Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Just to put coaching hires into perspective, I did a quick analysis of probably the best major conference hires over the last 25 years (essentially what does a eventually successful hire look like initially). I found 11 guys that have had consistent success and at least 1 final 4 appearance. Of those, only 3 left a major conference job, one of which was Tony Bennett who likely wasn’t going to find consistent success at Wash St. At the end of the day, successful power conference coaches rarely leave their job and/or the transition doesn’t end up being successful. Most its about getting lucky and/or finding the right fit

Roy Williams – great resume and was leaving a team just coming off of back to back final 4s. UNC is a elite draw, but Williams past connections to UNC are probably the only way he leaves Kansas

Bill Self – At Illinois 3 years, with an elite 8 and sweet 16 appearance. Leaves to take over an elite program that is performing at a high level – no rebuild needed.

Izzo – Long time assistant with no head coaching experience

Pitino – great resume, but technically unemployed when hired by Louisville after resigning from NBA job

Calipari – long head coaching resume, including unsuccessful NBA stint, leaving a very good spot for him (Memphis), although not a power conference team

Billy Donovan – left Marshall

Jay Wright – left Hofstra

Tony Bennett – left Wash St after 3 seasons, but was probably maxing out with one sweet 16 appearance

Thad Matta – left Butler

Chris Beard – left Little Rock

Bo Ryan – left Milwaukee

Edited by PB1230

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I spent a great day celebrating my first grand child's first birthday so everything in my world is great.

Congrats... as a 17 time veteran, I can tell you there is something incredible about grandkids... family makes everything in life better.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was told being a grand parent is so different than being a dad and they are right.  She has my heart and love her so much

Yes, it is so different. I see the individual personalities so much better with my grandkids than I ever did with my kids. I think it's probably because the day to day of being a parent is so challenging.

4 minutes ago, HoosierBoiler said:

Move the students down on the court level call it the wood shed! I freaking love it!

It’s a shame we’d lose so much blue hair donor money that we can’t put students behind both baskets and on the sideline opposite of the benches. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I really wonder what reaction Dolson was expecting from both fans and media?

Did he think the "IU guy" thing would win the day, or I wonder if he expected some mixed reactions at best and he would have to sell this. 

I would assume he knew it will be a miss bag of responses. If it were me I couldn't care less what some fans think

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I like it. Has potential to be successful. Very different from Howard, Penny or Ewing. None of them had any head coaching experience. Penny's was 1 season at the HS level. Woodson has several years at the NBA level. Coaching is coaching. Can he recruit? I don't know. Maybe. I guess we will see. His assistants are important and getting Matta was huge. 

Also, while Penny was an absolutely huge star for a few years, injuries really cut his career short, and he had effectively fallen off the map years before current recruits were even born.

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I like it. Has potential to be successful. Very different from Howard, Penny or Ewing. None of them had any head coaching experience. Penny's was 1 season at the HS level. Woodson has several years at the NBA level. Coaching is coaching. Can he recruit? I don't know. Maybe. I guess we will see. His assistants are important and getting Matta was huge. 

We might get a long after all! LOL

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I really wonder what reaction Dolson was expecting from both fans and media?

Did he think the "IU guy" thing would win the day, or I wonder if he expected some mixed reactions at best and he would have to sell this. 

I honestly don't think he cares.  He really believes in Woody, I'm guessing!