Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

16 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Ok being a huge Knicks fan I’m trying to be fair as I possibly can.

Pros-

1) Nice guy

2) knows his Xs and Os and anyone who decides to come in will walk away better. 

3) If all current (freshman) stay we will make a run in the tournament by the time they’re seniors. Specifically Lander who can become an elite point guard under him.

4) An IU guy (personally I don’t care but maybe it can help?)

5) Tries to hold everyone accountable.

6) understands the need to hire great assistants.  Frankly because he had to deal with incompetent NBA front offices.

Cons-

1) I don’t know if has the energy to recruit. Specifically elite recruits.  I know people say his staff will do a lot of leg work but Head Coaches in elite schools (maybe we’re not anymore) do they’re fair share as well. This is my observations being close to seeing Coach K and Roy  work at times.

2) His age. I could have accepted this more if we hired him instead of coach Crean.  Now, I don’t how much longer he can coach.

3) He can be pushed around. A lot of the Knick players liked him a lot, but it was posted many a time that when the best players pushed back he always backed off.  I hope that if a player calls him out at IU he can keep the ship together.  

4) Has to learn how the college game works.  Not an easy transition.  

I hope I’m being fair. I’ll root for the guy. I’m just not going to watch until we’re winning consistently. My blood pressure can’t take it. He was ninth on my list.  For the sake of the program I hope it works out. 

Agree with 1 & 2.  

In regards to #3 it appears to me that EVERY NBA coach backs off when a player pushes back.  The coaches that don't (outside of maybe a few) get seen the door before the star player does. 

With #4 I think the pro game is ahead of where the college game is.  It seems like  most colleges are trying to mimic the style of play in the NBA.  I see this as a positive.  If you're referring to style of play and not other aspects of the college basketball. 

9 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Every team has those “ I know it all kids” these kids can help you or really destroy the chemistry of the team. 

Right but you can actually punish a kid in college for talking back, where if you try in the NBA you will once again be told to F off 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I did not read through all of the pages but probably got mainly your negative post which is your right to be negative.  He was not my fist choice but after Stevens, Beilein or Matta I was not really thrilled with anyone else out there.  I was never sold on Oats or Muslleman because they seem to much of a flash in the pan and haven't proven that much.  I also don't think those two were going to leave anyway so that is a mute point.  There must be something up with Beard because Goodman said that UCLA and now IU has not reached out to him about their openings.

I have seen IU go outside the IU family for 21 years and get some top candidates but it has not worked.  My thinking it was time to go this route to see if an IU guy can get us back because they know what it takes to win at IU and what the fan base is like.

I have been a fan for 50 years and I will be one until god calls me home so I will back Woodson as our next coach.  I just hope everyone will go in with an open mind and give him a chance.  I know some will say they are through with IU basketball and that is your right to do that but I will only say one thing see ya.  also if anyone wants to give their season tickets away I will take them.  Sports are for entertainment and think some take it way to seriously if they get this upset over who is hired at IU.  I spent a great day celebrating my first grand child's first birthday so everything in my world is great.

I think most fans wanted Oats/Musselman more as a flex about stealing another power conference coach rather a real preference based on coaching ability

4 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

I think most fans wanted Oats/Musselman more as a flex about stealing another power conference coach rather a real preference based on coaching ability

I would agree with this.  I think it was a way of showing we still mattered to many...

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I spent a great day celebrating my first grand child's first birthday so everything in my world is great.

Nothing is better than that. I have 8 grandkids ranging from 4 to 24. We celebrate every birthday. IU basketball is fun, the grandkids are an experience like no other. Can't imagine life without them.

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt that Trayce will at least test the nba waters without signing an agent. 

For sure. But how nice to have your new head coach be able to guide you and give objective, highly experienced feedback on the NBA.  What a great opportunity to build trust with TJD and the other players.

12 minutes ago, JJacks said:

Agree with 1 & 2.  

In regards to #3 it appears to me that EVERY NBA coach backs off when a player pushes back.  The coaches that don't (outside of maybe a few) get seen the door before the star player does. 

With #4 I think the pro game is ahead of where the college game is.  It seems like  most colleges are trying to mimic the style of play in the NBA.  I see this as a positive.  If you're referring to style of play and not other aspects of the college basketball. 

I don’t think it’s a matter of backing off. They’re just different relationships. NBA coach/player relationships are more fraternal and in college they’re more paternal. You don’t talk to 30 year old millionaires like you talk to 20 year college students. 
On your last point, yeah, the NBA is miles ahead of college in scheme diversity. I fully expect Woodson to walk into the B1G as a top 3 guy in terms of X’s and O’s.

Every time we hire the wrong guy, our program falls further and further. I hope I’m wrong about this hire, and Coach Woodson knocks it out of the park. We definitely need an identity. I am hopeful an Indiana guy will be the answer this time. However, I still would have asked Oats, Musselman, Beard and Belein before Woodson. I’m nervous because I was right about Tom Crean and Archie Miller, and I didn’t like Sampson or Davis. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Well if it makes anyone feel better, everyone on our lists turned us down! 

We had a list of two. Stevens said, “Scott, I’d love to coach IU. But we all know Woody is the guy”.

At least, it could have happened that way........

Edited by Papacap

Just now, cthomas said:

Nothing is better than that. I have 8 grandkids ranging from 4 to 24. We celebrate every birthday. IU basketball is fun, the grandkids are an experience like no other. Can't imagine life without them.

I was told being a grand parent is so different than being a dad and they are right.  She has my heart and love her so much

4 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

You guys tell me Woodson is better than waiting on Musselman, Oats, or taking Beard if possible

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

None of those guys where coming.  Your college options where Moser or Enfield.  

1 hour ago, Elstrick0908 said:

IU fans are the worst. This choice has so much upside, and nearly zero downside. After all, we can’t get any worse than we have been! We speak out of the both sides of our mouths: “need someone that can run today’s style of bball”, but not that well-respected NBA GUY! Need a former IU guy, but not THAT IU guy! We are truly insufferable. That said, I’m excited for this hire. I think this is a very positive thing for IUBB, and cannot wait until next season!

Nearly zero downside?  Geez...

How about we never do better a 65% winning percentage (which is what he's shown his ceiling is), and only make the tournament every other year.

He fails to connect with high school kids and doesn't recruit well, because let's face it, a lot of people don't even know who he is and he's never recruited before.  Like it or not, kids want to be recruited by the head coach, not just the assitants.

He also tarnishes the positive legacy he has here, gets fired after 5 or 6 subpar years, and we're right back in this same place hoping for Brad Stevens again.