woodson and Matta was plan B. Woodson IU ties, Matta health make them great together. That was the search 

Yeah, I guess I should have read more into his call not to use a search committee. That signals, or should’ve signaled, a provincial, relationship-based process. And I just didn’t get there at all. Ordinarily would not be keen on such a process. But it’s Mike freaking Woodson, my basketball hero! So I’m good.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have my thoughts on this if you care. Stevens was plan A. Woodson and Matta was plan B. Woodson IU ties, Matta health make them great together. That was the search 

Agree with this. There will always be doomsayers claiming “everyone else turned us down” but I take people at their word. Dolson wanted an NBA guy that recruits would like and who would install a modern system. Yes he inquired with a few others, but this seemed to be the direction the entire time.

your welcome
   sh*t ... maybe I better get ahold of a copyright atty... 

Woody’s squad better establish a sense of physicality and rim-protection first but if so, get on that copyright quick.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, goonaha said:

I would love to hire Kenny Payne, but if he's turning down college head coach jobs this offseason, he's not going to come be an assistant again just because he worked with Woodson for 6 months. And not sure IU would get into those waters after turning nose up at Beard and Drew. 

I’m not sure we turned out nose up at these guys. From what I’ve heard, I truly believe Stevens was option A and Woodson was B. 

3 minutes ago, Demo said:

Yeah, I guess I should have read more into his call not to use a search committee. That signals, or should’ve signaled, a provincial, relationship-based process. And I just didn’t get there at all. Ordinarily would not be keen on such a process. But it’s Mike freaking Woodson, my basketball hero! So I’m good.

Dolson had a verbal agreement with Brad, he just couldn’t get him to sign anything. But he also knew that Woody wanted this job.

2 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

kinda... sybill

We hired a mid major coach who was on my Top 5. I wasn’t happy. 

Now we’re hiring a guy who wouldn’t be hired without an IU degree. I’ll warm up to him but I’m not buying too much stock in this. I think there’s a decent chance we’re searching for a new coach again in 4 years.

We’ll see!

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Did he interview any other candidates?